Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Skeleton

The 1-60 game on blue is such a enjoyable experience on our little server , I have 6 lvl 60s , 1 alt at 57 and another two in the 40s.( all from part time play over the past 6 years ) Green should offer great 1-60 leveling game play.

But the best part about green is that at least for a while there wont be a artificially inflated number of level 60 toons.

Green wont have Chardok aoe , swarming a whole zone, orcs scalps or goblin ears
( are both those last 2 free xp quest gone? ).

The first few years here while grouping no less then 10x I read the words , " I couldn't take 54(or 59) I paid for Chardok aoe "

These are people who would have never made 60 even once , they would have burned out , never finished the grind to 60 and would have left for another game. ( even though the "grind " can be such a fun journey )

Hopefully the lessons learned from blue will translate to a less top heavy green ( at least for a while )
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Fire Giant

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Telling players that want to select a shadowknight, paladin, ranger, or bard that they have to eat a 40% experience penalty on top of their racial penalty while trying to enjoy the classic side of grouping for 2/3's of the server's life span is too much to ask for. I'm giving it a pass.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

I feel like if you are excited to play on green99

a 40% experience modifier is not a concern
Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

they should put a 400% penalty on all of us! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Telling players that want to select a shadowknight, paladin, ranger, or bard that they have to eat a 40% experience penalty on top of their racial penalty while trying to enjoy the classic side of grouping for 2/3's of the server's life span is too much to ask for. I'm giving it a pass.
Yup - I pointed to the dev letter on this topic in the other thread about the exp modifiers.

The purpose of the penalty was because at launch, hybrids were expected to be more powerful and the penalty was intended to balance it out.

Same for racial penalties -- ogre warriors were designed to be better than other options so they get an exp penalty to make it fair.

The fact that it was a penalty shared across the group was so that when your 5 buddies play together, 4 of you don't constantly out level your troll SK friend. So the penalty is "shared" so everyone levels at the same rate.

All great logic -- but then they admitted it was flawed and removed the class penalties and shared modifiers.

Its not like I'm going to sit here and cry and refuse to play green because of an exp penalty, I don't even want to play those classes or races.

But, I think it is one of these scenarios where the "Its classic" argument is really silly.

Racial modifiers, sure. Hybrids? No. Splitting it across the group? No.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly, the game is a lot more fun and engaging when you have to scrape and claw your way up from literally nothing. I'm talking about those first few levels where you're literally saving every copper piece you can to buy bags and spells. When you're happy to group with anyone just because the situation of leveling practically naked and untwinked is so dangerous and precarious. That is real EQ. Getting through the early levels of EQ and establishing your character is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming. The game is really not about uber loots, dragon kills and bat phones. Most players have completely forgotten that you can get a tremendous thrill from looting a large bag and a cracked staff from a decaying skeleton. With Green, they will remember.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The purpose of the penalty was because at launch, hybrids were expected to be more powerful and the penalty was intended to balance it out.
What if only a few players play paladins or rangers or whatever because of the penalty, then that means the brave hero's that chose those classes get to be more unique.

And being unique is the most powerful pixel of them all.

So that means maybe.. the 40% penalty is in and of its self is what made the the most powerful class the most powerful after all.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What if only a few players play paladins or rangers or whatever because of the penalty, then that means the brave hero's that chose those classes get to be more unique.

And being unique is the most powerful pixel of them all.

So that means maybe.. the 40% penalty is in and of its self is what made the the most powerful class the most powerful after all.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I mean, somebody needs to eat death touches once raids open up. Thankfully, those brave souls triumphed over the penalty to fill the role of sacrificial lamb.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, the game is a lot more fun and engaging when you have to scrape and claw your way up from literally nothing. I'm talking about those first few levels where you're literally saving every copper piece you can to buy bags and spells. When you're happy to group with anyone just because the situation of leveling practically naked and untwinked is so dangerous and precarious. That is real EQ. Getting through the early levels of EQ and establishing your character is one of the most satisfying experiences in gaming. The game is really not about uber loots, dragon kills and bat phones. Most players have completely forgotten that you can get a tremendous thrill from looting a large bag and a cracked staff from a decaying skeleton. With Green, they will remember.
Amen. Let us remember.
Closed Thread