Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM
Aviak

Default Wife Duo

So, I finally convinced my wife to give p99 another try.

First time around she was all set on a pair of rogues (!) despite my misgivings and it didn't work out so well, and is going to take some advice on classes this time from me.

There are a lot of incredibly powerful late game duos like monk/shaman or enchanter/cleric but I really need something that works well from low levels onwards.

My current idea is a pair of iksar necros as we won't need to worry about losing xp to pets, spells will work together well without the need to add other classes to form a group even when we get to higher levels, and are relatively hard to get killed unless you afk.

Is this a good plan or are there other duo I should consider that will work well from low to high levels?

EDIT: If it matters we're going to play on blue and we can afford some modest twinking [fire wedding rings etc] or starter weapons for other classes if needed but are not going to be rocking zlandi hearts or fungi
Last edited by melandis; 01-22-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 06:46 PM
Fire Giant

I think the most important thing is to play something you want to play. Even necro/mage could work just so it doesn't get stale. Mage is the guaranteed win. Necro is the guaranteed win with a little work.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Does your wife want to be a rogue?

She can play the rogue and you can be a necro. You can fear mobs and she can stab them in the back. It's not the best combo because the necro can pretty much do that without the rogue but its not a bad combo at all.

SK/Shaman
Monk/Shaman

Those combos work well from level 1.

Necro / Necro works well from level 1 also and you can do a lot and have fun. It makes sense to make a combo like necro / mage just to have more variety of utility but it isn't neccesary.

Shaman + any melee is pretty great for straight forward everquest enjoying. The reason its a shaman and not a druid or cleric is because the shaman has slow and haste spells which make you much more efficient.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Banned

my girlfriend thinks eq is old and gross

lucky you
Old 01-22-2021, 07:26 PM
Fire Giant

I think probably one of the best bets for learning to play EQ while having fun would be barbarian shaman and rogue. It might be rough finding your corpses sometimes. Maybe even take a couple days if things go bad.

People often hate Everfrost Peaks if its solo because its quite a dangerous place. But halas area is a great area if you are not alone and there is something magical about that place. Just remember there are roaming high level skeletons in the ice mazes that can one hit you.

Barbarian shaman might be hard to solo by itself but shamans are known for being very strong. But with any other group member it would make things easier. And then she can drag your corpse for you until you get invis.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:29 PM
Aviak

she picked a rogue last time as it sounded pew pew fun. she's not going to play one again after last time and realises we need something where the two of us is greater than the sum of the parts.

I've played a monk before but not an SK so that could be interesting if she wants to shaman.

I've always been a bit wary of mage because of the reputation for needing to chain summon pets from mid levels onwards just to kill stuff. Is that overblown?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Fire Giant

Sk and Shaman is good too. Just need to wait until 30 when Sks shine.

Shaman is good too but might be a little much responsibility for learning the game. I had a troll shaman with barely decent gear, and I was chopping things up.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 PM
Aviak

SK/Sham is totally doable but will be really light on dps and SK doesn;t get FD unitl 29 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Shaman/monk as others have mentioned is very similar in gameplay but more DPS and i think monks get dual wield at 1 so that is great early game dps.

my suggestion would be sham/warrior though. typical thought is need monk to pull but once shaman gets root that is totally adequate CC on multi pulls in dungeons, tons of times warriors pull for grps, just learn to recognize the root emote and backup once you see the emote and shaman can line them up for you guys. once shaman slowed mobs are easy...have warrior carry 1000s of bandages to bind wound and you guys will have little down time.

plus you can walk into any dungeon and pick up any 4 randoms and have a solid grp.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Mage doesn't neccesarily "need" to chain summon pets it is just the most efficient way to kill mobs. Mages are pretty much OP for anything that they can get to aggro their pet instead of the mage itself.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Banned

Necro + sham and mage + sham are great
Closed Thread