Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This might be your best quote ever.
I've said shit like this forever. You just weren't paying attention [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-28-2020, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

lol @ people getting so worked up about Teal's existence
Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thought this might interest some. A guide to EQ as it existed in Phase 2 beta. Pretty long.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16VT...ew?usp=sharing

Found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200008171...iles/guide.zip
Nice find.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Part of the reason it's impossible to recreate classic 1999 gameplay is that the server is not populated with people living in the year 1999. Back then simply interacting with a stranger in a 3D virtual world was a completely novel and exciting experience in and of itself. The internet was still not quite mainstream and most people had never conceived of anything like EQ. So simply navigating your character through Norrath and encountering other real people you could interact with was extremely exciting and engaging. The vast majority of players were not powergaming and lusting after pixels. They were just stoked to explore the world, level their character and meet other cool players along the way.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Aviak

I dont think 3 man groups turning down randoms is a big deal. Im playing the game for fun, and its not fun playing this game with most or all of you. Do you want me and my pals to stop having fun just so your bumb ass can get some XP? Pass
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Part of the reason it's impossible to recreate classic 1999 gameplay is that the server is not populated with people living in the year 1999. Back then simply interacting with a stranger in a 3D virtual world was a completely novel and exciting experience in and of itself. The internet was still not quite mainstream and most people had never conceived of anything like EQ. So simply navigating your character through Norrath and encountering other real people you could interact with was extremely exciting and engaging. The vast majority of players were not powergaming and lusting after pixels. They were just stoked to explore the world, level their character and meet other cool players along the way.
I agree but the pixel lust was still there. It just wasn't ramped up yet.

People like Johnathan Wendel were fringe. The extremes of professional paid "gamer" and couch casual were not fully defined yet with people taking sides. I like to use Reddit as my punching bag for establishing this (even though its probably not true)

Online play had all of those guys at the same time. No console matchmaking. No Xbox voice chat.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohedron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol @ people getting so worked up about Teal's existence
What existence?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
god when he talks about the social aspects and roleplaying and how there's multiple guilds for diety/faction/race/playstyle it sounds so much better than the boring line waiting greed simulator that we have now, wish i could go back to that time and experience the real thing again

also 1500 player per server was classic, teal needed to go
There is still the Dark Men of Odus friend. If you are an erudite interested in a fraternal brotherhood dedicated to Erud's way, contact a member and we will set you on your path.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will agree that I've run into this problem more than I thought I would. However, I wouldn't say that I frequently run into not full groups being unwilling to take more...it's still more of the exception than the rule but it's a bit more common than I thought it would be.

I do see it being pretty quiet sometimes, even in groups, but I wonder if we have a lot of new people on Green who never played EQ back in the day and so they're used to the whole social aspect of MMOs being non-existent. I do find that if you make an effort to be talkative though that people will generally respond.
I think a lot of it is the lack of voice chat (which I'm thankful for). Back in '99 EQ taught me how to type. People coming from other more modern games may be slightly turned off at the idea of having to talk with their hands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB-...=youtu.be&t=55

-Mcoy
Old 01-28-2020, 06:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of it is the lack of voice chat (which I'm thankful for). Back in '99 EQ taught me how to type. People coming from other more modern games may be slightly turned off at the idea of having to talk with their hands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB-...=youtu.be&t=55

-Mcoy
Do you even MUD bro?
Closed Thread