Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

I have serious RSI/tendinitis issues, not just as an EQ gamer but also as a programmer. For me using a mouse/keyboard isn't just necessary to game, it's necessary to pay the bills.

But if you're hurting when you try to use them, it means you've injured your body. You can prevent future injury by having proper ergonomics (go buy a good office chair, adjust it properly, buy a keyboard tray, adjust it properly, consider buying an adjustable desk, etc.). You can also help your current injury by icing it and wearing wrist/arm braces to help support it.

All of those are things you can/should do to help you play EQ without injury ... but first you need to take a break for a bit, just to let your injury heal some.
its just simply twist in the wrist to use the mouse that causes stress, chair, desk, supporting it etc dont make any difference, they dont remove the need to twist my wrist to control the mouse. thanks for the input tho, also ive taken years off of gaming and as soon as i use a mouse the pain returns, its simply mouse use that is the problem. I will look into a steam controller tho
Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM
Kobold

I have been able to play P99 using my PS4 controller using both joy2key for mapping the buttons and DS4Windows to get the touchpad to work the way I want it to.

My experience with it is mostly messing around with a cleric in unrest. But I think playing a monk or something would have felt more comfortable
Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzrelax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been able to play P99 using my PS4 controller using both joy2key for mapping the buttons and DS4Windows to get the touchpad to work the way I want it to.

My experience with it is mostly messing around with a cleric in unrest. But I think playing a monk or something would have felt more comfortable
recently? and thank you this is exactly the kind of response im looking for. I dont have any RSI from using a controller, only a mouse, using a controller is quite comfortable, I just wasnt having luck getting xpadder to work so this could be an alternative
Old 05-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

You mentioned the "wrist twist" that makes a regular mouse difficult - have you tried a vertical mouse?

-Mcoy
Old 05-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobot02 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its just simply twist in the wrist to use the mouse that causes stress, chair, desk, supporting it etc dont make any difference, they dont remove the need to twist my wrist to control the mouse. thanks for the input tho, also ive taken years off of gaming and as soon as i use a mouse the pain returns, its simply mouse use that is the problem. I will look into a steam controller tho
Sure, but if the angles of all your body parts were correct, your mouse usage wouldn't hurt you. It's the fact that your arm is bent, your wrist isn't straight, or whatever else ... in other words, it's your ergonomics (or lack thereof) that are causing the injury.

As others have said, a more ergonomic mouse (vertical, ball, etc.) could help, but checking your posture, arm/wrist position, leg angle, etc. could also. And yes, I understand the pain isn't in your leg, but if your legs (or any other body part) is positioned incorrectly, your body might move other things (incorrectly) to compensate, indirectly causing your injury.

Basically you want things to look like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

What if my repetitive stress injury is mental breakdowns from people repeatedly greifing me and steeling my camps is there a cure for that? Asking for a friend (everyone) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-13-2022, 04:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mentioned the "wrist twist" that makes a regular mouse difficult - have you tried a vertical mouse?

-Mcoy
yes
Old 05-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, but if the angles of all your body parts were correct, your mouse usage wouldn't hurt you. It's the fact that your arm is bent, your wrist isn't straight, or whatever else ... in other words, it's your ergonomics (or lack thereof) that are causing the injury.

As others have said, a more ergonomic mouse (vertical, ball, etc.) could help, but checking your posture, arm/wrist position, leg angle, etc. could also. And yes, I understand the pain isn't in your leg, but if your legs (or any other body part) is positioned incorrectly, your body might move other things (incorrectly) to compensate, indirectly causing your injury.
It still wouldn't work, even if your chair, desk, and monitor were perfectly ergonomic, you would still have to hold the mouse palm down, this causes the radius and ulna (the bones in your forearm) to twist around each other, your tendons that control your fingers (for clicking and mouse wheel) then rub against the bones painfully and wear out over time. Vertical/"ergonomic" mice dont help at all, (at least for me, I have tried about 12+ mouse alternatives including mouse bar, vertical mouse, air mouse, presenter pointer, pen mouse, etc) none of these untwist the bones enough to make a difference. Some solutions I can think of would be to design a mouse that can be held palm up, possibly a steam controller (allthough they are expensive) thanks to a reply to my post, or if the devs would allow software like xpadder (i will give joytokey a try)
Last edited by brobot02; 05-13-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exercise and physical therapy absolutely are solutions to injury from too much computer use.

If your back is hurting you, then you probably need some squats and deadlifts in your life. I'm not saying you need to become a gym nut, but you know, strong muscles keep the body put together. I know some fatties don't like hearing this, but it's just so.
I do workout and I am in decent shape, I can lift heavy things, write, masturbate, do anything with my hand except use a mouse. On another note it looks like joytokey is blocked as well, I can set up wasd movement on the controller but i cant click anything
Old 05-13-2022, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Basically you want things to look like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This guys shitty monitor is too low for him to maintain good posture. Put your displays on piles of books so the middle of the thing is in front of your face not below you.
Lost but not forgotten.