Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Default Heros of the Storm

Bueller...Bueller?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

There was a post a few months ago about it. can dig it up. I went through the tutorial and its like a simplified version of LoL to me so passed.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

LoL is just a simplifed version of dota2 iirc? I haven't really gotten into a moba before..dabbled with dota1/2.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LoL is just a simplifed version of dota2 iirc? I haven't really gotten into a moba before..dabbled with dota1/2.
Ive never played DOTA. ive watched a few streams and i just didnt see enough to make me want to switch from LoL. I'm one that likes things in LoL like laning phases and itemizing 2 of which there is none in HotS.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

No, LOL is not a simplified version of DOTA2. LOL came out a long time before DOTA2, so you could call DOTA2 a true successor to DOTA while LOL deviated from the DOTA vision by cleaning up a lot of things, but it's hardly a version of DOTA2.

Likewise, HOTS streamlines even more things. Perhaps a bit too far because they made HOTS a very passive game. You basically AFK in lane and only clear creeps to keep them from reaching your turrets. Some maps may require you to acquire a PVE objective. This is still rather passive play for anybody that intended to play a PVP game.

I played HOTS beta for 20 levels, and then it started feeling like doing WOW daily quests all over again because I was mindlessly going through games against bots over and over again. They actively discourage communication with your teammates. Nobody was playing against other players before they got to level 40. It was all bot games.

The game is definitely unique, but it requires less skill than LOL or DOTA2. And that's the kind of players it will attract.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

I've never played any MOBA. Why should I play one?
Old 06-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never played any MOBA. Why should I play one?
MOBAs are a different kind of PVP game from an MMO. The scope of a MOBA is extremely narrow. It's basically rated BGs or arenas from WOW pulled out to be standalone. Most of the time, they're presented in top down RTS fashion, but they can also be done with the camera in a third-person behind view similar to MMOs (Smite).

In each match of a MOBA, you select an existing champion from a predetermined pool, and then you customize him through levels and sometimes items available in the current match. The first team to destroy the opponents base wins. At the end of the match, progress on that champion can go towards your personal progress, but it will not carry over to the next match. They always start over.

There's no gear to grind, no PP to spend, and no attachment to the champions. This puts everybody on even footing, but only if the champion pool is balanced. This varies from game to game.

So you should play MOBAs if you're into PVP, but are not looking for the time sink related to MMOs. You can jump in, kill 20 minutes, and move on with your life when you're done.

Or you can play another match. It's up to you.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(HOTS) They actively discourage communication with your teammates.
They know the score, the MOBA community is full of assholes - if its more tricky for people to communicate they get to keep everything flowery for their kiddie player base.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Large Rat

If you're going to get into MOBA's pick up Dota 2. By far the best one out there (and ive tried them all). Just understand that you will suck for hundreds of hours, and will get your ass kicked. There's no easy transition into playing MOBA's unless you've played them before.
Closed Thread