Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

I really feel it was a missed opportunity for the vendor bought velious armour not to use the new textures - but maybe VI didn't want to wash down the 'magic' of the new textures by letting anyone wearing them just by dumping some PP to an NPC.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

yeah they were not too keen on making things accessible.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

This is EQ in all its haphazard development-by-accident glory we're talking about, so it's just as likely it was a case of the guy doing the textures not being in close contact with the guy assigning them to items in the database. I agree there was some missed opportunity there, which became a much larger missed opportunity when the very next expansion chucked all that work in the trashcan with the new character models. The Velious textures seemed something of an afterthought, never pushed hard, and not even enabled easily. The .ini file modification required to make them work in-era was technical enough that I suspect the majority of users never enabled them. I didn't myself, until near the tail end of the expansion.

Danth
Old 11-23-2021, 03:42 PM
Banned

can u still edit the ini or whatever or patch the globalload to get the velious textures on normal gear?

i played on lives test server for a number of years and iirc there was a short time were if u equiped a leather armor or something it would show velious textures too so i think they were flirting with just upgrading everything to velious and not making it raid only stuff

i had tizmaks on my druid )

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

yesplz
Last edited by starkind; 11-23-2021 at 03:46 PM..
Old 11-23-2021, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks everyone. I think I have a decent combo in mind now, just missing a piece. It'll be really nice when that Nathsar armor makes it into the game too, that looks pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
reroll barbarian for fashion
Troll has a lot going for it that I like. The fashion thing and the exp penalty are the only two things I really hate about them. xD
Old 11-23-2021, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

It isn't perfect but I think it's okay for what options I had available. At least it's coordinated in terms of color and theme. It'll do until I can raid one day and get a full class set or something.
I know some would argue that I'm playing the wrong game if I care about character looks but it's just how I am. I am that guy who would forgo an item with awesome stats if it meant looking terrible.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:40 AM
Orc

The scale armor pattern can be acheived with a Phase Spider Carapace, at least the body portion. I assume it's the same for most armors of similar style.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is EQ in all its haphazard development-by-accident glory we're talking about, so it's just as likely it was a case of the guy doing the textures not being in close contact with the guy assigning them to items in the database. I agree there was some missed opportunity there, which became a much larger missed opportunity when the very next expansion chucked all that work in the trashcan with the new character models. The Velious textures seemed something of an afterthought, never pushed hard, and not even enabled easily. The .ini file modification required to make them work in-era was technical enough that I suspect the majority of users never enabled them. I didn't myself, until near the tail end of the expansion.

Danth
I wouldn't be surprised if the artist (was) asked to do them, got told they weren't needed half way through the project, the artist completed them off the books anyway and after presenting the heads decided it would be good to use them after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It isn't perfect but I think it's okay for what options I had available. At least it's coordinated in terms of color and theme. It'll do until I can raid one day and get a full class set or something.

I know some would argue that I'm playing the wrong game if I care about character looks but it's just how I am. I am that guy who would forgo an item with awesome stats if it meant looking terrible.
Looking amazing Taddy!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-14-2022, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Barbarian Full Rubicite
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-15-2022, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that one "suit" of armor or a bunch of separate pieces? If you specify the armor pieces (or point me to your character's Magelo) I can add it to the relevant wiki "fashion show" pages.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread