Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

Default monk + fungi tunic

I have never had one but I'm curious if monks actually use this item and if so..how is it used? Do people wear it as regular gear or just keep it bagged and wear when flopped to regen HP or only on certain fights/circumstances?

I can see why a shaman would wear it full-time but it seems more situational for a monk or is that wrong?
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have never had one but I'm curious if monks actually use this item and if so..how is it used? Do people wear it as regular gear or just keep it bagged and wear when flopped to regen HP or only on certain fights/circumstances?

I can see why a shaman would wear it full-time but it seems more situational for a monk or is that wrong?
Any stat loss due to wearing a fungi tunic will be inconsequential no matter what class is wearing it imo. It wouldn't make any sense to me ever switching it out.

Except for fashionquesting in the EC tunnel. You should always wear your fanciest looking top-shelf tunic when you are parading around the tunnel.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any stat loss due to wearing a fungi tunic will be inconsequential no matter what class is wearing it imo. It wouldn't make any sense to me
My monk has a fungi. I only switch it out to click my robe, unless I'm not taking any damage. Then i wear whatever gear is most beneficial at the time. But if I'm solo/duo/trio, or tanking/offtanking, fungi all the time.

For instance, the other day duoing with a shaman in KC. I had regrowth, fungi, and iksar regen. The mobs were slowed and I don't think the shaman healed me more than once every half hour. And then only if I was facetanking 3-4 mobs while I dragged them around for roots.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Aviak

I don't have my epic yet.

Solo/Duo i'll wear the fungi and swap for robe click
Group pulling i'll wear my robe for the stats, regen on pulls seems inconsequential
Group not pulling/bard in group, i'd wear something with real combat stats (like ice burrower skin or a velious class tunic)

People typically wear fungi 24/7 because they don't have an alternative. It's got shit combat stats. Robes are superior.

When I get my epic, i'll go back and get a Robe of the Lost Circle over fungi.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You'd wear it full time. Its the best (non shroud of longevity) chest in the game by a pretty solid margin. You may swap it out at times for a BP with resists when you really need resists, but ideally you'd leave it equipped forever. Regen effects are really nice in this game considering its relatively slow pace.

It makes duoing with a shaman a lot more mana effecient, especially when combined with mend and stonestance disc. For example, lets say you're a low 50s monk duoing with a low 50s shaman, and you're fighting monsters that on average do 100 damage per tic. Shaman regen is assumed in all of these scenarios. A human monk with no fungi will regen 17 hp per tic, with fungi 32 per tic. An iksar monk with no fungi will regen 21 per tic, with fungi 36 per tic. If we consider damage recovered by regen as damage mitigation, a human monk wearing a fungi has nearly double the mitigation of a human monk without a fungi. An iksar monk with fungi has around 71% more mitigation than one without. This effect is a lot more pronounced when you're fighting monster with lower damage output or you aren't being hit often because you're busy pulling.

Now lets look at the effect of fungi as a below level 50 monk who is waiting to regen X amount of HP before he stands back up. Keep in mind that in reality you can most likely get someone to come heal you at some point/using mend. A human with no fungi regens 1hp per tic, with fungi 16 hp per tic. An iksar with no fungi regens 2 hp per tic, 17 per tic with fungi. A non-fungi iksar will wait 1/2 as much as a non-fungi human. A fungi human will spend 8 times less time on the ground than a non-fungi iksar. A fungi human will spend 16x less time on the ground than a non-fungi human. At higher levels (or with other regen effects present) the effects are much less profound, but still a significant bonus.

A level 60 iksar with Ring 10 buff and regen buff with fungi will spend 1.38x less time on the ground then an equally buffed iksar monk that lacks fungi.

Its also worth swapping out for an Ancient Wyvern Hide Tunic when tanking things that hit incredibly hard/fast (brother z/q, ixiblat, raid monsters etc) but those situations are pretty limited.

TLDR; Always have it equipped unless you desperately need the resists or are tanking things that hit like freight trains.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Sarnak

it's a retardedly overpowered item when you don't need resists

in which case you'd probably use something like a robe of the azure sky
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarcath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have my epic yet.

Solo/Duo i'll wear the fungi and swap for robe click
Group pulling i'll wear my robe for the stats, regen on pulls seems inconsequential
Group not pulling/bard in group, i'd wear something with real combat stats (like ice burrower skin or a velious class tunic)

People typically wear fungi 24/7 because they don't have an alternative. It's got shit combat stats. Robes are superior.

When I get my epic, i'll go back and get a Robe of the Lost Circle over fungi.
Sorry - this post makes no sense.

At the tempo of the game found in classic EQ - the regen of the fungi far outweighs any other monk breastplate available for the overwhelming majority of content. You could make the case that certain encounters might favor a resistance heavy piece if you both plan on taking consistent high spell damage AND the differences in resists makes a meaningful impact.

If you're not pulling and never taking damage ... maybe. But are the extra stats really going to do that much extra for you?

Classic eq is a relatively slow game where the stats (str/stam/dex/whatever) of individual items (not counting weapons/haste for a melee) only add very tiny but cumulative advantage. The impact of 15 continuous regeneration per tick is in no way tiny.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Easy, you just put it on and never take it off again until you get a Lungi.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry - this post makes no sense.
I'm pretty sure that guy is either retarded or doesn't actually play everquest.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for all the replies and info all.