Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

Default Why do guilds use DKP?

Serious question? Wouldn’t it be more fun/exciting/fair to continue to use the /random function the game provides vs a player made point system? This is one of the turn off o have with joining a raiding guild. It’s already stressful enough trying to land targets and not get into a lawyerquest situation, why add a complex currency system to add to the stress? I get the concept of dkp...ppl in the guild who track or do other unseen assistance to the guild should get some sort of incentive vs a casual who shows up for one raid a month, but shouldn’t we seriously reconsider the use of dkp and it’s function?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 01-28-2021, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Serious question? Wouldn’t it be more fun/exciting/fair to continue to use the currency system that the game provides vs using /random? This is one of the turn off o have with joining a casual guild. It’s already stressful enough trying to land targets and not get into a lawyerquest situation, why add a complex /random system to add to the stress? I get the concept of /random...a casual who shows up for one raid a month should get more incentive than ppl in the guild who farm plat but shouldn’t we seriously reconsider the use of /random and it's function? Why not just have the person who wants the loot give money to the guild?
Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aviak

DKP isn't complex. Time you spent doing things is quantified into a currency, and you buy things with that currency.

How is a /roll more fair/fun? I don't get that.
Sarnak

Random favors those with the worst gear. And people will roll whether they need it or not.

DKP isn't perfect but it's way better than random or loot council
Old 01-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Guilds are a scam
Old 01-28-2021, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Fundamentally the primary purpose is those types of guilds want to motivate people to do stuff they'd otherwise not want to do. Secondary reason is because a lot of higher-end players see their own guildmates as their enemies in their quest for pixels and want a predictable system that directly pays them for their work rather than trusting random rolls to average out over time. Since this type of currency immediately becomes worthless as soon as a player deguilds, it also provides a guild huge leverage in terms of manipulating members who don't want to lose their perceived investment.

I join no such guild and immediately disband from any which converts to such a system. Video games are supposed to be for fun, not a crappy long-hours job that pays worthless company scrip.

Danth
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM
Banned

long time raider in guild: grinds out and always shows up on time and excellent performance

new player who just joined guild yesterday: no experience and a newb

>cool item drops

>hey guys lets random instead of DKP

new player gets it

>ez clap
Old 01-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

I never said dkp was complex, only that I don’t understand why universally accepted and used. I’m not saying /random is necessarily the answer either but I find it odd nobody wants to question the narrative. I think dkp could be retooled or revamped completely.

@nexii doesn’t /random favor everybody?

I like the concept of dkp, as it factors in assistance to the guild through other means like tracking and such, but it adds an unnecessary component to the game. I’m just saying couldn’t there be a system that didn’t need to add a new system?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 01-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

DKP systems help mitigate the rng inherent in the game and consistenly reward those who contribute the most to the guild.

For example, if after you killing a dragon you got a drop down menu of a target's entire loot table and were able to choose specific items then over time /random would roughly approximate contribution / attendance.

But since mobs have unique loot tables and what they drop is randomly generated, there is very little way of encouraging the system to consistently reward effort. The other option is to loot council items but that has its own issues.
Closed Thread