Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone explain to me why this would be the case? F9x3 accomplishes basically the same damn thing.
It's fine if you're sitting still. Trying to run around is a different story. This is assuming you're using right click to steer
Old 09-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone explain to me why this would be the case? F9x3 accomplishes basically the same damn thing.
if you want to be pedantic, the mouselook controls also historically worked differently in third person until deep into Velious. There's a reason almost nobody used the third-person view modes early on:

Quote:
------------------------------
September 25, 2001 3:00 am
------------------------------

- Mouselook will now work a little differently when in the first two
third-person camera modes (overhead and chase). They will work
similarly to first-person mouselook (i.e. your character's heading will
change when you move the mouse left or right, the left and right
movement keys will cause your player to strafe, and the camera angle
will pitch up or down when you move the mouse forward or back). These
changes should make those first two third-person camera modes more
useful.
The chase-cam modes accessed with the function keys don't quite track the same way either and don't zoom exactly the same. The widespread use of third-person view modes not only makes situation awareness much more trivial but it's one of the most widespread non-classic things about P99. Norrath was built to be seen from the first-person perspective. If you're making the cutoff for "blue" the 2002-era adoption of the new UI then I suppose it fits within that timeline.

The various non-classic uproars over just about everything you've wanted to change in the past few weeks has been a bit of a revelation to me in the sense of just how many people are here simply because they want a free/noboxing server and not because they necessarily like classic-style EQ specifically. I think giving ground on the pet window thing may have been a mistake. Give an inch, they want a mile--indeed.

I'll stick around here regardless of the classic features added--or not added. P99's nice as it is. A more-classic P99 would also be nice. The efforts of you, Nilbog, and your team have provided the wife and I with something of a video game "lifeboat" over the past decade. We might be entirely out of gaming if not for P99. Looking forward to years ahead.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-30-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Old 09-30-2019, 05:23 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you want to be pedantic, the mouselook controls also historically worked differently in third person until deep into Velious. There's a reason almost nobody used the third-person view modes early on:
Sounds like something I'll cook up this weekend and submit for Green.

I know exactly the situation this is referencing. Would be great to have it era locked.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 09-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Aviak

Please continue to make green the 100% classic that all these purists need. Let blue be what it has been - not a devolution of something unrecognizable to those who've been on the server for years and years.

Blue is already something different than classic - and compromises have already been made to increase playability, honor techniques and methods people have used for years to play. We have invested our time here, and it is frankly depressing to see it all stripped away with changes that really are designed for a new experience, not the old experience we've grown accustomed to with Blue.

Compromise is possible, both purists and pragmatists can have their way. Choice can be maximized, and everyone can have a place for their style, but not if green's changes are imposed upon Blue.

Thanks for maintaining this project. I want to keep playing, but I can't force myself to participate when a cascade of changes are made that essentially make the game clunkier, less user friendly, and less fun. I don't play this game for the "classic" targeting mechanics, I play it for the mob encounters, the people, the lore and nostalgia. If people want to play it for the classic targeting mechanics, then let them roll on green! A new choice for people is truly one of the biggest advantages for the green server, and we should maximize the differences of that choice.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomagradd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please continue to make green the 100% classic that all these purists need. Let blue be what it has been - not a devolution of something unrecognizable to those who've been on the server for years and years.

Blue is already something different than classic - and compromises have already been made to increase playability, honor techniques and methods people have used for years to play. We have invested our time here, and it is frankly depressing to see it all stripped away with changes that really are designed for a new experience, not the old experience we've grown accustomed to with Blue.

Compromise is possible, both purists and pragmatists can have their way. Choice can be maximized, and everyone can have a place for their style, but not if green's changes are imposed upon Blue.

Thanks for maintaining this project. I want to keep playing, but I can't force myself to participate when a cascade of changes are made that essentially make the game clunkier, less user friendly, and less fun. I don't play this game for the "classic" targeting mechanics, I play it for the mob encounters, the people, the lore and nostalgia. If people want to play it for the classic targeting mechanics, then let them roll on green! A new choice for people is truly one of the biggest advantages for the green server, and we should maximize the differences of that choice.
All I read was, "I can't tab thru targets so I'm quitting."
Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wouldn’t make sense, if the goal of this Project was to create the most popular EQ server possible. But that’s not the goal, it’s to make a server that is as close to the classic EQ experience as possible with the resources available.

If people enjoy playing on it: Great!

If it is too difficult/unwieldy for many: That’s great too!
I get what the goal is, and I completely understand that none of this is democratic, put to a vote, or held to any community discussion or input.

--------Trolls can stop here (or continue reading to point out I'm an idiot and your'e superior, bla bla bla...).------------

That being said, it's not unlike King Midas wanting to change everything he touched into gold. The obsession with purity may leave you alone in regret when you realize your vision is shared by only a select few.

The decisions made to limit commonplace (in 2002 even) functionality and usability in the name of "classic" might as well include limiting processor speeds and graphics cards to what was available in 1999. Just put a block on login that checks VRAM and CPU speed, limit it to windows 95/98 OS's only.
Why not? My 4.4 gig proc sure as hell isn't classic. Windows 10 RTF out. 4G of vram, not using a PS/2 KB and Mouse, have a 4k monitor? tough shit. God forbid you use it on a laptop, that wasn't feasible.

Your comment "If it is too difficult/unwieldy for many: That’s great too!" is like saying, "remember that breakfast cereal you loved as a kid? You can have it again! BUT we're gonna have you sit at a table with your mom and your stepdad and discuss why you're failing history while watching reruns of ren and stipmy in the background, and you must find and use the same (or very similar) bowl and spoon you did on April 19, 1999. Otherwise, too bad!"

Almost everyone who wants to try that cereal again is going to look at the bs invloved to enjoy said cereal and say, "meh, never mind."

Where as saying, "remember that breakfast cereal you loved as a kid? Here it is, but available to consume in relatively the same form as any other cereal" is more along the lines of what I feel the majority of people who are currently playing would be far more inclined to do, and how I (at least) interpreted the goal of P99.

And FWIW never played a chanter, and don't really GAF about in what particular instance it's fair or not fair to use tab targeting in someones opinion. I'm just stating that the removal of simple things that either don't effect the game mechanics (UI customization/scaling) or minor impact (pulling tab targeting is pretty stupid) just seems petty and putting "vision" ahead of functionality and usability.

My opinion. I'm sharing it. Tear it apart if you want. Call me an idiot or say I've come to false conclusions or I clearly don't understand (input whatever tangential thing i clearly missed because "vision" or "classic" or "didn't happen till X/X/2000")...
I don't care, it's a game, and these are my thoughts on the evolution of it.

-encopitt
Old 09-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All I read was, "I can't tab thru targets so I'm quitting."
And that's the problem.

-encopitt
Old 09-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by encopitt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And that's the problem.

-encopitt
Well, we agree on one thing then.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Sarnak

This is crazy, the classic way things worked is to F9 to a far view, pull the camera out as far as possible at an diagonal angle, then auto run. When you look away for 1 second, then you run into a red mob. That's EQ!
Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like something I'll cook up this weekend and submit for Green.

I know exactly the situation this is referencing. Would be great to have it era locked.
Oh god, that's gonna be horrible.

I love it.
Closed Thread