Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Looks neat. You might want to add a link to your GitHub page to https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide (your GitHub page already links to it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendaris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have just got P1999 running using Steam on Linux! This solved my mouse look issues and I can even use the in-game graphics settings (brightness ect.) that didnt work at all in Wine for me. Just add P1999 as a non-steam game, then use the GE proton runtime.

This is the proton runtime I'm using:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/p...ustom/releases
What file in the EQ folder did you use? I didn't notice that steam copied the compatibility files in like it did for some other games that are steam games. I tried adding eqgame.exe in and adding patchme to the launch options. Prior, I tried adding that launcher bat instead. Both times, when I click Play, it just flashes quickly and does nothing. In both cases I told it to use proton 5.07 under its own menu of compatibility tools.

I've been having various issues with wine so far, in the absence of using steam, including, so far...zero music despite following the instructions that should have made it work. About to test sound, assuming it doesn't crash before entering world this time. If I don't figure this out soon, I'm either going to have to give in and either use a vm, or investigate how much hassle dual boot would be to put Win 8.1 in. For the record, I'm using MX linux (mxlinux.org) ... which is Debian based. I doubt it's the same beast as either Mint or Ubuntu.
Last edited by NalaAddict; 05-27-2020 at 11:10 PM..
Old 07-15-2020, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTN806 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello there. I recently created a shell script to install Project1999 on Linux, specifically tested on Linux Mint. All you need is a torrent client, the rest is done for you.

A friend was tired of manually setting everything up on new machines. I did a little digging on the P99 on Linux wiki and threw together a small script. It should work on any Debian based distribution, but if you are using another distribution you can just install the required packages manually before running the script.

I'll add other distribution support in the future. Script was thrown together quickly and is a little rough, feel free to change it as you please.

https://github.com/ftn806/P99-Linux-Installer
I get a 404 when clicking on that link.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

I’ll answer it myself. It can be found at GitLab

https://gitlab.com/FTN806/P99-Linux-Installer
Old 07-18-2020, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

But really you don't need a guide:
  1. Install WINE via your distribution's package manager.
  2. Download, install, and patch Titanium.
  3. Run "wine eqgame.exe patchme" from your EQ directory.
sadly something is wonky with my stuff after i just reinstalled ubuntu on this intel nuc. p99 barely works, time from server select to character select is maybe 5minutes and it runs really slow/choppy. same nuc ran p99 lightning fast on win7. other games running fine, maybe ill try playonlinux
Old 07-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

Ahh figured it out, was missing a couple packages like mono and gecko or whatever. Litrus detected that right away when I installed it and it checked my wine directory
Old 09-05-2020, 05:42 PM
Aviak

Arrow Project1999 For Linux: Installation Script

Hello everyone, Elias here and author of the original script.
The Project1999 For Linux installation script has been upgraded and is a bit more robust/clean at this point.
The updated version can be found here: https://github.com/ejhpas/Project1999-For-Linux
Please check the Readme before running the script.

Still a lot of work to be done, but it is much better than it's previous state.
Feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

Thank you Elboot for compiling that, it was very helpful! I do have one issue and that's with the sound. After following your video to the T as well as what you wrote about changing it within the winetricks program I still cannot get sound to work on my Linux Mint. I got this error in terminal:

"ALSA lib conf.c:3722[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib seq.c:935[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work."

Would appreciate any help!
Old 09-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by valithteezee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you Elboot for compiling that, it was very helpful! I do have one issue and that's with the sound. After following your video to the T as well as what you wrote about changing it within the winetricks program I still cannot get sound to work on my Linux Mint. I got this error in terminal:

"ALSA lib conf.c:3722[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib seq.c:935[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work."

Would appreciate any help!
Winetricks route is not what I suggest, does your qsynth config look like these screenshots https://github.com/ejhpas/Project199...er/Screenshots ?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Sarnak

this should clear up some problems as you will need to config your audio

winecfg for your wine audio tab and set it to alsa or pulseaudio

if you have pulseaudio please install or use pavucontrol
Code:
PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) is a simple GTK based volume control tool ("mixer") for the PulseAudio sound server. In contrast to classic mixer tools this one allows you to control both the volume of hardware devices and of each playback stream separately.
for further info please reference https://freedesktop.org/software/pul...o/pavucontrol/