Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's stuff like getting a haste belt, or getting a slightly more optimal weapon when you already have a PWC, that I think isn't worth the trouble.
I'm with you now, I can agree with all that ;D
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

None of that requires doing melee damage: between slows, roots, and DoTs (and Flash of Light [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) Shaman can easily tank a mob without ever landing a single melee hit. Melee damage is just "well I'm already standing next to this mob anyway, I might as well hit the auto attack button to throw a few extra DPS in".
This made me laugh more than I care to admit. It's been a rough day, thanks for the laugh. Well played.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Aviak

Didn't feel that I should create a new thread to ask since it's related:

My ogre shaman is currently lvl 21 and I have a PWC (with SCHW). Should I continue to save up for a Granite Face Grinder, or would my (eventual) plat be better spent on replacing my mediocre armor with something like Arctic Wyvern?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphablue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't feel that I should create a new thread to ask since it's related:

My ogre shaman is currently lvl 21 and I have a PWC (with SCHW). Should I continue to save up for a Granite Face Grinder, or would my (eventual) plat be better spent on replacing my mediocre armor with something like Arctic Wyvern?
So, this is just me, but here's how I see your options:
  • save for a Granite Face Grinder, which will result in a miniscule increase in your DPS (Benefit? A miniscule increase in your XP gains)
  • spend your plat on replacing armor so that you have slightly higher maximums (Benefit? It won't even increase your XP rate a little, but maybe under very rare/specific circumstances it could save you from a death)
  • do neither: forget that plat exists, throw it in the bank when it gets to heavy, and otherwise just focus on leveling (Benefit? You level noticeably faster).

Again, this is just my opinion, but any time/energy spent on gear before 45, except for stuff like a Fungi Tunic that you won't be able to afford anyway, is a complete waste. Better maximums don't increase your rate of XP gain, so instead of wasting that time you should just level up. And you don't even have to stop at 45: I guarantee you can wear nothing except the gear you loot (eg. Jarsath armor from KC) and still level all the way to 60 as a Shaman just fine

To me it boils down to:
  • 1-45: level
  • 45-60: maybe level, maybe get gear
  • 60: get gear

45-60 to is sort of a gray area because depending on how good you are at earning plat (and how much you like earning plat, and how much you like "toys"), it might be worth spending some time to get Shaman items like Fungis, epics, or JBBs. Getting an epic or JBB will increase your DPS/XP rate significantly, but will they increase it enough to make up for all the time you spent getting them in the first place? Hard to say.

Alternatively, if you level to 45 you can join a raid guild, and then get stuff like a suit of Velious dragon armor for only the cost of some gems and your time spent raiding ... but then your raiding time will cut into your leveling time, and even a suit of dragon armor really isn't going to make you level faster, so there's a good case to be made for saving raiding until later too.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-30-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
So, this is just me, but here's how I see your options:
  • save for a Granite Face Grinder, which will result in a miniscule increase in your DPS (Benefit? A miniscule increase in your XP gains)
  • spend your plat on replacing armor so that you have slightly higher maximums (Benefit? It won't even increase your XP rate a little, but maybe under very rare/specific circumstances it could save you from a death)
  • do neither: forget that plat exists, throw it in the bank when it gets to heavy, and otherwise just focus on leveling (Benefit? You level noticeably faster).

Again, this is just my opinion, but any time/energy spent on gear before 45, except for stuff like a Fungi Tunic that you won't be able to afford anyway, is a complete waste. Better maximums don't increase your rate of XP gain, so instead of wasting that time you should just level up. And you don't even have to stop at 45: I guarantee you can wear nothing except the gear you loot (eg. Jarsath armor from KC) and still level all the way to 60 as a Shaman just fine

To me it boils down to:
  • 1-45: level
  • 45-60: maybe level, maybe get gear
  • 60: get gear

45-60 to is sort of a gray area because depending on how good you are at earning plat (and how much you like earning plat, and how much you like "toys"), it might be worth spending some time to get Shaman items like Fungis, epics, or JBBs. Getting an epic or JBB will increase your DPS/XP rate significantly, but will they increase it enough to make up for all the time you spent getting them in the first place? Hard to say.

Alternatively, if you level to 45 you can join a raid guild, and then get stuff like a suit of Velious dragon armor for only the cost of some gems and your time spent raiding ... but then your raiding time will cut into your leveling time, and even a suit of dragon armor really isn't going to make you level faster, so there's a good case to be made for saving raiding until later too.
Very insightful, thanks!

I think you've swayed me to not even think about gearing unless it happens to drop, and instead just accumulate plat and deposit it for later. Can't argue with your logic about time spent leveling vs farming plat.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Planar Protector

I agree that Granite Face Grinder is a waste of money for a shaman. The ratio is almost identical to PWC. Save that money for a JBB.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Sarnak

You could make a fair argument that grinding all the way to 60 in banded/jarsath is possible and/or better, since you can then farm better cash/gear at 60. However, isn't it also possible that once you get to 60, (unless you're raiding with that char) there's no point in getting better gear for that character anyways, since you're already done leveling him so what's the point in gearing?

To me that's the P99 paradox- in a dead-end server, the whole point in playing is leveling up/developing a character. On live, you still had an incentive to play a max-level character since you're preparing for the next expansion etc. But since that's not the case here, I really don't get the point of rushing to 60 so then you can start gearing up. GEARING UP FOR WHAT?? You already beat the game.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

You use the shaman to start making even more money. Then use that money to twink new alts to so you can begin the 1-60 adventure anew.
Closed Thread