Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Kobold

"We're not focused on bringing new players in for our current products. But for future games, we definitely want to bring in a whole new audience. Let's be real: our core audience does skew a lot older than most other games. They maybe have a greater amount of disposable income, while younger players might not have as much money to spend on something frivolous like a mount. In a free-to-play world, we do rely heavily on people spending money on stuff like this. So in the future we'll need to engage new players to extend the brand, and give it new life with a younger audience. A staggering number of players have passed through EverQuest in the last 20 years, and we still get new ones who have been drawn in by the nostalgia of the classic servers."

Potentially good news for p99 as far as green, but I can't help but wonder what this means for live.

They are trying to "lure" old players into playing classic servers, while whatever the future of Everquest holds is aimed at a completely new audience, presumably based around a f2p aspect aimed at people without disposable income. Now I'm not against f2p or anything, but designing f2p games for children doesn't sound very promising. I mean not many kids today would like Everquest. I loved it as a kid but would I if I was in todays video game saturated world? Probably not. Although I'd like to think I wouldn't be doing the floss in a video somewhere on youtube. Sounds unfortunate for preexisting fans in any case.

Interesting use of the word 'lure' in this article. Generally a lure isn't meant to be beneficial to the one lured.

*They also imply that any future iterations of Everquest (or whatever) will force grouping, by claiming that kiting was an unintended mechanic and in the next project people will need each other. I'd really like to see a f2p social MMO. I doubt it would work in today's climate but who knows.
Last edited by Keza; 03-12-2019 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: QUOOOOTAAATIOOOOOOOOOONS
Old 03-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"We're not focused on bringing new players in for our current products. But for future games, we definitely want to bring in a whole new audience. Let's be real: our core audience does skew a lot older than most other games. They maybe have a greater amount of disposable income, while younger players might not have as much money to spend on something frivolous like a mount. In a free-to-play world, we do rely heavily on people spending money on stuff like this. So in the future we'll need to engage new players to extend the brand, and give it new life with a younger audience. A staggering number of players have passed through EverQuest in the last 20 years, and we still get new ones who have been drawn in by the nostalgia of the classic servers."

Potentially good news for p99 as far as green, but I can't help but wonder what this means for live.

----

Interesting use of the word 'lure' in this article. Generally a lure isn't meant to be beneficial to the one lured.

That's just coded talk that means "repeated short term income from TLP server launches and cash for in game mechanics is our cash cow". Which is essentially the state of modern gaming in general not just EQ live.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

All they have to do is continue to re-launch new TLP servers.... p99 cant launch a new server if daybreak launches a new TLP every few months and claims p99 green would be "too close" to their TLP launches every 3 months or so heh
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Loophole: Turn red server to purple or green.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, wasn't trying to "upstage you", but you buried the lead in that thread so I didn't think this had been posted yet.

Daybreak flat out said that the agreement was to limit when P99 released servers. Basic logic dictates that if they wanted to prevent new servers from being released, they'd say that. But clearly in that quote they don't: they say they're cool with P99, and all they care about is that P99 doesn't time server releases to conflict with their server releases.

Sure it's technically possible they just failed to mention that or lied about it ... but again normal/rational people wouldn't talk about the agreement like that while not mentioning or hiding a secret clause preventing new P99 servers.

And of course, long before this article there's always been the basic logic that "The entire point of Project 1999 is to create a true classic (ie. Green) server, and the P99 admins would never have entered into an agreement which thwarted the project's central purpose". This just gives official proof from Daybreak about what their motives are and why they entered into the agreement.

But look, I've been on these forums for a long time. I'm 100% sure that neither this nor any other proof will be enough for some people. Hell, I guarantee there would be people who would wig out about conspiracies even if there was video evidence of the Daybreak people and Rogean personally signing a contract, and the entire contract was captured on video.
why would they admit to being party poopers when they can just play up their friendliness with the community and nobody can say shit contrary cuz NDA.

of course I am arguing frivolously, imagining a paradigm where the case is not that new servers are halted because churn complicates the administration of [REDACTED] and devalues [REDACTED]
Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loophole: Turn red server to purple or green.
This is the best option.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:24 PM
Kobold

i think i'd rather let a lawyer tell me what the agreement says and not what some schmuck got quoted in a crappy dated publication.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntfang [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i think i'd rather let a lawyer tell me what the agreement says and not what some schmuck got quoted in a crappy dated publication.
Yeah, I'll just wait for that imaginary lawyer to show up and read that agreement for you ...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So now it's official: Daybreak has told us what many have suspected, and in the process disproved another popular theory. The Daybreak agreement does not prevent P99 from launching new servers! However it does impact when they're allowed to launch those servers:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-is-class...r-two-decades/

FWIW this seems like a totally reasonable ask on Daybreak's part, and a totally reasonable thing for P99 to give up, but I'm sure everyone here will have their own opinion.
This is the same thing we heard when the whole daybreak thing went down. This is old news pal.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Planar Protector

Why does the article say repeatedly that the first progression server launched in 2015?

This is just not true...the first progression servers launched in either 2006 or 2007 iirc.

Does Longdale really not know the history of EQ?
Closed Thread