Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 AM
Banned

Default Does stat food work?

So i just made some gnome kabobs, and they're supposed to give me +2 int, but when i eat them i'm still at the same int i had before?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

I don't know about green, it does on red )
Old 03-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

You don't eat it - you put it ahead of the non stat food in your inventory, and you manually eat the non-stat food so you don't auto-eat the stat food.

-Mcoy
Old 03-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feracitus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So i just made some gnome kabobs, and they're supposed to give me +2 int, but when i eat them i'm still at the same int i had before?
You don’t eat it. You put stat food in the top bag slot ahead if any other food to get the stats for it. Ideally the. You just manually eat regular food (until you’re full) so the stat food never gets eaten
Old 03-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feracitus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah you're gonna need more than a few gnome kabobs to fix that problem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You don't EAT the food, you STARE at it longingly. It's the CRAVINGS for the delicious gnome meat, roasted over an hardwood fire with spices and sauces that make you smarter. Hmm. Stringy little gnomes, roasted in the fires of Solusek's Eye...their little bodies tenderised by a thorough beating by Jobantik... anyway.

Go buy a stack of muffins or find a steady source of cheap food (whatever you can forage, fishing results that aren't sandals or daggers, summoned black bread, chunks of meat) and then take your gnome kabobs and put them in your top-left bag, in the top-left slot. You will see your INT go up.

Then stuff your fat face full of muffins until you will explode.

Every so often, stare longingly at the kabobs. Drool over them. Make sure you haven't eaten one yet.

Then stuff another muffin in your gob.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Kobold

Fun little story:
I always have several stacks of my crafted food on me, both so that I never have to worry about being hungry, and so that any team member that asks "Anyone got any food to spare?" can immediately be handed a stack of quality food instead of summoned food.

Did this in one group recently, and the monk responds, "Food can have STATS!!?"
Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by larper99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fun little story:
I always have several stacks of my crafted food on me, both so that I never have to worry about being hungry, and so that any team member that asks "Anyone got any food to spare?" can immediately be handed a stack of quality food instead of summoned food.
Hasn't happened a lot on Green, but on Blue people seemed to let themselves get low on food a lot. Usually in Kunark because of the distance from all the vendors. I raised baking to about 135 just to give people creative things to eat.

I did manage to gross out one of my friends by handing him some of Cabilis' more... interesting... cuisine choices.

Earthworms are full of protein, after all.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Banned

HA! you learn something new everyday! Food that you're supposed to NOT eat to get it's benefits lol, talk about wonky game mechanics!
Last edited by Feracitus; 03-09-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
HA! you learn something new everyday! Food that you're supposed to NOT eat to get it's benefits lol, talk about wonky game mechanics!
While it is a wonky mechanic, I can see how it came about, being an applications programmer for many years.
In hindsight, food eaten should give an unremovable spell effect, just like any spell cast on a player by a mob during combat. The effect would have stats such as duration and player stat adjustments. The effect would survive zoning, like other detrimental effects.

But, perhaps food was added to game development late (or perhaps actually early, before spell effects were added). In this case, it was simply an inventory check, not a state of the character. The character has a state of "fullness", but not a state of what was eaten. So, to implement food stats, that said, well, we already pull food from an inventory slot, what is in that slot? That will be the current food stats if the character is not "hungry". Just like how armor and jewelry work. The system checks the inventory on any event (such as zoning or changing inventory) and applies the stats based on current inventory.

I can see the meeting: "Well, players could change the food they are going to eat to maximize their stats at any time." "Yeah, right. Who is going to do THAT? Besides, it's too late to change the code now for something that will never happen."

Happens ALL OF THE TIME in app development when requirements are constantly changing. The words "That will never happen" are always negated on day 1 of beta.
Last edited by larper99; 03-09-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Planar Protector

Ya I don't bother force feeding myself, I just let my character auto-eat the stat food.
Closed Thread