Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think what irks me is that if you FoL from a distance it's just going to cause the mob to flee. That mechanic really grinds my gears and puts me off them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's kinda the beauty of FoL though, if you're in melee range it's almost another instant aggro mechanic, just need to be careful with it. Learn the tool and it'll make your life easy! Also if FoL just resists it's a ton of aggro in itself.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

Either class gives good service for folks who enjoy being a tank for group and lower end raids. If you want to main tank raid bosses, make a Warrior of course. The Paladin is more defensively specialized, while the Shadow Knight provides superior quality of life for traveling around and fighting solo. The Shadow Knight enjoys modestly more popularity on P1999 (the Paladin being probably the least-played class), but still isn't particularly common.

Both the Paladin and the Shadow Knight can build hate on mesmerized monsters (via Stun or Shadow Vortex, respectively). At the same time, most don't bother to do so in practice because most players are lazy. Flash of Light's drawback sucks if you aren't familiar with the class, but once you get used to it (and account for it) you stop noticing. Disease Cloud has its own drawback in terms of putting a damage over time component on the target and hence rendering the target un-mezzable, so pick your poison.

Paladins have a modest advantage over the Shadow Knight as a tank in lower end content, and particularly when the tank's grouped with low-quality players who don't play to their full abilities. Stuns, root, and heals give the Paladin a good level of defensive control; the Shadow Knight largely depends on his group mates to do these jobs. Lull is also a lot faster than feign splitting whenever the former's an option, plus the Paladin can ensure his group has proper buffs when the group happens to have a Shaman or Druid as healer instead of a Cleric. On the other hand, the Shadow Knight pulls ahead of the Paladin in very high-level content. Lulls are virtually useless against high level, highly resistant opponents. Stuns work only poorly against the same and don't work at all against giants, dragons, or anything higher than level 55 (note what there's a lot of in Velious...). Paladin root doesn't hold well at high levels, and most casters have better root spells anyhow. Feign pulling and Snare become much more important at this level.

To address a different point, the Monk *already* out-everythings the Shadow Knight except snap aggro. The power gap actually lowers somewhat after Velious has been out awhile due to the many hybrid improvements which come along, but the Monk always remains the stronger class. Snap aggro and general convenience count for a lot, however. Ultimately the Shadow Knight can do much of what a Monk can, but typically trades off speed for some added safety.

As a first character on P1999, between the two I'd favor the Paladin simply because its gear is extremely cheap and tanks are hard enough to start out as.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 06-21-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

If you want to tank just roll a warrior. No xp penalty which will be nice when you start out and all-round better tanking in later levels.
Twerp - Ogre Shaman
Numpty - Halfling Warrior
Tosser - Gnome Enchanter
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaetatus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to tank just roll a warrior. No xp penalty which will be nice when you start out and all-round better tanking in later levels.
xp penalties dont exist with velious. Am I right?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotenvok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
xp penalties dont exist with velious. Am I right?
Only class penalties will be removed. Racial penalties will still be in effect. If I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Planar Protector

Yes, and if you're playing an iksar shadow knight on launch night it's time to realize now that the hybrid penalty removal isn't until later in the timeline.

I've got this vision of 400 new/returning/waiting hybrids looking to group before the right patch not knowing.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Not sure if linked already, but you may want to read this with regards to pallys

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=108428

(note: I have not played a paladin or sk past level 10 here)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if linked already, but you may want to read this with regards to pallys

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=108428

(note: I have not played a paladin or sk past level 10 here)
That post... Purr gold hahaha
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Fire Giant

Tunare Paladin for good sword in Velious
Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlaeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tunare Paladin for good sword in Velious
Or just get epic and have a better weapon?