Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 PM
Large Rat

Default Game keeps getting errors as I play

Greetings everyone! Hopefully there is someone who knows how to fix my issue. I have been playing for 2 days and the whole time I keep getting error messages that cause me to crash,

"The instruction at 0x00000000CECECE referenced memory at 0x00000000CECECE. The memory could not be read"

I have seen other posts stating this was an easy fix and you simply need to edit the EQclient.ini files, but this hasn't seemed to have any effect.

I tried editing the ini to the 800x600 the post initially mentions but it still crashed. I then kept trying other resolutions and nothing seems to work. I moved the game out of the Programfilesx86 folder even and tried EQWin2 just for kicks and no matter what I get the popup!

Please tech geniuses help me!!
Old 01-05-2022, 04:01 AM
Kobold

If you're running windows 11 that could be the issue. If not try running the game in compatibility mode for windows xp sp3 or windows 7? If that doesn't work look into dgvoodoo2 although I don't know if it fixes that particular problem.
Last edited by Lich; 01-05-2022 at 04:07 AM..
Old 01-05-2022, 07:12 AM
Large Rat

I am using Windows 11. I'll try out compatibility mode. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-05-2022, 10:46 AM
Orc

Not sure what the solution is. But this is what happens when a program tries to access a block of memory (RAM) outside the area that the operating system has designated for the program. It happens in programs written in languages like C/C++ usually having to do with bugs in the way the memory is addressed. Perhaps Windows 11 is giving EverQuest different access to memory then EverQuest thinks it has.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:27 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooChicken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what the solution is. But this is what happens when a program tries to access a block of memory (RAM) outside the area that the operating system has designated for the program. It happens in programs written in languages like C/C++ usually having to do with bugs in the way the memory is addressed. Perhaps Windows 11 is giving EverQuest different access to memory then EverQuest thinks it has.
So if compatibility mode doesn't work, do you have any idea how to revert back to Window 10?
Old 06-21-2022, 06:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Has anyone figured out a way to resolve this issue?

Windows 11
eqgame set with Admin and Compatibility Mode Windows XP Service Pack 3

I get this error all the time only when playing p99 so its def a p99 issue. I have tried a ton of different things to resolve this and nothing has worked. I tested my hardware and windows for corruption and that all came back fine.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:49 PM
Fire Giant

Consider windows 10
Old 06-24-2022, 12:25 AM
Kobold

Yeah, saying consider Windows 10 isn't really a solution. Following for if anyone has something constructive.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealenfists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, saying consider Windows 10 isn't really a solution. Following for if anyone has something constructive.
If you can run win11, though more than a fix, a workaround, have you tried installing the easy to use Virtualbox and creating a win7 virtual machine?

P99 will run there without any issue whatsoever and thats how I play.

Be it on linux or windows, running a virtual machine is usually the best for old games
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 06-24-2022, 03:49 AM
Planar Protector

I play on Windows 11 and had to get dgvoodoo to stop the crashing