Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Iksar SK Solo

Does anyone have any general suggestions, tips, or routes for a solo Iksar SK after Kurns and beyond? I definitely want to tank for groups but also want to solo when I'm short on playing time. Is this even viable if I don't have a fungi or ikky bp? All thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 AM
Aviak

Most will probably point you in the direction of the xp highway zones (higher chance of pickup groups and decent xp modifiers) of Unrest, upper guk, highkeep, mistmoore, city of mist, karnors castle, old sebilis etc.

The best tip I know of for solo melee classes regardless of gear quality is the questionable exploit of macroing in combat bind wound. It is far less effective for hybrids due to those classes low skill cap before level 50 and casting cancels it, but still helpful.

Mostly what you need is knowledge of zones, where you can safely pull, fear kite, high level KOS npcs patrol patterns etc. If this Iksar Sk is one of your first characters it might be a good idea to save yourself some aggrevation and stick to exploring Kunark zones, less annoyance with finding binds, friendly banks and venders.
Last edited by rajax; 06-20-2019 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Highly aggressive spellchecker
Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Aviak

I'm presently in the process of soloing an iksar SK myself. I have a ton of gear though that makes it way easier, including a fungi. So take that with a grain of salt.

After Kurns, I went to WW and killed the iksar bandits in a tiny ruined building south of the giant fort. that took me to 26, can be split easily enough although you will get some adds initially, and the respawn is pretty fast so mana conservation is important without med time. After that, you can finish out the 20's in either the giant fort of the brute cave.

The 30's I spent here and there. I did the first couple levels at the fort in FM. The giants are also really good because of the vendor loot. Then I went to CC, working through the orcs down to the spiders as I leveled. The velium can be sold to players if you're patient. I would loot as much as I could carry, then dump it in the bank and go back for more. When I was full, I'd run to EC to sell it all then do it again. That'll take you to the early 40's (it can go longer, but higher levels often camp the geos so it's hard to get that camp to 47).

At that point, you can do oggok guards. Plenty of room to fear kite and long enough spawns to med. They'll take you to 49/50.

I'm right now doing Kelethin Guards at 54. It can be dangerous but fear kiting is very efficient.

As for gear, get a zealot's 2hs as it's a good ratio and proc. You'll want to avoid anything too fast as you might miss swings as you chase mobs. The limiting factor for fear kiting is always mana so stack a good bit of that. Iksar are certainly no the min max race for SK, but it's doable with Velious.

This'll hold me for a couple more levels, then I think I'll finish out leveling soloing in the hole. I did a bit there already and the mobs soak more damage bu the exp modifier takes the bite out of it.

I stream my solo efforts sometimes if you ever dabble there.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Sarnak

Of course soloing is viable without lots of gear! It's just slow! Stick to old world and kunark mellee targets for lowest HP mobs with the least amount of surprises

Fear kiting will be your most efficient solo path, but the med time will be substantial.

20-30: Warsilks Woods giant fort is viable and can often find a duo/trio - low level guards in HHK guards (tanking or short duration fear) - OOT Sister Island / Gargoyles

30-40: HHK guards(tanking or short duration fear)

40-50: HHK(tanking or short duration fear) and Oggok guards (more room for longer duration fear)

50-54: Timourous Deep Aviaks (tons of room to fear)

Gear to consider: No Drop Engulfing Darkness 2 hander from Kithicor Woods (will rott when people do Generals) Polished Obsidian Great Axe from KC (cheap and gives you invoke fear many levels ahead)

You'll want to absolutely maximize mana pool for fear kiting, so INT and +mana items will be super important.

Anything that is blue and not a caster is a target for fear kiting - older world mobs best - outdoor zones is a must.

Good luck! It sucks!
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

For 50-55 you can fear kite the ghost in the ruins in tt near ej zoneline... Casters, and undead.. Great to fear kite
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreldorEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of course soloing is viable without lots of gear! It's just slow! Stick to old world and kunark mellee targets for lowest HP mobs with the least amount of surprises

Fear kiting will be your most efficient solo path, but the med time will be substantial.

20-30: Warsilks Woods giant fort is viable and can often find a duo/trio - low level guards in HHK guards (tanking or short duration fear) - OOT Sister Island / Gargoyles

30-40: HHK guards(tanking or short duration fear)

40-50: HHK(tanking or short duration fear) and Oggok guards (more room for longer duration fear)

50-54: Timourous Deep Aviaks (tons of room to fear)

Gear to consider: No Drop Engulfing Darkness 2 hander from Kithicor Woods (will rott when people do Generals) Polished Obsidian Great Axe from KC (cheap and gives you invoke fear many levels ahead)

You'll want to absolutely maximize mana pool for fear kiting, so INT and +mana items will be super important.

Anything that is blue and not a caster is a target for fear kiting - older world mobs best - outdoor zones is a must.

Good luck! It sucks!
Good post. Why avoid casters though? If fear is an option, you should absolutely be targeting casters if they have less hp. This is especially true 50+ when you realize just how bad Knight dps is compared to the quadrupled hp pool of mobs.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Sarnak

Yeah that's not a bad point about casters.

The idea would be to maximize your mana usage/regen, so anything that can adversely affect the outcome of a fight, like a mob heal or getting slowed I would avoid.

55+ I didn't worry about caster/mellee, early on, I would avoid them. Once I was in TT like the above mention, or KC soloing, casters were fair game, especially if undead! The undead fears are obviously much more mana efficient if you can find the right place to use them.

I did forget to mention a very important thing: Use Strengthen Death, use your Lifetap proc buff and if you are tanking mobs, use Banshee Aura, the single most cost effective source of DPS for a SK!
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Kobold

I did 30-40 in the Overthere.
40-50 grouping in City of Mist
51-54 fear kiting frost giants in EW (GD zoneline)
54-55 I fear kited barbarian guards in Everfrost (#5 on the map)
55-59.7 (still need 29%) mix between the Hole (group and solo. I know a few good spots for Fear kiting in there) and fear kiting dwarf guards in Butcherblock.
Closed Thread