Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagami [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, if we wanna get all 4d chess on this argument:
Do you play red?
If no, you can't make 4d chess moves.
else go back to blue ez server.

That post wasn't meant for you
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Kobold

Playing classic ten years after classic is not classic.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Did Brother Hayle give a serverwide shout in the classic era as well? I'm assuming so. But the fact I don't even remember makes me believe that no one besides Paladins was doing the quest back then. On Blue you see someone complete it on a daily basis. The net effect on the game of everyone using instaclick CHs during raids is far more unclassic than simply nerfing the click to be Paladin only. Not only does that produce a more classic and challenging raid environment, it gives our friendly Paladins a more useful and important raid role. Guilds will still actively be completing Soulfires, but only their Paladins will be able to use them strategically at emergency moments to keep people alive. Sounds pretty cool to me.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it's classic then
shit's classic

sorry dude
That is the stupidest argument. Why don't you type out ALL the things on p99 that are intentionally not classic, and a brief description of why, and then repeat your argument.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is the best argument. Classic everquest should remain classic.
I agree
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Fire Giant

was already done on red only paladins can use soulfire so easily can be done.

should be that way imo
Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Aviak

The only thing that's classic about Soulfire being clickable from inventory by every class is the developer's mistake that allowed it. There is nothing classic about lots of non paladins having a Soulfire.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

"Classic EverQuest" always has and always will mean two entirely different things, neither of which P99 can repeat. Those two things amount to: how exactly the code on Verant's servers worked, and how everyone remembers the game working. To say it more succinctly, "classic" can mean classic mechanics, or classic environment.

Again, P99 can never have either one perfectly: the exact code is long gone, and obviously it's impossible to recreate memories of a time when no one knew anything, when we have so much more knowledge now. For the most part, P99 aims for classic mechanics over classic environment. There are exceptions like the mob limit, but for obvious reasons it's simpler to try and replicate old code than old experiences.

But as true as all that might be, can we all stop acting like non-Paladins using Soulfire is completely classic? It's clearly not, by the memory/environment definition of the word. People that remember classic don't just remember Soulfire as "a Paladin weapon", they remember it as THE Paladin weapon (or at least a stepping stone to it). It was a part of the first epic weapon quest ... before epic weapons were even a thing! (See the Patch Notes; they introduce epics as "new Fiery Avenger style quests.")

Yes mechanically you could always use it on another class ... but people are lying to themselves if they truly believe that's 100% classic, in every way people actually use that word.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-21-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

Seeing a soulfire or fiery avenger in game was a special event for most people in EQ

Especially when you couldn't link. You would say "do you mind if I inspect your equipment sir" and if they said yes you would be stoked to see the flaming swords name and other gear on that awesome dude.

Good times.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Fire Giant

People using soulfires for Naggy / Vox kills in pre kunark in Green are the same kind of people that take the glass off of a pinball machine and hit the bumpers with their hand. The OP is absolutely correct.
Closed Thread