Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderenter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, nice research. I'm impressed.
Yeah, easily impressed I guess. He seemed to want to single out Iran (which I never specifically mentioned) yet from the same article he's quoting he forgot this lil tid-bit on Afghanistan

Quote:
“There is no way to say how many stonings took place, but it was widespread” when the Taliban ruled, said Nader Nadery, a senior commissioner on the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission. “Often the man escaped, and the woman only was punished, especially if he had connections or was a member of the Taliban.” Other sexual crimes were accorded similarly grotesque penalties: homosexuals, for instance, had a brick wall collapsed onto them.
And

Quote:
In Afghanistan, by contrast, stoning seems to be on the rise, despite its unpopularity.

“You do see an increase in these so-called applications of justice by the Taliban in morality cases,” Mr. Nadery said. “Over the last seven months, 200 people have been killed for showing disapproval or criticizing actions by the Taliban.”
This guy wants to talk about women being abused by husbands and boyfriends which is ILLEGAL in the same light as these SENTENCES being carried out.... sentences for "crimes" like adultery and criticizing the government.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal-Elf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How did he get 100 million dollars in a year after waiting tables......
Why do they want to do it........
What are their intentions???

Eh...
Well.. to answer your first question...

Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, the main benefactor behind The Kingdom Foundation, owns a $2.3 billion stake in News Corp., according to Yahoo's John Cook, and, in turn, News Corp. purchased a $70 million stake in a Saudi media company owned by Al-Waleed in February.

The guy building the mosque, and stirring up the controversy... IS OWNER OF FOX NEWS. (he is largest shareholder outside the Murdoch family)

Question two..
Why would your church, want to build a community center? Im pretty sure its for the same reasons.. There are people of their faith, living in the area, who wish to have it. Supply vs Demand.

Question three..
See response for question two...

The mosque isnt even near ground zero.. Its in "lower manhattan" Which is a fairly large area, bigger than some entire cities..

http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reason...akes-no-sense/

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/ar...-news/19606385

I think its best, that everyone just turn OFF FAUX NEWS. Its not really news anyway. In their broadcasting day, (according to Fox) they only have FOUR HOURS OF NEWS. The rest of the day, although presented as news, is opinions, commentary, debates and NewsTainment. They create rumors, then present those rumors as fact.. using the simple statement, "according to sources".... If you want real news, Try Therealnewsnetwork.com Or maybe BBC, PBS, or anything other than a company who's main goal isnt to inform people, but to get advertising dollars, and to make money.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

its the exact same type of arguments they threw out when i pointed the finger at radical islam.

they point out that there are women who are abused in the US and then conclude that anyone, therefore, who points the finger at Iran (for example) for women's rights violations is just ethnocentric and can't see the evils in their own country.

they fail to see the lop sided asymmetry between comparing women's rights violations in the US and Iran.

Someone even twisted the facts by saying, in effect, "there are only 7 women scheduled to die in Iran by stoning and only 6 were killed over a three year period" compared to how many women are murdered, beaten, raped, or otherwise degraded every day in the USA. (By the way, I call bull shit on the source you cited...most of the stonings in Iran take place at a local level in rural areas. So I have real doubts about accurate numbers in any report).

This type of logic fails to account for the fact that under radical muslim law a woman is essentially the property of her father and then later the property of her husband. she is denied access to education and freedom of expression even within her own home. it is enforced by the state.

Anyone who wants to believe that women are better off in Iran than they are in the USA is sticking their head in the sand. Sure, not EVERY woman in the USA is better off than EVERY woman in Iran. That is hardly the point.

Its gotten to the point where anytime an American looks around the world and sees something that is immoral or unjust he is called everything from ethnocentric to racist to ignorant. Sometimes, its not just some ignorant American pointing the finger at some culture he just doesn't take an interest in understanding.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its gotten to the point where anytime an American looks around the world and sees something that is immoral or unjust he is called everything from ethnocentric to racist to ignorant. Sometimes, its not just some ignorant American pointing the finger at some culture he just doesn't take an interest in understanding.
Agree with you there. Morality is subjective. The concept of just and unjust also varies by country, religion, as well as changes in time. There was a time in America when eye for an eye, was a just punishment. Now, cutting off a persons hand, hanging them from a tree, dragging them behind a horse, or burning them for being witches would seem cruel or unusual.

The constitution was designed to be flexible enough to change with the times, but strong enough to prevent abuse of powers. The separation of church and state was to ensure that government would not interfere in the matters of the church. It was the churches that wanted to keep government out of their business.

Times have changed, for what ever reason, churches no longer wish to see separation of church and state and tend to ignore that aspect of the constitution.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

they can have a mosque on ground zero when we can have a disney land in mecca.

muslims wear thier evil on thier face like a mask
Old 09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkimedes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I was a kid I was taught that two wrongs don't make a right. If we want majority-muslim countries to allow greater religious freedom (something which was a foreign policy objective of the Bush administration and presumably also of the Obama administration), maybe we should set the example. I just don't see how your suggestion is at all productive.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/...ss_igoogle_cnn

Lol women's rights in Iran supported by their laws...ohwai-
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Kobold

Next time I catch a body I'm screaming out Allah's name, son
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkimedes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...or when they let us open a Hooters restaurant within every capital city of the Muslim world.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

how bout they can have a mosque when we have a mcdonalds in every capital city of the muslim world... o wait...
Closed Thread