Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Orc

Default How to understand armor value

Hi all, since few weeks I restarted my EQ adventure, stopped in 2002 as a 65 pvp raiding ranger. Now after like 15 years restarted as a war, lvl around 30 atm.
I’m spending some time in hhk and with goblin ears first pp starting to come. As a total ignorant about War I want to prepare a excel file where you giving a value to every stat and finally understanding what’s really better.
I am also always broke, as first char so I will add a ratio on stuffs, points piece worth divided by pp that cost.
For War: I talk with one of best one on server, and he told me the rule:
HP->Sta->AC->Del
I tougt about it and got the conclusion that this is surely right for a high end grouping/raiding war. Hp pool is what you looking for, and dex to let your weapon proc. Probably (soloing, questing, eventually group) lvl 30 war need something else, like being hit less as possible, and do more damage as possible. For it I would like you to consider my point attribution for my excel file!
AC: 3 - str/sta: 2 - dex: 1,5 - agi: 1 - wis/int/cha/mana: 0 - hp: 0,15 - all resist: 0,3.

Let me explain with an example. With these value the breastplate you have access too are:
Barbed ringmail: 2000pp,ac30,str9,hp50, worth 115,5 points
Tree weave: 150pp,ac25,str10 worth 95 points
Crafted breastplate: 200pp,ac22, sta5, hp25 worth 79,75.

Best one is barbed but if you look at ratio you will discover that tree weave have better ratio, so it’s probably better option for a broke leveling war. As all equip is better ratio, you can look at better stats overall!
I would like your opinion about this calculation and attribution points.

I wrote here instead of class specific it’s cause if you want to replay with your opinion on your class I can update file with every class and pass by.

Thanks to everyone that wanna help!
Last edited by Cezar; 04-26-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Old 04-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

HP pool, good weapons, dex, and later on resists(still good to swap on for pulling vs casters at mid lvls)

Thats all that matters for warrior in order of importance lvl 1-60

Good warrior armor naturally has good ac anyway so its not really a thing you have to think about. Just focus HP.

For soloing use fungi + blood points and learn how to combat bandage
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HP pool, good weapons, dex, and later on resists(still good to swap on for pulling vs casters at mid lvls)

Thats all that matters for warrior in order of importance lvl 1-60

Good warrior armor naturally has good ac anyway so its not really a thing you have to think about. Just focus HP.

For soloing use fungi + blood points and learn how to combat bandage
How DO you combat bandage? I tried it the other day and you just stop attacking..
Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Fire Giant

in my opinion...

if you want to solo pre-40, HP/AC all the way (in this order), then STR.
if you want to solo post-40 (weapons start to proc), HP/AC all the way, then DEX.

if you want to group pre-40, HP/AC all the way, then SVM/STR.
if you want to group post-40, HP/AC all the way, then DEX/SVM, then STR.

note that in all 4 scenarios, having good weapon(s) and good haste is actually #1 on the list.

STA is pretty useless. You see STA a lot (starting attributes etc.) cause in the very high end raiding scene this is what is harder to cap and what warriors work on, but at your level STA is very very worse than raw HP.

STR is somewhat useless. You need enough STR to carry all your equipment, and to hit for max damage often-ish. But you don't need 255 STR at level 30. At your level having something like 150 STR is more than enough. Every point of STR will still marginally add to your dps and aggro generation... but much less than what you'd hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

AGI is completely useless. Not sure why you gave it 1 point hehe. We all want AGI to be relevent, but honestly it gives like 1AC for every 7AGI... I am sure you are aware of the under-75 AGI penalty, and having a little above 75 can be nice for when you are encumbered (which can happen with Disempower-type debuffs even if you are careful) so that you don't suddenly drop under the 75 bar. Also to wear a Fungi (-10AGI). But the consensus is still that you should never care for AGI once it's at 75+.

DEX is a linear progression in terms of weapon procs, and weapon procs are your one way to generate aggro (WESS, Frostbringer, Venomous Axe, good old SSoY, etc.) and also your one way to solo as a warrior (Truncheon of Doom, Bloodpoint, Stave of Shielding, Snare whip, etc.) and every single point in DEX raises your proc% chance (there might be a under-75 penalty as well, but this is not confirmed)... this stat is definitely important in my opinion, but most procs are post level 40, with another big batch at level 50. Before that the stat is barely used so you can cap your weapon skills faster, so don't bother so much (even tho you do see a difference in skill-up pace hehe, this is irrelevent everything will be capped at level 40 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

As for your direct question (point system to make an excel file and calculate ratios), I understand the madness, I have the same sickness as you, but honestly, just bump into EC everytime you feel like it, or browse the EC Tunnel section of the forum every now and then, and buy the highest HP/AC item you can with your current budget, working on your worst slots... In your exemple, go ahead with either Tree Weave or Crafted BP, depending what's available right now, and go back to fight to save more money for next upgrade. You will see that most items you buy this way will end up having some STR, DEX, AGI, etc. whether you want them or not.

At some point you will want to work on DEX gear, for better procs, and for Resist Gear, for -well- better resists (mostly for raids, but also important in general dungeon crawling). As a warrior you will do a lot of item swapping, and you will carry a lot of situationnal items in your bags.

And more importantly, work on your haste. I am guessing that by now you have hopefully saved for at least an FBSS or SCHW for the base 21-22%haste. If not drop your excel file and work on this hands down. Haste will help you tank better, solo better, survive better than any amount of HP or AC. Also obviously, work on your weapons. Better DPS means better tanking, and mobs dying faster = HP. There are countless threads about warrior weapons on this forum, but long story short for your budget/level: Staff of Battle (2HX, ~500pp), Jade Mace / Crystalline Short Sword or other 1:2 ratio weapons are in the 500-750pp range as well (DW); level 20-49 two-handed weapons like the Staff of Battle will do considerably more damage (tanking) than Dual Wielding.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Sarnak

Ahah this level 30 warrior just needs to use a Fungi
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

auto attack off - target self hotkey - bandage - sit - stand - target enemy again - auto attack on

If you move at all or get pushed obviously it will fail best to do in corners
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How DO you combat bandage? I tried it the other day and you just stop attacking..
my macro is this:

Line 1 = /attack off
Line 2 = /target <myname>
Line 3 = /pause 2
Line 4 = /doability 1 {where 1 = bind wound}
Line 5 = /stand

then i manually TAB or click on my target and hit my auto-attack button.
this works best with naturally slower weapons, like the aforementioned Staff of Battle, cause you lose no DPS in the process, whereas in my DW setting i will inevitably lose a bit of damage.

Also:

- try to get against a wall when you do it, will prevent some of the pushing that could cancel the bind wound.
- works better against a single target if possible (for the same reason).
- this should be obvious, but it's better to start running than to bluntly wait for BW to finish when shit hits the fan... I have died more than i would dare admit because i was combat bind wounding and wanted that last bit of HP heal before running to zone line, hence killing myself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] the /stand part means you're free to move, at the tiny cost of cancelling your BW, so do it if you have to!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Target self, bandage, /stand, target opponent, attack on.

I use tab targettimg, a bandage and a stand key. You can condense it into a single key if desired.

Use a /stand (or /sit off?) key instead of a sit/stand toggle key to avoid taking max hit rounds.

Strength won't add to your aggro; a weapon will do the same hate per swing regardless of how hard you hit (or even if you hit at all).

Up to 40 it feels trivial to get AC to the point of diminished returns.

I like Str to haul more loot, hp to survive bad pulls, magic resist to shrug off roots, slows and stuns.

As a warrior position and generating swings are key so these effects are to be avoided!
Last edited by Jimjam; 04-26-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Fire Giant

Ty! I guess I figured /stand would cancel it, very cool.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Target self, bandage, /stand, target opponent, attack on.

I use tab targettimg, a bandage and a stand key. You can condense it into a single key if desired.

Use a /stand (or /sit off?) key instead of a sit/stand toggle key to avoid taking max hit rounds.

Strength won't add to your aggro; a weapon will do the same hate per swing regardless of how hard you hit (or even if you hit at all).

Up to 40 it feels trivial to get AC to the point of diminished returns.

I like Str to haul more loot, hp to survive bad pulls, magic resist to shrug off roots, slows and stuns.

As a warrior position and generating swings are key so these effects are to be avoided!
super good advice all around here.

Also, tree weave has a leather look, so kinda cool from a fashion quest perspective.