Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Kobold

Default Chromebook and Project1999

I am not 100% sure how the Chromebook works, but it has the Google Chrome OS apparently. I am thinking of getting one for work, but I am curious if Project1999 could work on it somehow.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Kobold

you could put linux on it and run p99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i know it's not the solution you're looking for, but linux will run on (almost) anything
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

I don't think Chromebooks can run the Windows OS, nor do they have the graphics/computing power to probably play a game such as EverQuest since they are designed for browsing the web and not running hardware intense applications.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Netbook or compact laptop (for teh powerz) is a better option if you want to run non web-based stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sorry for the necropost. In my searching this post had the most in common with my own issue.

I just started researching how to get P99 working on my new samsung chromebook, and so far I think the only way possible is over remote desktop. But because it runs the Google OS (which is essentially the Google Chrome browser), it is limited in what apps/programs are available for it.

Chrome Remote Desktop is the default remote desktop app for Google OS. I have gotten it to work well for doing most things on my home computers from my chromebook, like opening pdf's, updating software, and downloading patches for games, but it still struggles in getting even an older game like EQ to run.

I know I still need to reduce my installation and turn down effects, and I think the video quality on the Chromebook is actually rather decent: I've been able to stream Youtube videos and TV shows from stream sites at full 1080p with excellent performance. I also checked into the processor after the reply above and found this info on it:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...s/news_17.html
Quote:
The Exynos 5 Dual, with two CPU cores running at a blazing 1.7GHz, its high-powered multi-core GPU, full high-definition multimedia capabilities, and the highest available memory bandwidth in an mobile SoC
And about the GPU:
Mali-T604 ARM
Quote:
Designed for Visual Computing and using innovative tri-pipe architecture, the ARM® Mali™-T604 GPU Compute solution builds upon a track record for high-quality scalable multicore solutions for 2D and 3D graphics. Key APIs supported include OpenVG™ 1.1, OpenGL® ES 1.1, OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 3.0*, DirectX® 11 and OpenCL™ 1.1.
Other notable Chromebook specs:
11.6’’ (1366x768) display
Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
HDMI Port
Bluetooth 3.0™ Compatible

My home internet connection is also pretty good, doing 30Mbs down and 10Mbs up, on the average. So according to the other threads like this, I've deduced that is rather good, and I should be alright with that where it is.

So I guess what I'm really left wondering is if there are any other known remote desktop apps for Google OS that someone might recommend as an alternative to CRD? I think CRD might not be the most efficient, but I am a complete noob when it comes to remote desktop programs, so I really don't know. If there is a faster program for doing it, I'd certainly like to try it.

Also, someone in some other threads mentioned using a cloud for storage of some of the game. What exactly does this accomplish in the playing-eq-remotely equation? I have 100GB of space I can use on the google cloud, and if it would make running the game easier I'll use it that way, but I have a feeling since eq can't be run as a browser-based program, I'm SOL on actually using the chromebook as anything close to an actual laptop when it comes to games like this (it wouldn't even recognize my usb game controller that I use for my roms).

Has anyone already figured out these questions? lol
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Banned

not familiar with chrome but personally would rather use an emulated linux or windows instead of RDP onto another PC. soemthing lik vmware or bootcamp
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe someone will make an EQ client that works in a browser.

LOL

Okay for serious I just bought this machine and will tinker and let you know if I come up with anything worthwhile.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks, I would appreciate any help and expertise.

I'm looking into using the dev mode on the chromebook to boot into Ubuntu from a flash drive. But I have no experience whatsoever with Linux, so the information still seems a little overwhelming.

I'm not even sure what I would need to do in order to even install any programs onto the machine after having Linux working correctly, but if someone had any kind of good tutorials or guides to follow, I can at least start learning while working on a project that will result in a fun experience at the end (ie playing P99 from my chromebook, lol).
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Aviak

The Samsung Chromebook uses an ARMv15 CPU. This is not Intel compatible, which means WINE will probably not be sufficient to run Project1999.

However, the ARMv15 CPU is capable of virtualization so if you can get Ubuntu running then you can try running Windows XP in virtualization. If it works with enough performance to run Project1999 (even the old Intel Atoms will run the game fine), you may be able to do this.

If I had one I'd be interested in taking a crack at it but I don't have one of the new Samsung Chromebooks. Although, the Intel based Chromebooks can run Windows and thus Project1999 (although, the reviews pretty much state that the quality of the Samsung is far better than the others.)