Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Looks like EQ2 emulator project active again

While it mad flaws, I also have many fond memories of my early days in EverQuest 2.

Playing p99 has been wonderful but when I looked at the EQ2 emulator last year, it had gone cold for years.

I check again recently and it looks like some devs (I think from p99) have started it up again.

https://www.eq2emu.com/ by https://zeklabs.com/

This post on FoH has more info: https://www.firesofheaven.org/thread...om-team.11963/

Anyone else excited for this? I for one am really excited!
Old 03-26-2021, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

i could be persuaded to be excited

looks like its already happenin, hows zeklabs
Old 03-26-2021, 10:05 PM
Planar Protector

It's cool for the shear fact ppl can use it to load eq2 zones and models.

I really enjoyed EQ2 for 3 months when it was fresh but couldn't get back into it.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

i tried an eq2 classic prog server in like 2017 and was a return for me since launch

but the moment i logged into a shitty boat and not my cozy newbie island where i could get threadbare, logged out

miss that island big time

edit: aw dawg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1jh9wCfR60
Last edited by bubur; 03-26-2021 at 10:15 PM..
Old 03-27-2021, 12:36 AM
Banned

Even if the game wasn't popular or doesn't have a strong of a following.. I did actually enjoy playing it at the time, and have vivid memories of some of the things I was doing IRL when I was playing that game. I remember the chat exploding when Dimebag Darrell died.. I just happened to be doing the betrayal quest at the time, that allowed me to switch from Qeynos to Freeport... and remember killing something in the wailing caves or whatever they were called.

I honestly liked EQ 2 more than I liked WoW in 2004. I played both simultaneously, but to get me to play WoW, my friends used to have to beg me to play. None of them owned computers that could really run EQ2, and to be honest... mine barely ran it. That was one of the biggest problems with the game IMHO.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ditto, I think EQ2 was a really nice game but it’s main flaw was the need for high end hardware. I was in highschool and didn’t have a job so I had to save money for ram by budgeting my lunch money haha.

I’ll tell you one thing eq2 did better than any game: the music! They really nailed the music and even the insane amount of voice overs in the game
Old 03-27-2021, 12:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i tried an eq2 classic prog server in like 2017 and was a return for me since launch

but the moment i logged into a shitty boat and not my cozy newbie island where i could get threadbare, logged out

miss that island big time

edit: aw dawg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1jh9wCfR60
The 2017 progression server had the noob island, all you had to do was click off of the boat to be on isle of refuge lol... And you started on the boat back in the day in actual eq2, the boat had basic ass combat quests and UI tutorial information.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:31 AM
Planar Protector

there was no boat

standing by this
Old 03-27-2021, 01:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there was no boat

standing by this
Lol there was a boat, it would show you basic movement, selling, using armor. And then you would end up at the island. I forgot now but your boat gets attacked by a dragon? I think at some point they just had players immediately starting on the island.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:47 AM
Planar Protector

if by at some point you mean 2004 when the game came out then i believe you

you started on a beach and walked up steps to grass with the tower

if you can show me this boat in a youtube video dated 2004-2005 i will never post again
Closed Thread