Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Banned

Some study shows that we don't know shit about diet:

https://time.com/5600706/personalized-diets-study/

Basically identical twins don't respond identically to the same food. At we can guess it might be about gut bacteria -- which we admittedly know dick about. So there ya go.

Eat less calories eat less processed food seems to be the only thing we can agree upon besides "go out and try shit -- find something that works."
Old 06-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Eating certain types of food supports one type of bacteria or another. They’ve identified a type of bacteria that’s associated with obesity and one that’s associated with leanness. The ratio determines the end result as one outcompetes the other. Smokers, interestingly enough, have a stronger ratio supporting leanness — while they smoke. If you quit, though, you gain an average 10 lbs over the next year. This was thought to be due to higher calorie consumption due to increased appetite, but it was that found that an ex-smoker’s microbiome ratio switches to an obese proportion. The bacteria correlated with obesity are simply more efficient at breaking down food and you essentially consume extra calories with everything you eat until that bacterial population is suppressed.

So a smoker can have a “negative caloric balance” from exercise and diet AND still gain weight after quitting due to shifts in the microbiome. It’s kinda neat. I believe the suggestion i read was just to increase your gut microbiome’s diversity with fermented foods like sauerkraut etc. But yeah we don’t know a damn thing about optomizing the microbiome externally.

It does seem that bad food makes you want to eat bad food though. You’re supporting a particular population with that diet and they literally control your brain to help keep them alive. It’s pretty quick to switch populations, though. I’ve read it’s just like 3 days of a vegetarian diet to change the ratio over to a population that likes veggies.

This may be the reason when I’m eating really healthy that high fat fast food etc just looks unappetizing after I’ve been away from it for awhile.
Last edited by Cecily; 06-10-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Banned

Everyone has a different body

Everyone responds differently to diets

Everyone responds differently to cardio or weightlifting

All you can do is customize a system that not only fits you, but fits your life and recovery time that is comfortable enough to stick with.

Consistency is everything with exercise and diet.

Currently on month 4 keto, its hard in the summer here in florida because you burn up electrolytes like nothing outside. My previous keto ended soon as the heat hit but this time i am trying to stick with it.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

I have mentioned this previousley but no one responded, a friend who is very serious about lifting mentioned something called carb cycling.

Basically its similar to keto, you only eat BROWN rice, and only a very small serving ( 1/4 ) cup of cooked rice 30 minutes after your heaviest weightlifting day.

3 or 4 day cycle, life one day cardio cardio rest repeat

I am on 4 day myself, but i typically do weightlifting for 2 days in a row as 1 day does not really make me sore enough. Day 2 im puffed up and can lift more anyway.

Anyone on some similar system?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eating certain types of food supports one type of bacteria or another. They’ve identified a type of bacteria that’s associated with obesity and one that’s associated with leanness. The ratio determines the end result as one outcompetes the other. Smokers, interestingly enough, have a stronger ratio supporting leanness — while they smoke. If you quit, though, you gain an average 10 lbs over the next year. This was thought to be due to higher calorie consumption due to increased appetite, but it was that found that an ex-smoker’s microbiome ratio switches to an obese proportion. The bacteria correlated with obesity are simply more efficient at breaking down food and you essentially consume extra calories with everything you eat until that bacterial population is suppressed.

So a smoker can have a “negative caloric balance” from exercise and diet AND still gain weight after quitting due to shifts in the microbiome. It’s kinda neat. I believe the suggestion i read was just to increase your gut microbiome’s diversity with fermented foods like sauerkraut etc. But yeah we don’t know a damn thing about optomizing the microbiome externally.

It does seem that bad food makes you want to eat bad food though. You’re supporting a particular population with that diet and they literally control your brain to help keep them alive. It’s pretty quick to switch populations, though. I’ve read it’s just like 3 days of a vegetarian diet to change the ratio over to a population that likes veggies.

This may be the reason when I’m eating really healthy that high fat fast food etc just looks unappetizing after I’ve been away from it for awhile.
There are a couple reasons why experts believe people gain weight after smoking cessation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5021526/

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a couple reasons why experts believe people gain weight after smoking cessation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5021526/
Yep! This is the most interesting one though:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3597605/
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Banned

when i quit smoking i gained 40 pounds because food tasted 10 x better, when i ate it reduced the urge to quit ( until i stopped ) and you are trying to break a psychological habit of smoking as well

everyone gains when they quit
Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Sarnak

I too enjoy *food*, but have never made a habit of polluting the divine temple of the physical manifestation of me. Consequently, I have yet to encounter any sort of egregious weight gain. I do however abstain entirely from food for 4 days each moon to maintain my girlish figure.

*slaps distended tummy, spins gracefully and saunters off*
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Banned

i meant to say while eating it reduced the urge to smoke ( huge reason people eat a ton after quitting )

Dunno about pie oats but im going to say drugs or chomps hormone pill
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Sarnak

Im curious what kind of sups other people take. I use carnitine 3x a day, glutamine 2 / 3x, creatine an hour (roughly) before working out and a preworkout. Seems to work well for me.
Closed Thread