Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-20-2022, 07:17 PM
Large Rat

Default Mage chain summoning question...

I recently got the EQ bug again and started a mage on Green Server. I went mage because I have never played one and I love pet classes in general and I'm starting with nothing...

My Question/s: Chain summoning down a mob...How does this work? Like I had a random last night tell me I would probably enjoy an enchanter/Necromancer more because Chaining isn't what it used to be... I just don't know what to think about that because i don't know what he's talking about. (i get the concept of chaining, summoning a pet over and over until mob is dead) Is chaining not what it used to be? What am i missing here? if anything....Am i wasting my time leveling up a mage? I just don't want to get 20-40 levels in and feel gimped because of the lack of ability to solo effectively or what have you. I can see Necros get a nice toolkit and enchanters get to be borderline gods (don't like the stress of having my pet turning around and taking off my head off). I just like strong pets and Nuking things.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

You can no longer or at least I have yet to figure out how to tell a pet to go away while your casting your new pet. Meaning before I could tell my pet to go away 1/2 a second before new pet cast. Now you have to time it so your spell finishes close to pet dying. If you miss time spell and it casts when old pet is still alive you will lose all the mana. Or old pet dies to fast and you get summoned or mob agro’s you before new pet is out. It is far harder to do effectively.
Last edited by ScottBerta; 03-20-2022 at 08:40 PM..
Old 03-20-2022, 08:44 PM
Large Rat

Oh okay...I see... is it a deal breaker? Like Am I going to be throwing my hands up in the air in frustration? lol. because that sounds kind of like I'm going to need to be real clutch with the resummon in order for the mob to not run me down. Is this a problem in your experience? Ty for the info
Old 03-20-2022, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Probably not a huge deal lower level but as mobs summon it can be. Also if your grouping not as big a deal but if your soloing more problematic. I’d see what other mage players say too.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Firstly, you can chain-summon if you use an earth pet and if it manages to keep its root proc on the target. It's a bit risky.

Secondly, no, mage is perfectly viable and fun and useful without it. Source: do /w all magi 50 60
Old 03-20-2022, 09:29 PM
Large Rat

Cool ty again guys. I'll stick with it then and earth pet it up when needed. i'll probably be grouping at least 50%+ of the time anyway, or at least I intend too lol.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

My mage is level 60 and the only time I've needed to chain pets to kill single mobs was to challenge myself. I chained the allizewsaur, though before the bug.
The best mage xp mobs are ones that your pet can kill with little help, and you get lost or reclaim your pet, kill the mob and get full xp. This is viable all the way to 60, though a bit tougher to find good mobs at 57+

There's a recent video of a mage on blue pet chaining ice burrowers, level 61 mobs. She uses the broken aggro mechanics to her advantage and aggro kites them.
Fun class, would level again.
Last edited by PatChapp; 03-20-2022 at 10:05 PM..
Old 03-20-2022, 10:03 PM
Sarnak

You can use pet commands while casting a new pet if you make social macros for the command and click it from the social page while you are casting.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 03-20-2022, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can no longer or at least I have yet to figure out how to tell a pet to go away while your casting your new pet. Meaning before I could tell my pet to go away 1/2 a second before new pet cast. Now you have to time it so your spell finishes close to pet dying. If you miss time spell and it casts when old pet is still alive you will lose all the mana. Or old pet dies to fast and you get summoned or mob agro’s you before new pet is out. It is far harder to do effectively.
Here's what you do. First, use the earth pet, because the root will help a ton.

Second, go beat down a mob until your pet is maybe 15% (faster-hitting mobs you might want to start at 20%). Then, start casting your pet, and then start typing /pet get lost.

A moment before your summon will be cast, hit enter, killing your old pet. Your new pet arrives and you can immediately send it at the mob. Thanks to the root (that he hopefully has from the old pet) your new pet should have time to take agro from him ... but a bit of running around (with jboots) may be necessary sometimes.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-20-2022 at 10:09 PM..
Old 03-20-2022, 10:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's what you do. First, use the earth pet, because the root will help a ton.

Second, go beat down a mob until your pet is maybe 15% (faster-hitting mobs you might want to start at 20%). Then, start casting your pet, and then start typing /pet get lost.

A moment before your summon will be cast, hit enter, killing your old pet. Your new pet arrives and you can immediately send it at the mob. Thanks to the root (that he hopefully has from the old pet) your new pet should have time to take agro from him, but a bit of running around (with jboots) may be necessary sometimes.
He's getting summoned because all pet agro is dumping onto him, has nothing to do with clicking from socials tab. I had a lot of problems with this in my recent stint camping phinny, people were getting summoned in between pets.