Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

They are either trying to con by withholding info or they are new and prob have no idea what its even worth
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Sarnak

Some people have the right idea... however I think the reason why people do/don't list prices is 1) very different on the forums vs. in-game/EC tunnel and 2) more about behavior.

1) I rarely sell things on the forums, but when I do they are either big ticket items, items I have had trouble selling, or large volumes/lists, where I am trying to reach outside of EC. I usually list the price so I can meet up in game quick and make the transaction.

When listing things in EC, I usually don't put a price, because I am just listing what's for sale. Usually the question is "how much for XYZ" and I reply with a reasonable price, and the sale goes through. I usually set things under wiki value to get in and out of EC. Therefore interested parties buy the items.

2) Problems arise when either the buyer or seller is cheap. A cheap buyer will whine about making an offer because they want to pay less than the approximate value. A cheap seller will be annoying with the "make an offer" so they can squeeze more money out of the buyer. All these are fine and personal decisions that affect your time spent selling/buying.

I list prices on the forums to simplify the transaction, and I usually don't list prices in EC because I am auctioning a list to see if people logged on at that specific time are interested... if no I get out of EC and try again next day or later in the week.

I value my time much more than excess plat, so I buy a little high, sell a little low, except on the big ticket items. Supply and demand weighted by cost of time spent tunnelquesting really dominates all EQ trading decisions, at least for me.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

The reason is quite simple: You cannot edit forum posts after 30 minutes of posting it.

Let's say I make a thread: "WTS X Item for 2k!"

An hour later, someone else makes a thread: "WTS X Item for 1950!"

I would lose out on the sale, because it is trivial to slightly undercut someone.

Since you can't edit your forum posts, you cannot change your thread to something like: "WTS X Item for 1940!".

By leaving the price out, you maintain your ability to adjust the price based on the current sellers.

In EC specifically, you can adjust your price dynamically. However, it is a lot more effort to keep an eye on everything everyone is selling. You might miss a person selling the same item for 50pp less, after they see what you are selling the item for.

I don't agree with the people on this thread assuming the lack of a price tag is mostly caused by the hope of getting more money for the item. It is mostly to prevent the undercutting scenarios described above.

Most people who play P99 know about the wiki prices. It isn't like the days of live, where people tried to screw you all the time. Not to say that never happens, but it is much less common.

If someone is really hungry for an item and is willing to overpay, they will probably overpay anyway, just to guarantee the seller doesn't decide to sell to someone else first.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-27-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitao [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/de...-negotiations/

Advantages of Using Anchoring in Negotiation

If you value only the economic outcome of your deal, make the first offer in order to anchor the negotiation in your favor. But if you value satisfaction with the negotiation process more than the outcome itself, you may want to avoid the stress and anxiety of making the first offer.
Pretty dead on about making the first offer. Occasionally I run into someone that is as stubborn as I am, and we walk around for 30 minutes trying to figure out what the other person wants for the property/service.

But when it comes to tunnelquest, just post the price that you want, and drop it 10% of its original sale price every so often till it sells. Higher price items take longer to sell of course.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

Just offer them a decent amount (can try to do the lowest general auction lately and if they want a quick sale youre good) or just offer the median. its not that big a deal. worst case they say no and come crawling back like a bird on their belly if they change their mind.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Do people negotiate on this server, or is it more a make offer y/n?

If there is an element of negotiation, I don't think you can offer a number given by the wiki, as the numbers are advertised anchor point values, not actual time of sale values.

That's if you care about conserving your pennies.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

People do negotiate. That is one of the benefits of Everquest over MMO's with auction houses. It's always a race to the bottom with auction houses.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both. Some folks treat CommonsMart like a third-world slum and argue over a few cents on the price of some bananas. Then you have people like me who are more apt to take the take it or leave it approach.

Danth
Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If there is an element of negotiation, I don't think you can offer a number given by the wiki, as the numbers are advertised anchor point values, not actual time of sale values.

That's if you care about conserving your pennies.
My dad's "job" for years was buying stuff at garage sales, public auctions, etc. ... and then re-selling it at the flea market. If I learned one thing from going with him on countless such trips (and trying to pick up NES games for myself or whatever), it's this simple bit of advice:

It never hurts to ask "Would you take X (a reasonable lower amount)?".

Worst case scenario they're like Danth and they say no ... and then you're only back to the same place as if you hadn't asked. But if they say yes ... you just saved X plat by typing four words [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:25 PM
Banned

would you care to admit, that you're feeling a little silly right now?
Closed Thread