Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not a summoned pet, a charmed pet. Look at any raid parse for DPS and it will be a charmed pet doing about 10x damage of any actual player. Charm DPS is completely and utterly unbalanced on P99 (and on live TLPs)
Welcome to classic
Old 04-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisofebola [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's just because you were bad at EQ back then, so were 95% of enchanters.
So false. was in 3 guilds all best on server in live.. I can guarantee you, charming was not a thing in the upper echeleons of EQ play.

The good enchanters back then helped figure out AoE stun lock groups with me. Charming was minimally used, and not in raids until Velious really.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Orc

Maybe we had bad enchanters back then too (early velious era). We had enchanters try to be cheeky and charm a massively overpowered mob in effort to speed up the raid but would constantly lose charm (bad player? resists? I have no idea) and make our raid twice as hard while it ping pongs around killing every one.
Last edited by K-EAVKR; 04-01-2021 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: added histoical context
Old 04-01-2021, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

My IRL friend joined p99 about 6 months in, and started fresh on a barb warrior. I thought he was insane, but he greatly enjoyed the challenge and I was more than happy to help him camp gear and complete his set of crafted. His gear mattered so much more than my shaman, who wore almost all banded with a combine spear until 35ish.

When we were raiding sky pre-kunark, he was happy to be one of the tanks for 4th island and told me "This is exactly why I made this character. Being this crucial piece of the raid."

Melee is just a different path. Melees rely on their friends more, but are also far more VALUABLE to their friends in return, as most groups need at least one solid tank. And as I played an SK to 90 on live, I can say that aggro management is FUN (yes I know non-classic and all but the concept is still the same). I enjoyed pulling aggro off my healers, rounding the mobs up and making sure my face was the one getting bashed in, not theirs.

I started a shaman when green launched and have enjoyed the change of pace from my melees-only run on live (Pal, bst, rng, sk) but I am really getting that itch to just smack things for damage...
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-EAVKR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe we had bad enchanters back then too (early velious era). We had enchanters try to be cheeky and charm a massively overpowered mob in effort to speed up the raid but would constantly lose charm (bad player? resists? I have no idea) and make our raid twice as hard while it ping pongs around killing every one.
Enchanters were not stacking CHA
Enchanters were using 56k dial up modems
Enchanters were playing on servers with 1999 technology and associated delay
Enchanters were not using GINA audio and text alerts
Enchanters were not using clickies to bypass GCD
Enchanters were not universally using J boots and Goblin rings
Enchanters did not have a wiki and game knowledge to tell them what the best charm mobs are and what to avoid trying to charm

All of this contributes to why the game is played differently now.

Anyways, it's always seemed silly to me, in any game, how people hitting things with a metal stick can even at all compete with people who command literal magic. Like, a mage simply casting diamond skin should render the metal stick guy impotent, no?
Last edited by TripSin; 04-01-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Old 04-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyways, it's always seemed silly to me, in any game, how people hitting things with a metal stick can even at all compete with people who command literal magic. Like, a mage simply casting diamond skin should render the metal stick guy impotent, no?
Yeah but they swing that metal stick super hard.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Skeleton

You're always gonna have your min/maxers who don't want to group with hybrids or melee in general. But also there's a lot of people like me who just want adventure and to do things differently. I'm not after xp or loot, just a good time, if I get the xp and loot that just makes it better.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwooky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So false. was in 3 guilds all best on server in live.. I can guarantee you, charming was not a thing in the upper echeleons of EQ play.

The good enchanters back then helped figure out AoE stun lock groups with me. Charming was minimally used, and not in raids until Velious really.
Suuure. We used charms in fear long before kunark even arrived and then almost exclusively for clearing fear 2.0 later for quick run at CT. And guilds are full of trash tier players. That's why many join guilds, to be carried by better player.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Large Rat

Wow that was a lot of information....too bad I didn’t read it
Old 04-01-2021, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyclef31 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're always gonna have your min/maxers who don't want to group with hybrids or melee in general. But also there's a lot of people like me who just want adventure and to do things differently. I'm not after xp or loot, just a good time, if I get the xp and loot that just makes it better.
I haven’t even really run into that on green. Worst I’ve seen is the group has one slot left and is rolling along just fine and doesn’t want to add a final person of any class. No group has ever been like “yeah we need a tank but we’d rather have no tank than a hybrid”
Closed Thread