Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Planar Protector

I can't believe people willingly work in sales. Go set up a stall in a bazaar back in esfahan fucking weirdos
Old 12-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Selling to the masses and selling to business are 2 different things that I don't think you fully understand judging by your statement.
My friend for you I have very special price
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They think "Wow there are too many stupid people. Let's make a big competition where we take the top 5% of them and shower them with opportunity and give everyone else less...That should help with the stupid people problem."
To be fair, this approach works well where the dregs of society aren't subsidized and slowly die off along with their progeny. This is the truth behind pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And even when the major would seem applicable (eg. Computer Science), it turns out it's really a proxy, because 80% of what you learn in computer science is not transferable to a programming job (that's why the major is called Computer Science and not Computer Programming).

Ultimately as computers/robots take over more and more jobs, and as the jobs remaining require real specialized skills that aren't taught in school (eg. practical programming), we're going to see more and more non-proxy solutions. Nine month hacker boot camps are a perfect example of this: I would much rather hire a fresh grad from Hack Reactor than a fresh Computer Science major ... even though the comp sci major spent four years and the Hack Reactor grad less than one. Because Hack Reactor is more about real skills and less about being a proxy, I know their grads are more likely to actually have the skills I need.
I gotta white knight for computer science grads here. No way I'd hire some 9 month hacker boot camp grad, unless that grad somehow managed to demonstrate he effectively understood what you'd otherwise have learned from a reputable computer science college. You wouldn't want to end up with a dev team composed of dilettantes and web devs tasked to solve challenging software engineering problems. There's a reason good CS grads get 100k+ out of college in entry level positions.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I gotta white knight for computer science grads here. No way I'd hire some 9 month hacker boot camp grad, unless that grad somehow managed to demonstrate he effectively understood what you'd otherwise have learned from a reputable computer science college. You wouldn't want to end up with a dev team composed of dilettantes and web devs tasked to solve challenging software engineering problems. There's a reason good CS grads get 100k+ out of college in entry level positions.
That and because they usually have been working for free for 2 years.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That and because they usually have been working for free for 2 years.
Decent CS internships are around 6k a month. (I should clarify, that's during summer vacation while in school. You don't really do internships after graduating with CS degrees.)
Last edited by fash; 12-20-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

tagged

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

Triggered
Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Decent CS internships are around 6k a month. (I should clarify, that's during summer vacation while in school. You don't really do internships after graduating with CS degrees.)
I meant during college. It has become customary to do internships for the last year or two. Summer Internships are exclusive in many fields -- but perhaps more attainable to CS.

Let me point out something that conservative (and I mean in the generic philosophical sense) have a rough time with. Getting a CS Degree is a clever move right now given the current dynamics of the economy. This assumes were talking about someone who likes working in computer science and doesn't have better options. OK, so what?

If lots of people did this... they would be paid less. And then it wouldn't be so fucking clever to be a CS major. This is probably what will happen at some point once Z and the other generation after it start hitting college. Computers are part of everyone's childhood now -- its not going to be as rare and in demand to get a good programing hire.

I come to fucking conservatives all the time with macro problems...and they answer me like I just asked them: "Hey Fash, whats the best move for a kid in a good middle class situation to make it these days.?"

"Oh computer science...fucking lady da. Let's get down to an inner city classroom and get Jammel typing and I'm sure the whole macro problem with wealth distribution we were talking about will just go away."

That is -- if they make it right? Because anyone that can't at least get a fucking CS degree is a piece of shit and waste of money. That is unitil it some other job in 5 years.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

betsy devos changing that obama shit about that one loan program forgiving all student debt that took money from them

the case was that this company gave false promises about graduation rates/income after graduation, but its changing thanks to the superior intelect of Betsy Devos:

was "did you have a loan through this company? yes? ok its forgiven now"

to "did you get a job with a salary of XX,XXX+? yes? ok it is no longer forgiven and you must pay it back"

Now, I think this is funny for a few reasons.. 1. the libcucks that were so happy about their debt being forgiven, will have to pay it back now after a few years of feelin good and liberal, and 2. it just fucking makes sense.
Closed Thread