Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Kobold

Default P99 vs EQ Live F2P

Hey all,

Can someone tell me the big differences between the two?

I haven't been on P99 or EQ Live for a long time, and last time I was on... EQ Live just didn't have the group play P99 had.

Without bias, can someone tell me the big differences as far as play (beside the obvious difference in expansions)?

I enjoy grouping up, to me that's what a MMO is for... group play, make new friends, have new adventures.

Thanks again
Old 04-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Large Rat

On P99, there's no superquick form of transport across the game. The only ways you can get from one part of the world to the other quickly are by either boats at Qeynos or Freeport or from druids/wizards. Even then, the boats take 30 minutes each trip and the druids and wizards expect some kind of tip.

Another difference is that many zones are unrevamped. This means no accursed CT, no revamped FP, CL, and Ro.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreavers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On P99, there's no superquick form of transport across the game. The only ways you can get from one part of the world to the other quickly are by either boats at Qeynos or Freeport or from druids/wizards. Even then, the boats take 30 minutes each trip and the druids and wizards expect some kind of tip.

Another difference is that many zones are unrevamped. This means no accursed CT, no revamped FP, CL, and Ro.
Thanks for the info. I don't mean to be rude... but that information is great but I'm curious more so with big differences, I'm hoping to get on and make friends and play in groups and do quests in groups. I'm sure P99 would be the best choice but I'm trying to see others thoughts.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

I have recently been playing live. Started F2P but switched to all access.

I would say the difference between live and here is that all of the modern convenience of other MMOs exist on live. Mail, auction house, player housing, mounts, plane of knowledge teleportation, guild hall, instanced stuff, and such so the game is very casual friendly which is nice for people short on time. There is still a small death penalty but no more corpse runs, they added mercs to help you level to offset the lack of low level players and some of them can rez you.

That said the social game is lacking you wont see this robust player economy and activity that you might see here in say EC. Itemization is kind of weird to get used to at first. The biggest negative to me is now you are kind of forced to use the new models. Ive held out but I am sure there will be a point where the mounts mana regen will be needed.

Its easy mode to level up into your 60s 70s your merc can kill most crap by himself and god gear drops from everything but you can also forgo all of that and still revisit old zones and quest and all of that without the crowded camps. Some mechanics are different and will never be the same like bard dot dmg and all classes are pretty balanced compared to p99 so you can play what you want without worry about desirability in groups and nerfs and such.

If you want a neurotic neckbeard obsession over outdated content slammed elbow to elbow with scum this is the place to be. If you just want to take it easy and explore old stuff or advance at your own pace live isnt so bad.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist_santa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have recently been playing live. Started F2P but switched to all access.

I would say the difference between live and here is that all of the modern convenience of other MMOs exist on live. Mail, auction house, player housing, mounts, plane of knowledge teleportation, guild hall, instanced stuff, and such so the game is very casual friendly which is nice for people short on time. There is still a small death penalty but no more corpse runs, they added mercs to help you level to offset the lack of low level players and some of them can rez you.

That said the social game is lacking you wont see this robust player economy and activity that you might see here in say EC. Itemization is kind of weird to get used to at first. The biggest negative to me is now you are kind of forced to use the new models. Ive held out but I am sure there will be a point where the mounts mana regen will be needed.

Its easy mode to level up into your 60s 70s your merc can kill most crap by himself and god gear drops from everything but you can also forgo all of that and still revisit old zones and quest and all of that without the crowded camps. Some mechanics are different and will never be the same like bard dot dmg and all classes are pretty balanced compared to p99 so you can play what you want without worry about desirability in groups and nerfs and such.

If you want a neurotic neckbeard obsession over outdated content slammed elbow to elbow with scum this is the place to be. If you just want to take it easy and explore old stuff or advance at your own pace live isnt so bad.
Thanks! I'll give P99 a shot first, I'm really hoping to get on. I need something to be obsessed about this summer.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Large Rat

Starting from scratch? BYOG, most grouping seems to be higher level and the latest expansions, mostly what I've seen is group action for levels 90+.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirreln [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Starting from scratch? BYOG, most grouping seems to be higher level and the latest expansions, mostly what I've seen is group action for levels 90+.
That's a shame.

What does BYOG mean?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

likely bring your own group.

Anyway, the differences are ... about everything. Last I played was before the f2p junk, I think back when they first started progression servers and had a free week or something. Even at that point, they were pretty much two different games. But even by the release of the titanium box, it was pretty different from classic EQ, but some similarities. But it had already slid well into a more casual game imo.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Large Bat

This server keeps it well. Classic. in the sense that it's all pre-luclin so far. No quick and easy way to do things for the most part which is a nice part of the challenge. With live it's honestly pretty overwhelming with how many xpacs they released and all of the content, so to jump into that is pretty daunting at this point.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Aviak

P99 is an emulated MMO, Live is almost a singleplayer by now. I wouldn't call live more casual if you Count on getting the thousands upon thousands of AAs needed to max a char at this Point. Not using a shitload of boxes to PL it would take even longer.
Closed Thread