Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM
Sarnak

Default Magician's Bolt Line of Spells

I just wanted to make sure I had all the facts before adding some notes to the wiki in this regard.

Pros: Long range / comparable, if not identical, DPM as regular nukes of the same level

Cons: Can accidentally hit targets between you and your intended target / terrain features can block the path

In essence, the bolt line is fine in many circumstances, but might want to be avoided in crowded dungeons (lots of mobs mez'd on top of each other and your target), or hilly terrain (Cauldron?).
Old 06-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Planar Protector

My only experience from this line of spells is from https://wiki.project1999.com/Blazing...r_of_Fennin_Ro

I use it for pulling on my Shadowknight. The long range and delayed hit are amazing for pulling. You can cast it, and get two or three med ticks before you have to stand up to prevent getting max damage from getting hit while sitting.

The range is also beneficial if you want to cast a second spell at maximum range. Pull the mob with this spell, and spam the second spell you want to cast. That way, the second spell will start casting at it's maximum possible range.

As to which mage spells are most efficient in terms of DPM, that I cannot say. I have never played a mage for long.

You are correct about the downsides. It is possible for the bolt to be interrupted en-route. I rarely have a problem with this, however. I have only really had an issue in hilly outdoor areas. If I am at the bottom of a hill, and the mob is at the top, that can be a problem.

You can easily do a few tests in the area you are fighting in before you commit to it. Just use your lowest level spell to save mana.

EDIT: Also be careful when casting this spell on pathing mobs. If they path behind a wall while the bolt is en-route, it can be interrupted as well.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-03-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Old 06-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wanted to make sure I had all the facts before adding some notes to the wiki in this regard.

Pros: Long range / comparable, if not identical, DPM as regular nukes of the same level

Cons: Can accidentally hit targets between you and your intended target / terrain features can block the path

In essence, the bolt line is fine in many circumstances, but might want to be avoided in crowded dungeons (lots of mobs mez'd on top of each other and your target), or hilly terrain (Cauldron?).
You hit the nail on the head.

Burn....................14 damage..........15 mana..........200 range......0.93 DPM
Flame Bolt............47 damage.........40 mana..........300 range.......1.18 DPM
Shock of Flame.....96 damage.........70 mana...........200 range......1.37 DPM
Bolt of Flame.......156 damage.......105 mana..........300 range......1.49 DPM
Blaze..................295 damage.......155 mana..........200 range......1.90 DPM
Cinder Bolt..........333 damage......175 mana...........300 range......1.90 DPM

These are some base numbers. However also keep in mind there's a difference between being evoc spec'd and conj spec'd. These numbers get really out of whack if you're conjuration spec'd due to the mana savings.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Kobold

I rarely use bolts because I've had one too many go astray. That and I prefer the less mana intensive one in a group setting, plus being conj specced on top of that
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

I liked the lower ones with my wiz. Between the extra range and a gcd clicky I could often hit them two times before they got into range.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 AM
Sarnak

sometimes the bolt gets "blocked" by players when fighting in a group. highly unreliable spell line
Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I liked the lower ones with my wiz. Between the extra range and a gcd clicky I could often hit them two times before they got into range.
Same. I'm a bit jealous that mages get higher level ones. Situational, but great when solo or pulling. Takes a bit to get used to it, but I like them.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Closed Thread