Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New Player to Server: Class Choice Delimma

I have reviewed all leading treatises and learned Project 1999 materials regarding the "choice of class" issue for new P1999 players. Sadly, I still have a few questions and concerns. I played a warrior in EQlive, but have little desire to relive the days of no soloing capability and gear dependency. My class selection concerns are as follows:

(1) I prefer to play "good" races because I enjoy exploring "good areas."

(2) I desire to play a class that can solo well. I am leaning towards monk because it was always my favored twink class on EQlive, but I am concerned that my untwinked monk will not solo very well past level 30. I've also read that starting out as a monk is difficult because it is harder to earn plat due to weight limitations. I am also concerned that I would not be up to par pulling in groups due to noobness [I MT'ed in EQlive and pulled most pre-Luclin zones, but it has been a very, very long time].

(3) My play time is limited and being able to AFK between kills is important on most days. This likely limits my class selection to Monk, Necro, and SK due to FD capability. After monk, I consider necro the second leading class for me to consider playing. Unfortunately, I never played a caster in EQlive, and it would probably be difficult for me to learn how to play a caster [I am used to pulling and tanking things, afterall]. I am also concerned that a necro, even a human, would not be able to prance through all the good zones.

...So, I find myself a bit torn between monk and necro for the reasons above. Any other options I should consider? Is the necro such a better soloer/first time character that I should consider playing one over a monk?

Your thoughts, comments, and dire assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Necromancer is jumping out at me here.

You need afk time? Feign death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want to solo? You can!

I guess you're limited to human/gnome for "good race" choices though... or erudite at a push [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (watch out for gangs of erudites on Freeport street corners)

Welcome aboard whatever you roll...and you'll play the longest on a character you enjoy, so in the end its down to you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakengroves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(1) I prefer to play "good" races because I enjoy exploring "good areas."

(3) limits my class selection to Monk, Necro, and SK due to FD capability.
Decision is made: monk.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Monks need gear, necros can level nekkid...plus the best monks are evil and scaly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Kobold

I love necro (i am one) but the interesting thing here is you want "good" races but have 2 of 3 evil classes.

These classes will often have similar limitations as the evil races (see necro near mage guild in FP or WC Druid rings)

I agree with Vayder if your primary criteria is playing in "good" places then go monk. Lots of utility and if your good lots of dps in the end.

SK also has static 40% xp penalty and with good races you really have no good options, unless you want to cool look of flayed skin on humans.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I'm still concerned about the monk's ability to solo after level 30 or so (especially without gear).

Does anyone know how KOS a human necromancer [Innorouk] is in most "good" cities?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

You will have difficulty with vendors and guards. However, you can slip by the guards with gather shadows once you get it.

As for the monk or other classes with low strength, instead of destroying coin just purchase gems from vendors (peridots, pearls, sapphires, rubies, etc.). The gems weigh quite a bit less than the coin, and readily convert back to plat, with very little loss, when you are ready to make a purchase.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Kobold

Its not primarily KOS its vendors being A-holes. Any melee has a tough time soloing, but there are a ton of people on server and groups are not hard to come by
Old 10-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

If your decisions between monk and necro I would say go necro; they are more in demand and have a lot of good capabilities solo and in groups; their ability to out survive most anyone is pretty awesome in bad situations with fd.

Although I would recommend druid if you're looking at good areas and solo ability. Druids can solo a million different ways, get groups because they're healers/2nd rate dps and snares, make money from ports, etc. The only downsides to druid are:

potentially overplayed (I would say this is also true about monks, but everyone likes a good monk)
no fd

If not druid necro would be my next choice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

If you want to solo and be good another option would be barbarian shaman. Shamans are fairly common but are a very strong class in groups and solo. They also tend to be good money makers as their solo capability at 60 is vey good.

In the end just play what you like most though. Only downside IMO though to shaman is that in large groups and raids you will pretty much just be slowing and buffing.
Closed Thread