Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Shaman or Shadowknight?! Input Appreciated!

Hello,

I am considering rolling a Troll Shaman or Shadowknight as a new character. I have about 1K to spend on either for equipment. Unfortunately, my play time is limited, and I spend most of my time soloing content [although grouping on occasion is very fun].

The SK appeals to me slightly more because it is a melee class, and I generally prefer melee, as opposed to casters. However, I am concerned that an untwinked SK will not solo very well, and will have trouble finding groups. I am not concerned about the SK's heavy XP penalty.

The shaman, however, seems like it will be much easier to solo with and probably easier to find groups.

Any input is greatly appreciated, especially from anyone with experience soloing or playing an untwinked SK.
Last edited by Oakengroves; 02-18-2014 at 03:36 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Erudite SK.

Red99
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Kobold

I'll leave this here.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ht=twink+guide

A decent enough weapon should help you solo as an SK. And most people will tell you to play what you want, and if you prefer melee you really should stick to the SK.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Shammies get groups a lot easier, but if you're a melee junkie go SK and don't look back [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also consider an iksar SK... racial epic in Velious ("Greenmist"), worth a thought [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Kobold

SK's are really awesome on P99.

That said, Auroris is my Shaman and also first character here and I'm loving the ability to play solo or group effortlessly.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

main 60 SK - a blast. can fear kite, farm, solo exp grind the way up between groups. the ultimate group tank and a sufficient raid tank at higher levels for all but the most dastardly of mobs

alt - 52 shammy - i have a had an awesome time leveling this character. really a fun class in both group and solo situations. great farmer, root rot (can be a tad boring sometimes), slow tanking. really a jack of all trades (cc, healer, dps, tank, buffbot)

i always encourage people to go SK life cause its a really fun class, but shamans not a bad choice either.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

Just so you're aware, the Shaman is the most melee friendly of the priest classes. I've always played mine as "Battle Shamen" and it was always fun and mana efficient leveling. Long before Kunark came out I had an Ogre shaman that was meleeing Spectre's in Feerrot with a FBSS, a nice 2h, rubi BP, etc.. Since you can slow mobs and haste yourself, it's not difficult to jump into melee all the way to 50 and once you're used to it it's generally more mana efficient than root rotting, not to mention far more exciting. Now with Kunark out it's become even easier with all the improved weapons and items.

A shaman with a Granite face grinder and some sort of a haste would be a force to be reckoned with and keep up with melee damage until the SK starts to get double attack. Even then since you can haste yourself, have better dots and can slow the mob you can solo melee without even having to fear.

Not saying don't play an SK, just saying don't dismiss a Shaman's ability to stand toe to toe against most regular mobs.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

More to the point, a solo Shaman is more of a melee than a solo Shadow Knight in that the Shaman *can* reliably go toe-to-toe with stuff if he wants to. Solo Shadow Knights mostly fear-kite.

Shamans and Shadow Knights both find groups well enough. On my SK I receive random group invites from folks I don't even know with some regularity. Do not under-estimate the hybrid experience penalty, especially as a large race. The majority of hybrids peter out by the early/mid 50's and don't make 60.

Danth
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Planar Protector

Both excellent choices. Shaman though if you're looking for more versatility farming wise, and reaching 60 sooner.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Sarnak

Maybe I'm playing "wrong", but I mostly go toe to toe pretty efficiently on my Troll SK. I do fear kite though, but if I can survive something at 50% HP I will because bind wound is pretty quick. (can also use the HP siphons) I have been using a Mithril 2-Hander, then a Green Jade Halberd and now a Axe of Lost Souls which I got for 1k which I couldn't pass up. Sold my Halberd and gave the Sword back to it's owner. ^
Last edited by NextGenesis88; 02-19-2014 at 03:47 AM..
Closed Thread