Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ya i agree, ps u can solo a rogue but it requires creativeness beyond the 'snare root kite'

people who play necros, druids, shams, and mages are all gr8 nothing wrong with that, its a great place to start

there's no wrong way to adventure in eq
I stand by my statement. If you are primarily a solo player I recommend other games. EQ is a grouping game that shines when forcing people to group for content and socialize. Try Red and a plethora of other games if you just want to solo. It'll be by far a better experience.

Solo mentality pushes for solo focus game play are what killed all of the modern MMOs including EQ.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stand by my statement. If you are primarily a solo player I recommend other games. EQ is a grouping game that shines when forcing people to group for content and socialize. Try Red and a plethora of other games if you just want to solo. It'll be by far a better experience.

Solo mentality pushes for solo focus game play are what killed all of the modern MMOs including EQ.
That is 1 aspect of EQ, it is not the entire way to play the game bro

U are NOT wrong, ur in fact right, but your black and white bipolar thinking is really shading me

I personally like EQ rogues much more than wow rogues, for VARIOUS reasons

like, first of all there are zero dark elfs in wow, and pick pocket is a cool skill in EQ

It takes a clever mind to enjoy a rogue in EQ, in wow, rogues are only about dmg and kidney shotting in pvp, and less about adventure & mystery

weres my burnin rapier quest in wow with fire proc of doom??

what about POISON resist and farmin darkweeds? and legitimate use for pearl rings? not in wow

wow is cool i really enjoyed pvping on a 30 ish rogue in classic wow but it will never be EQ
Last edited by magnetaress; 04-10-2020 at 11:09 AM..
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dude, you are so incredibly blind to the fact that there is more than one way to play a game besides the way you play it (especially a game like EQ).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

case in point:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=354798

tattered and studded leather and the generosity of strangers, i didnt beg any of my gear i was just being chatty :3 and haggling a bit
Old 04-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude, you are so incredibly blind to the fact that there is more than one way to play a game besides the way you play it (especially a game like EQ).
Love all your good posts Loramin. Just keep in mind I'm on my socializing soap box to try to counter what I see as bias and emphasis towards soloing.

Yes there is more than one way to play. Let's keep it in the spirit of what made early EQ great and vanilla WoW and keep in mind things that lead to the downfall of EQ, WoW, etc.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Love all your good posts Loramin. Just keep in mind I'm on my socializing soap box to try to counter what I see as bias and emphasis towards soloing.

Yes there is more than one way to play. Let's keep it in the spirit of what made early EQ great and vanilla WoW and keep in mind things that lead to the downfall of EQ, WoW, etc.
That is great, totally agree, can't force socializing though. That is worse than not socializing. *says the asocial elf*

I believe the bias comes from a few things off the top of my head:
  • We were kids and everything was new and we wanted to explore the game and the best way to do that was together.
  • Now we are adults with busy lives we can't cater to other peoples in game needs as well
  • We all know the game and what we want to do, we have an agenda.
  • For health & sanity reasons most of us constantly get up and do something else IRL every 15~30~60 minutes this can be very random and doesn't fit into a grouping lifestyle.
  • Many of us are asocial and friendless both IRL and in game because this type of game attracts us and we can get by just fine independently. Doing things other than EXPing or killing dragons.

Soloing and being asocial on any class in this game isn't necessarily a negative or dark thing, sometimes its good for the server too. I can hang out and farm plat at an easy solo camp on my rogue, and buy Ice silks from a druid soloing worms in WW with charm pets. It's a win for both of us, especially if we can only dedicate a few minutes at a time to the game, most days.

That said I really love to socialize and have been accused of being a social butterfly, I spend most of my current socializing time on the forums because:
  • It is a non-linear form of communication, people can chatter in parallel, and I don't have to wait for anyone to respond and no one has to wait for me to respond and sometimes a simple F5 is a great way to discover a new and exciting thread. A lot of us are like, multicore now.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Soloers aren't going to kill EQ and always existed.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Plz don't solo shame.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

AC ... dont under estimate

Sssarn

Fantasy
Old 04-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Heh, I'm on a soapbox too, and look: we're both arguing elf sim philosophy here, so my last post didn't need to be so harsh. I do get what you're trying to say (I take it as "try to come out of your shell", which in general is a good message).

But at the same time ... I started Loramin (version 1.0) just as Velious was released on live, and the game was social to me from the start: the reason I made a Barbarian Shaman was because my real life friend made a Barbarian Warrior. I soon converted more real life friends and housemates (we had a mini-cyber cafe going in one room). I also made tons of friends in-game, like the Erudite Wizard concert promoter who had partied with Ozzy and warned me to "go see him now, he's barely there and can't have much time left" ... back in 2001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I absolutely think the magic in EverQuest is in it's multiplayer nature ... and at the same time, both here and on live, I do/did a ton of soloing. I truly don't think those two facts are opposed in any way.

Even if you take the most anti-social person, they'll want to solo in a multiplayer world because such a world has more stakes than any non-MMO RPG. Even if they make a Necro and go from 1 to 60 without talking to another soul (no rezes, no ports, etc.) ... when they hit 60 they'll want gear. There's an upper limit to what they can solo, so they have to join groups/guilds to get better stuff.

So I say, play the game however you want: the game will "play you" toward eventually being social regardless, because that's the nature of a MMOG (or at least a good one like EQ).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread