Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Aviak

Lull is situationally one of the most useful spells you get. The more CC a group has the less vital it becomes, but for solo/duo work it makes the impossible fight, possible and even easy. My opinion is that like most things with tanks, levels matter more with lull then any stat. You want lull to be effective and not start trains? Do not be under leveled for this encounter. Start with lowest level targets and as you target those at or around your level you are looking at close to a hypothetical 50% chance to pull or succeed.

I would not place too much importance on cha as a stat. Others have pointed out cheap equipment to temporarily boost it and especially if you will be moderately twinkling this new character out with gear race choice for paladins really is cosmetic with the exception of how much importance you put on Nature’s Defender. If you are starting from scratch, the low str of High elf and Erudites would be what would concerned me for emcumberance issues trying to wear armor and still loot.

I just want to say when I see starting race questions about EQ paladins it always reminds me how much I wanted Barbarian paladins to be a choice since first discovering the game.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just want to say when I see starting race questions about EQ paladins it always reminds me how much I wanted Barbarian paladins to be a choice since first discovering the game.
I always wondered if the developers had at one point seriously considered including other class options for certain races before release, but then scrapped those options due to time constraints. I only say this because, when looking at the layouts of starting cities, it becomes clear that not everything went according plan, what with buildings left abandoned or filled with generic, unresponsive NPCs.

For instance, across the Rivervale bridge there are several nondescript huts with only young halflings for local color, character models that weren't even made smaller to give off the impression of youth; in a zone where you can't get away from the obnoxious music, that area could have served as a Bard guild. Also, deep within Surefall Glade there are the bear caverns and deeper still that strange isolated crystal; the area around it would have made for a decent Shaman guild. Then in Halas there are empty stone buildings with fenced-in sled dogs where Paladin NPCs could have been added. If only.

Barbarian Paladins would've had great starting stats too (approx. 113str 100sta 82agi 70dex 75wis 60int 65cha +20), rivaling those of Dwarves, not to mention slam which would have taken value out of the epic and made Velious alternatives that much better.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

The development team was largely unmonitored before release, so perhaps the wigs wouldn't let them expand the game in the way they had originally planned (purchase new area instead of filling in details).

I think the original intention was to do more of the hole/warrens type stuff.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Aviak

I have vague memories of seeing 2nd hand notes on barbarian paladins being a thing during development, but was scrapped as being out of character (against "The Vision") for primitives who worship the eye for an eye style tribunal.

But at least we eventually got space kitties from the moon, frog paladins and gnome shadow knights.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The development team was largely unmonitored before release, so perhaps the wigs wouldn't let them expand the game in the way they had originally planned (purchase new area instead of filling in details).

I think the original intention was to do more of the hole/warrens type stuff.
They just did the world building before the "peopling" of it with a healthy dose of realization that more is better than less, since the average joe citizens and things like the young halflings in the burrows would become some simple RPG flavor. Realistically there would be a ton more of these "flavor homes/NPCs" than important interactable NPCs. No one wants to run through rows of pointless homes for 30 minutes to go to the freeport bank, for the "true" feeling that freeport would offer.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have vague memories of seeing 2nd hand notes on barbarian paladins being a thing during development, but was scrapped as being out of character (against "The Vision") for primitives who worship the eye for an eye style tribunal.

But at least we eventually got space kitties from the moon, frog paladins and gnome shadow knights.
Frog Paladins were always a thing.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

I will never not be mad about the lack of Barbarian Paladins.

The fucking marrs created the damn barbarians
Old 04-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Justice is about balance, not about being good...

They stepped away from honour and love, preferring to be 'right' instead of 'good'.

Kinda tragic.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

As you gear up Strength and Stm will rise fast, esp. with HoT/Velious gears.

Re: Strength
You eventually have access to a +40 str yaulp, and if you really gear your Paladin out you have the + str click from DW legs which is another +22 stength buff so putting points into strength is a very very very very very poor choice for knights

Re: Stamina
This stat is a meh stat to place 20 starting points into, firstly its a stat on raids/with any shaman around you will most probably cap it at 200 with decent gears.

In terms of a direct stat 20 stm (when not capped) will give 5.2 stm per 1 pt - so 20 stm will give 104 extra hp at max level WHEN stm is not capped. So this is a very very very very very very very poor choice for knights as you arent tanking end game velious mobs.

So that leaves us with dex and wis/int.

Dex can be argued that it helps with procs, and it does. But to get a noticable increase you need ALOT of dex, so unless you're building around dex then 20 pts isnt going to make you a proc star.

That leaves wisdom/int, the greatest stat a knight can have. A knight is a wetnoodle without mana. Cant heal, cant CC, cant add extra dps, cant keep agro without it.

Having 20 extra int/wisdom gives a hybrid somwthing like 200 extra mana (when not capped) but the only time you will cap a hybrid is if you build a int/wisdom spec OR you running around in full BiS (then it wint matter about what starting stats you have). 20 extra wisdom allows for a one WHOLE extra heal on a Paladin (700hp hot) or a WHOLE extra life tap on a Shadowknight (extra damage/hp heal)...WHICH far ourweights the pitfiful extra 104 hp you get from stm (when not stm capped) the pitiful extra dmg you get drom 20 str and the pitiful extra chance you get from 20 dex.

The MOST prudent and intelligent/wise decision to make on a Paladin or Shadowknight is to go wis/int.

In this year 2019 after 20 years of EQ, on a server that caps at Velious if anyone tells you otherwise then they are ill informing you.

THE END OF THIS DEBATE.
Last edited by White_knight; 04-20-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Re: Stamina
This stat is a meh stat to place 20 starting points into, firstly its a stat on raids/with any shaman around you will most probably cap it at 200 with decent gears..
Capped stam only means you get an extra buff slot.
Closed Thread