Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Classic mechanics or classic feel?
Classic mechanics 30 41.67%
Classic feel 42 58.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really play here much (20-30 min at a time), because I can't honestly give up my entire life to get an epic. I got pretty far, and realized the next tier of advancement would require more time than I can put in.
play on red server, epics require zero investment and are readily available.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shits classic
However if nilbog decides otherwise...
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really play here much (20-30 min at a time), because I can't honestly give up my entire life to get an epic. I got pretty far, and realized the next tier of advancement would require more time than I can put in.
Then what would banning MQ's change for you? What epic mob are you after that you could log on, kill, loot, and log off within 20-30 minutes? EQ is, and always will be, a time sink. Those of us who don't have 16 hours a day to play will rarely get the very top end items, same as it was back in the day.

White dragonscale for bard epic is droppable/tradeable, still sells for over 200k. On the other hand, a rogue can buy an entire epic MQ for less than 30k.

If anything it seems like a lot of people are able to get their epics solely because of MQ. Any shaman can farm seafury's 20-30 min at a time and save up money for a tear MQ for their epic, eventually. On the other hand, not every shaman could get the force together (especially in 20-30 minutes) to kill the golem's in Fear to get the tear themselves.

Most of us play p99 for a close to classic EQ experience, including the bullshit that was part of classic. Most of the forum posts, including this one, "I have this problem, so let's nerf this and that will fix it" would completely change the game.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It really sounds to me like people complaining about this particular issue just want to sacrifice classic aspects in order to make the game easier. This is not something I can get behind and is not in keeping with the entire reason for P99's existence. The difficulty and sandbox environment is what has kept me coming back to EQ over the past 17 years. If easy is what you are looking for, there are thousands of other games out there, but please dont try to ruin this project for those of us that play BECAUSE it is classic.
Didn't read this post before I replied, but this ^^.

I want TOV loot, but I don't have the time it requires to obtain it. Can we make it so TOV items drop off decaying skeletons so they are obtainable for me? Kthx
Old 12-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read this post before I replied, but this ^^.

I want TOV loot, but I don't have the time it requires to obtain it. Can we make it so TOV items drop off decaying skeletons so they are obtainable for me? Kthx
inb4 the inevitable "Forming a crew to monopolize decaying skeletons permanently" thread
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

Funny how some confuse "difficulty" with "timesink"

It's really "difficult" to sit at a spawn point for hours/days
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny how some confuse "difficulty" with "timesink"

It's really "difficult" to sit at a spawn point for hours/days
Well it can be difficult to find that kind of time, I guess. Maybe instead of difficult I should have said unforgiving. Equally funny is how people confuse "want" with "deserve".
Old 12-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Obviously there is a way to fix the "problem" you described OP. The devs with a few easy key strokes could disable MQing. Certainly, they could do it in a few minutes with the handful of the most popular MQ'able items in the game (see the EC tunnel if you want to know which they are).

The question ought to be should it be changed?, not can anything be done about MQing? , as the thread was titled by the OP.

Frankly, its a classic EQ server. I find it unusual that Nilbog and others would have invested thousands of hours of work to make a classic EQ server just to intentionally make some things unclassic. The point of the server wasn't to make classic EQ into a better game, it was to recreate classic EQ with all its foibles and issues included.

Others can disagree, and certainly do.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Frankly, its a classic EQ server. I find it unusual that Nilbog and others would have invested thousands of hours of work to make a classic EQ server just to intentionally make some things unclassic. The point of the server wasn't to make classic EQ into a better game, it was to recreate classic EQ with all its foibles and issues included.

I totally agree with you, but on that note, they've already proven they are willing to make unclassic changes. AoE nerf for one. Binding in certain raid zones. Mobs in certain raid zones where there were none on live, causing some guilds to fight raid mobs at zone lines. Non classic spawns on some mobs. Etc. so why not make some other changes to make the game more fun, not easier, but more fun. Either contemplate some additional changes to make the server population happy or go true, pure, classic. As long as they walk the middle ground, both sides will never cease to yell.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously there is a way to fix the "problem" you described OP. The devs with a few easy key strokes could disable MQing. Certainly, they could do it in a few minutes with the handful of the most popular MQ'able items in the game (see the EC tunnel if you want to know which they are).

The question ought to be should it be changed?, not can anything be done about MQing? , as the thread was titled by the OP.

I think the main thing that everybody is missing is that by virtue of us being in Velious in year 7, things are not classic. We will likely stay in Velious for the foreseeable future.

I do not run the server, and I don't pretend to know what their intentions are, but I can only speak for myself. If I were running a server that had this much stagnation (term used neutrally) I would try to fix some of the things that seem to break important aspects of the game, like the economy or the raid scene.

Obviously, it's no longer classic, but I think it's possible to implement classic-like changes that the original devs would have implemented, had the timeline been like the one we have on P99.
Last edited by renordw; 12-12-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Closed Thread