Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-17-2022, 08:16 PM
Orc

I don't get these threads. Isn't point of the server to recreate the 1999 experience?
Old 08-18-2022, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VesperVapes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get these threads. Isn't point of the server to recreate the 1999 experience?
Its just a whimsical thought exercise. It’s not meant to change anything.

The point is the fun of thinking about and discussing it.

Are there any abilities you’d swap?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 08-18-2022, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

I don't think wizards should get the clarity like because they are not at all a buffing class, but I think they should get more efficient meditate. Let them start off right away with 1 mana/10med skill. At lvl 50 make it /9 and at level 60 /8.

That still makes their sustained DPS pretty poor but drastically lowers downtime
Old 08-18-2022, 10:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think wizards should get the clarity like because they are not at all a buffing class, but I think they should get more efficient meditate. Let them start off right away with 1 mana/10med skill. At lvl 50 make it /9 and at level 60 /8.

That still makes their sustained DPS pretty poor but drastically lowers downtime
I really liked someone's suggestion that Wizards have either a self-buff or a buff they can provide that reduces the mana cost of spells.

Maybe even a combo mana cost reduction / threat reduction buff, which would be really interesting. I don't think that impedes on the design space of enchanters, it doesn't improve your downtime, it just prolongs your uptime, which feels in tune with wizards to me?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that'd be insane negligence to overlook that for years without ever realizing it wasn't working.
It's true. It was worse than mere negligence, it was Verant staff thinking they knew everything, assuming the players were a bunch of idiots, and hence they ignored the reports. Same thing happened with alchemy at first 'cept they happened to notice that one a little sooner. They did finally notice it before they ever fixed it, just by the time they noticed it they also noticed players were making do anyway and actually liked dual-wielding warriors so they let it be.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's true. It was worse than mere negligence, it was Verant staff thinking they knew everything, assuming the players were a bunch of idiots, and hence they ignored the reports. Same thing happened with alchemy at first 'cept they happened to notice that one a little sooner. They did finally notice it before they ever fixed it, just by the time they noticed it they also noticed players were making do anyway and actually liked dual-wielding warriors so they let it be.
That is god damn wild.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really liked someone's suggestion that Wizards have either a self-buff or a buff they can provide that reduces the mana cost of spells.

Maybe even a combo mana cost reduction / threat reduction buff, which would be really interesting. I don't think that impedes on the design space of enchanters, it doesn't improve your downtime, it just prolongs your uptime, which feels in tune with wizards to me?
Yeah this also seems fine. You could do a combo of this idea and make wizard specializations extra effective so that they lowered mana costs by 30% or something instead of the standard 10% (or whatever it is)
Old 08-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That is god damn wild.
IIRC it was caught in the run up to Dragons of Norrath expansion, at which point the meta and itemisation had settled on the way things had been done, so the devs were too scared to fix it in case they unsettled all the existing item balance. That is why there was a plethora of Furious Bash items added around then, and a great focus on Shield Block AA.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 08-18-2022, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was worse than mere negligence, it was Verant staff thinking they knew everything, assuming the players were a bunch of idiots, and hence they ignored the reports. Same thing happened with alchemy at first 'cept they happened to notice that one a little sooner. They did finally notice it before they ever fixed it, just by the time they noticed it they also noticed players were making do anyway and actually liked dual-wielding warriors so they let it be.
Even better is their forum community representative 'Absor' who would constantly tell people they were wrong and insult them, when the majority of the time he was wrong about something ingame that wasn't working properly. They had to replace him eventually (although I wondered if it was still him, on a different account name, and forced to change his behavior).
Old 08-19-2022, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

My idea for wizards would be to just give them two lines of DD. One that's absolutely free of mana cost, but good sustained damage, and one that burns your mana for insane burst until out of mana.