Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Large Rat

Default Objection : Server rez "Rules"

Short story :

Lvl 60 logged out, died while Linkdead.

Logged back in next day, ^ discovered I died, lost level 60 and went to get a rez immediately. Bugged corpse "too old to be resurrected".

??? Began a petition. Guide messaged me "we don't rez for that." Even though this is clearly a client/server issue.

What gives? At this point I'm just complaining sure, but now I get to waste hours correcting a game issue. This is ridiculous. Happen to anyone else?
Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 PM
Sarnak

First - that sucks.

Second - A guy I know did that and went from 60-> low 50’s. Maybe consider only the one lucky? .
Old 06-22-2021, 08:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitao [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First - that sucks.

Second - A guy I know did that and went from 60-> low 50’s. Maybe consider only the one lucky? .
Old 06-22-2021, 09:24 PM
Server Guide

Please keep in mind that you're playing a 20 year old game on a set of servers that goes out of it's way to recreate the "classic experience" as a core tenet of it's mission. Even going as far as to recreate or "unfix" bugs in the EQEMU project to keep true to the Classic timeline.

Dying and xp loss to things beyond our control is part of that classic experience you're in this game for.

As far as what merits or does not merit a GM rez, also keep in mind that the reason we are so restrictive on what sort of events/incidents warrant a rez is because it's not always very clearly a server issue. Outside of server-wide lag spikes or crashes, it is incredibly difficult to determine what caused a death. Without some sort of definitive proof, we err on the side of that classic experience where the death penalty is harsh, and that's what we all knew going into playing a 20 year old game.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 PM
Large Rat

While all of us know and appreciate we're playing a 20 year old hardcore game, this is bogus rationale.

It would be clearly noted in logs what killed the LD level 60 char at the WC rings. YOU have the definite proof, on your end (server/client). I'd also like to point out during our online discussion you mentioned this happens often, and what I stated above is true. So "we don't rez for that" and your response to the aforementioned problem on the server does not apply. This aspect of a bug is not legacy or original content, seems more like laziness and being unwilling to help fix a client issue honestly.

Maybe consider changing the rule on this one thing. Since others have experienced it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savazuul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please keep in mind that you're playing a 20 year old game on a set of servers that goes out of it's way to recreate the "classic experience" as a core tenet of it's mission. Even going as far as to recreate or "unfix" bugs in the EQEMU project to keep true to the Classic timeline.

Dying and xp loss to things beyond our control is part of that classic experience you're in this game for.

As far as what merits or does not merit a GM rez, also keep in mind that the reason we are so restrictive on what sort of events/incidents warrant a rez is because it's not always very clearly a server issue. Outside of server-wide lag spikes or crashes, it is incredibly difficult to determine what caused a death. Without some sort of definitive proof, we err on the side of that classic experience where the death penalty is harsh, and that's what we all knew going into playing a 20 year old game.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Look at it this way, you get to hit max lvl twice!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 PM
Kobold

Sounds classic to me.

>Next, the guide rezz. NOBODY over level 20 should be confused or surprised by the incredibly limited powers a guide has. I can rezz you if 1) You zoned into lava, 2) Died due to Verant crashing (not you and your dial up, VERANT), and 3) Died to a confirmed bug. Otherwise, I can’t do it. I would love to, but I can’t.

https://eatingbees.wordpress.com/the...g-a-guide-you/
Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 PM
Planar Protector

We must not make additional work for the all-volunteer staff. One must remember this in all things on P99.

Some would make a joke about asking for your money back.

If you had time to level a character to 60, you have time to do a little more grinding. The solution to this error, even though it is not your fault, is to go play some EverQuest.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:37 PM
Kobold

Sounds completely classic to me. From a well known rant posted by a guide back in the day:

Next, the guide rezz. NOBODY over level 20 should be confused or surprised by the incredibly limited powers a guide has. I can rezz you if 1) You zoned into lava, 2) Died due to Verant crashing (not you and your dial up, VERANT), and 3) Died to a confirmed bug. Otherwise, I can’t do it. I would love to, but I can’t.

https://eatingbees.wordpress.com/the...g-a-guide-you/
Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 PM
Server Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by completepts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be clearly noted in logs what killed the LD level 60 char at the WC rings.
It would?

Problem number one, you're presuming facts with zero evidence.

Problem number two, when you /q out of the game, strange and unexplained stuff can occur. No one can know for sure what happened because you didn't camp out, and no one saw it.

All of the plausible explanations I discussed with you are related to the /q mechanism. All of which are classic, and none of which are bugs. You decided you didn't like this aspect of the game, and classified it as a bug on your own.

Next time, /camp. Problem solved.
Last edited by Savazuul; 06-23-2021 at 12:07 AM..
Closed Thread