Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Sarnak

Default Pros and cons of gm enforced rotation

While its on my mind, i decided to list pros and cons of a GM enforced rotation. I was originally going to post this in RNF but i'd thought that hearing some opinions from some normal people would be nice.

Pros:
-no more variance
-no more raid rule lawyering
-no more poopsocking
-no more petitionquest
-no more tracking (aka sit in the same spot for 10+hours staring at a wall)
-raid system does not require constant gm intervention to sustain itself
-much less perceived gm-favoritism toward guilds
-Everybody gets a shot to see bosses they wouldnt otherwise be able to
-much less guild bickering/drama
-raid drops much more coveted due to being harder to get
-much much less low level ultra twinks running around
-competition based on ability to kill boss, not who can load in the fastest at 4:30AM
-no unclassic, rediculous, raid rules/charters/legal documents/raid.php to have to comb through with your legal team
-is CLASSIC (this was done on some servers back in the day, this is a classic server, right?)
-no autofire third programs being abused

Cons:
-Will take significantly longer to get raid drops, meaning it will take longer to get best in slot. (4+ years of kunark so far, velious era will be here for the rest of p99's life once it gets released so this isnt really an issue)

This is just a rough draft. I think i've hit mostly all the pros and I'm having trouble coming up with cons. If anybody can think of another, please add it here.

note: i dont think this will actually change, this was proposed last year by numerous people but was ultimately ignored in favor of what we've got now. I am just fantasizing about a healthy endgame on p99.
Last edited by harnold; 02-11-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnold [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am just fantasizing about a healthy endgame on p99.
That can't be healthy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

A gm-forced rotation is more classic than this strange, bloated raid scene that has developed as a result of: (1) an endgame population that dwarfs classic levels; (2) mass information that was not available in classic; (3) natural selection that has concentrated the cream-of-the-crop neckbeards from every classic server onto this server in disproportionate numbers; (4) elite batphone technology; and (5) years of static content.

Most "uber" guilds in classic would be at the bottom rung of Class-R on this server. Racing has replaced crawls, difficult content, and cooperation. Racing happened on live, but not to the extent and insanity it happens here.

The current rotation is NOT classic.

#forcedequitablerotation

#WIPEITCLEAN2015
#WIPEITCLEAN2015
#WIPEITCLEAN2015
Last edited by Oakengroves; 01-30-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

You should have specified "GM-enforced" in the title of the thread.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

I think the number one problem with this is that it is not classic (I do not remember any GM enforced rotations). The bizarre two class system with lockouts that we have now is not classic, which renders that primary counter-argument moot. This would only offend a handful of peeps, who would probably be better off on red. I think this is a win-win, red gets a population boost and us bluebies get some harmony ^^
Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the number one problem with this is that it is not classic (I do not remember any GM enforced rotations). The bizarre two class system with lockouts that we have now is not classic, which renders that primary counter-argument moot. This would only offend a handful of peeps, who would probably be better off on red. I think this is a win-win, red gets a population boost and us bluebies get some harmony ^^
there were a handful of servers that did indeed have gm enforced rotations, it is classic
Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

If that is the case the. I do not see any valid arguments against it since what we have is not classic.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The classic argument in favor of a forced rotation is strong.

Everyone ignores the most intuitive argument, however:

Who in their right mind actually enjoys garbage like extended tracking, poopsocking, batphones, waking up at 4:30 AM to snipe raid bosses, and why do they derive enjoyment from it? Why do so many defend it?

I those who subscribe to such values are a tiny minority. Yet, the values of this minority override common sense, basic notions of pleasure, and the values of most people, who enjoy raiding but hate boredom.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Last edited by Oakengroves; 01-30-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Old 01-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakengroves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(1) an endgame population that dwarfs classic levels
Is this actually true? Anytime I'm playing around with "/ count all" only like 10% of the characters online are level 60.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakengroves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The classic argument is the strongest.

Everyone ignores the most intuitive argument, however:

Who in their right mind actually enjoys garbage like extended tracking, batphones, waking up at 4:30 AM to snipe raid bosses and why do they derive enjoyment from it?

I those who subscribe to such values are a tiny minority. Yet, the values of this minority override common sense and the values of most people, who enjoy raiding but hate boredom.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Very well said
Closed Thread