Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: What is third most challenging class to play SSF?
Ranger 12 29.27%
Paladin 26 63.41%
Shadow Knight 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2024, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Default Third most challenging class to play SSF

After Rogue and Warrior, what is third most challenging class to play SSF?
Old 01-04-2024, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

At first I was gonna say Ranger...but it might be paladin.

Definitely not SK. FD / snare kiting too strong.

Either way its going to be far easier than your rogue and war!
Old 01-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

I just responded to your SSF Warrior thread. It seems you made a new thread here though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Will just move the post over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At first I was gonna say Ranger...but it might be paladin.

Definitely not SK. FD / snare kiting too strong.
It's between Ranger or Paladin for sure in this list of hybrids. Paladin will work better in dungeons, but Rangers can kite indefinitely in outdoor zones.

None of the remaining classes will be difficult to solo with in the same sense as a Rogue/Warrior. Difficulty now comes down to speed of soloing, diversity of zones/camps the class thrives in, and which drawbacks of the class annoy you the most.

A naked Monk has FD and Mend, which means they are reasonably safe. They will have low AC, HP, and DPS however. You will be FDing fights you cannot finish due to bad RnG where the mob hits you a lot, and you miss a lot.

A naked Shadowknight will finish fights more consistently due to fear kiting and having a pet. The pet augments the Shadowknight's damage a bit better in this scenario because SSF weapons are generally bad. But they will probably be sitting/meditating often due to not having efficient recovery tools like Mend. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells. You'll need to spend time building up your bone chip supply early on, unless you plan on sticking to undead zones.

A naked Ranger will be restricted to outdoor zones generally speaking. They can fear kite animals and bow kite with SoW. They can finish fights consistently, albeit at a slower speed. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells.

A naked Paladin is less restricted than a Cleric zone-wise, as they can use melee for damage instead of undead nukes. You'll need to root + camp mobs on failed lulls, as Paladins do not get Divina Aura until level 55. Running to the zoneline without a speed buff will be more dangerous, but a Paladins increased tankiness may make up for the lack of Divine Aura a bit. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells.

A naked Bard gets a DoT, Speed Buff, HP Regeneration, and Lull by level 8. Things may be a bit slow in the beginning, but you'll be able to consistently finish mobs that other classes could not in the same level range.

A naked Shaman will start off slow, as they will need to root/rot mobs instead of slow tanking them with melee. They start picking up after level 24, when you get regeneration and cannibalize. You'll probably need to quest for a decent weapon like https://wiki.project1999.com/Gatorsmash_Maul to enable slow tanking + meleeing.

A naked Cleric is restricted to undead zones generally speaking. Undead nukes will be your primary source of damage. You'll need to root + camp mobs on failed lulls, or run them to the zoneline without a speed buff. Luckily they have DA at least to make the run a bit safer.

A naked Druid will be restricted to outdoor zones generally speaking. They start off slow until level 14 when you get SoW, your first decent DoT, and your first animal charm. Then you can kill anything that isn't too resistant by kiting it.

A naked Wizard is going to be spending a lot of time meditating after nuking a mob down. Without SoW or JBoots your ability to quad kite will be impaired. I haven't tried quad kiting without SoW/JBoots, but I imagine it isn't great. Perhaps you could snare all of the mobs first when pulling them, but then it will be harder to stack them up on top of each other for AoE damage.

A naked Enchanter starts off slow until level 12, when you get your first charm spell. With a lower mana pool you will run into scenarios where you are out of mana due to fizzles, spell resists, early spell breaks, etc. This will cause you to gate more often to save yourself.

A naked Magician will be slow for the first 4 levels when you don't have a pet. The lack of root means you have camp restrictions. Their pet is powerful by itself, so you'll level quickly at any Magician appropriate camp.

A naked Necromancer gets their first pet spell at level 1. You just need to play a bit more conservatively until level 16 when you get FD. You'll need to spend time building up your bone chip supply early on, unless you plan on sticking to undead zones.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-04-2024 at 04:09 PM..
Old 01-04-2024, 04:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A naked Wizard is going to be spending a lot of time meditating after nuking a mob down. Without SoW or JBoots your ability to quad kite will be impaired. I haven't tried quad kiting without SoW/JBoots, but I imagine it isn't great. Perhaps you could snare all of the mobs first when pulling them, but then it will be harder to stack them up on top of each other for AoE damage.
I know one of the highest priorities on SSF Wizard is usually traveler's boots. If you camp money camps all the way up, I think you usually hit 5k some time in the late 20's to get the run speed buff to enable quad kiting.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know one of the highest priorities on SSF Wizard is usually traveler's boots. If you camp money camps all the way up, I think you usually hit 5k some time in the late 20's to get the run speed buff to enable quad kiting.
Ah that is a good point! I forgot about Traveler's Boots. Yeah you may be able to farm enough money to buy them before you get to the level range where you can camp AC.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

For OP specifically I vote Paladin given the three choices. Currently OP has a tendency to level their SSF characters to 40ish and stop, once the grid becomes too tedious.

Ranger gets Snare and Root by 15, which means they can do cheesy strategies earlier on. They get SoW at 30.

Paladin doesn't have Root + Lull until 22, and doesn't get a decent heal until 39.

Rangers in the earlier levels have a better spell kit than Paladins. Once you start getting to level 40+, the Paladin starts to pull ahead.

If OP was planning on leveling to 60, I would say Ranger is hardest. Paladins get good buffs and healing in the later levels. They can lull in dungeons, which means they can camp more good items than a Ranger.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If OP was planning on leveling to 60, I would say Ranger is hardest. Paladins get good buffs and healing in the later levels. They can lull in dungeons, which means they can camp more good items than a Ranger.
I may take my warrior to 60, we shall see. Rogue, it got to the point where I was killing a single level 35 mob every 20 min or so at level 45 which was too tedious to continue my SSF journey with him. Warrior so far has been far easier than Rogue.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I just responded to your SSF Warrior thread. It seems you made a new thread here though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Will just move the post over.

It's between Ranger or Paladin for sure in this list of hybrids. Paladin will work better in dungeons, but Rangers can kite indefinitely in outdoor zones.

None of the remaining classes will be difficult to solo with in the same sense as a Rogue/Warrior. Difficulty now comes down to speed of soloing, diversity of zones/camps the class thrives in, and which drawbacks of the class annoy you the most.

A naked Monk has FD and Mend, which means they are reasonably safe. They will have low AC, HP, and DPS however. You will be FDing fights you cannot finish due to bad RnG where the mob hits you a lot, and you miss a lot.

A naked Shadowknight will finish fights more consistently due to fear kiting and having a pet. The pet augments the Shadowknight's damage a bit better in this scenario because SSF weapons are generally bad. But they will probably be sitting/meditating often due to not having efficient recovery tools like Mend. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells. You'll need to spend time building up your bone chip supply early on, unless you plan on sticking to undead zones.

A naked Ranger will be restricted to outdoor zones generally speaking. They can fear kite animals and bow kite with SoW. They can finish fights consistently, albeit at a slower speed. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells.

A naked Paladin is less restricted than a Cleric zone-wise, as they can use melee for damage instead of undead nukes. You'll need to root + camp mobs on failed lulls, as Paladins do not get Divina Aura until level 55. Running to the zoneline without a speed buff will be more dangerous, but a Paladins increased tankiness may make up for the lack of Divine Aura a bit. First 9 levels will be slow due to not having any spells.

A naked Bard gets a DoT, Speed Buff, HP Regeneration, and Lull by level 8. Things may be a bit slow in the beginning, but you'll be able to consistently finish mobs that other classes could not in the same level range.

A naked Shaman will start off slow, as they will need to root/rot mobs instead of slow tanking them with melee. They start picking up after level 24, when you get regeneration and cannibalize. You'll probably need to quest for a decent weapon like https://wiki.project1999.com/Gatorsmash_Maul to enable slow tanking + meleeing.

A naked Cleric is restricted to undead zones generally speaking. Undead nukes will be your primary source of damage. You'll need to root + camp mobs on failed lulls, or run them to the zoneline without a speed buff. Luckily they have DA at least to make the run a bit safer.

A naked Druid will be restricted to outdoor zones generally speaking. They start off slow until level 14 when you get SoW, your first decent DoT, and your first animal charm. Then you can kill anything that isn't too resistant by kiting it.

A naked Enchanter starts off slow until level 12, when you get your first charm spell. With a lower mana pool you will run into scenarios where you are out of mana due to fizzles, spell resists, early spell breaks, etc. This will cause you to gate more often to save yourself.

A naked Magician will be slow for the first 4 levels when you don't have a pet. The lack of root means you have camp restrictions. Their pet is powerful by itself, so you'll level quickly at any Magician appropriate camp.

A naked Necromancer gets their first pet spell at level 1. You just need to play a bit more conservatively until level 16 when you get FD. You'll need to spend time building up your bone chip supply early on, unless you plan on sticking to undead zones.
Yep, wanted to seperate this into it's own post. My SSF warrior will continue on until I retire him. I will probably start on this 3rd most challenging class next or in parallel on blue. Pretty good assessment on all the classes, I considered adding Cleric to the poll, but I feel like there is a pretty good jump in soloability between Cleric and the 3 listed in poll. Honestly I probably could have just done a poll between Ranger and Paladin.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

really beyond warrior and rogue ...

3rd most difficult is hard

Any pure caster (int or priest) has it comparatively easy relative to melee. naked with up to date spells ... not hard
Monks don't need much gear to be effective
Bards? Vendor instruments = power

That leaves ranger, sk, pal

Ranger = probably has it easy with harmony snare and root and bow ... even with crap gear
Sk = snare and fd
Pal= good toolkit but dps is low and ...

For SSF I'd say paladin is the next most challenging.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-04-2024, 10:33 PM
Fire Giant

Kind of depends on the era. Hybrids are actually easy SSF. I think I'll go Ranger just because they are shitty indoors and start being terrible at face tanking in the 50's. This limits what items / camps you have available to you.

Ranger was actually my starting char and first 50 on Green and I soloed a lot, but I did my leveling before the Velious fixes QoL fixes, so maybe stuff like Panic Animal is enough of a game changer.

SK is definitely a face roll but in classic & kunark the multiplicative exp pen is a real slog, so the argument could be made it's just a lot more grinding depending on the era / race.

Paladin 1-50 is basically a warrior with heals, buffs, lull and root, so like that's pretty good. But I can see low DPS as a big limiting factor, esp. 50+. One day I need to actually play a Paladin.

Is SSF Wizard that good? I personally power leveled mine mostly, but know life is rough if your mana pool sucks. It is super unfun and limited but yes once you're quadding you can auto pilot exp for the most part.

How is SSF Monk? With Kunark it must be fine once you get a decent weapon, but before then it seems kind of terrible. Human Classic life in particular sounds rough. Bandages cost money, you can't bow kite, and looting hurts your AC.
Last edited by Keebz; 01-04-2024 at 10:38 PM..