Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-07-2022, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

U don't rent an aws for each zone server. One aws runs like 60 zone servers or however many zones there are.

Loramin. Sheesh.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Lol
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
U don't rent an aws for each zone server. One aws runs like 60 zone servers or however many zones there are.

Loramin. Sheesh.
That's what I was saying (or more accurately, I was saying one could rent 60+ AWS instances ... but it would be an expensive/bad idea).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello!

Hoping this reached the right area of forums, I am not having any technical problems with Project 1999. Trying to learn about how older MMO games handled clients traveling non-seamlessly.

I am working in an Unreal Project (v5), maybe this is something new game engines impose as a self-limit. The current Guru's suggest a dedicated server can only run one map, and clients who want to travel to another map must disconnect from server and go to a new one (logic handles this). This would mean someone traveling from Qeynos Hills (Server 1) would be disconnected and then routed to server holding Black Burrow (Server 2).

For Project1999, did EverQuest handle clients in the same way?

I would love to hear from the Project 1999 server admin's or if someone knows how to pass this to them - I am not that smart in networking, as time has moved on - did this become something more complicated in gaming, or was it simpler or easier to implement for Project1999?
I'm not a network engineer nor proficient at C, however, have run a few drug boxes.

Your guru, from my understanding, is correct however maybe he got the terminology incorrect.

Each zone is it's own instance. You can, however, run hundreds (or possibly thousands) of instances from one server.

Think of each instance as an open console window application.

You have all classic zones open, so have 60ish or whatever the # of classic zones open as windows.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Fire Giant

Also, I don't know much about Unreal, however, having a few years of experience in Unity, I can assume Unreal would be similar in that there are several network solutions that will solve these normal problems from you.

Might be worth it to invest the money into a networking solution rather than coding it from scratch.