Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

I'm fairly certain that Dragon Bone Bracelet is classic chain fashion, they look like banded on my green monk, not leather.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 06-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what are you saying, the Humans starting stat spread is better overall for a Ranger and the Wood Elf's higher Agility is more or less wasted points?
In this case the human's generally better for Ranger, but by a small enough amount that it's almost unnoticeable in practice. 10 points higher strength and stamina isn't a large difference. The wood elf's agility doesn't go wholly to waste since it increases rate of defense skill-ups and adds a slight chance for enemies to miss in melee combat, but that's definitely a secondary statistic. Don't fret the racial choice too much for this class. There isn't that big a difference between any of them in this case--nothing like the gulf between, say, a dark elf or ogre Warrior. Be sure you follow Tunare if you eventually want the Plane of Growth helm otherwise religion doesn't matter much either.

I looked up the Ranger. Of its 50 bonus points, 10 are automatically placed in stamina and agility, and 5 each into strength and wisdom. Those are the "green" attributes. 20 remain for the player to place freely.

Danth
Old 06-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

I'd say that's true for Wood Elf and Human, but not so for Half Elf. Their starting Wisdom is in the toilet, that's enough of a reason for me not to play a Half Elf for any Wis-based caster or hybrid (though they make the best Bards by far, IMO).

Why Half Elves have such poor Wisdom in general, I'll never know.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

I read someplace that half-elves are supposedly prone to rash or impulsive behavior, reflected by their low wisdom score in-game.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm fairly certain that Dragon Bone Bracelet is classic chain fashion, they look like banded on my green monk, not leather.
Good catch! I checked Lucy to see what happend, and it turns out that item does have a chain fashion ...

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=11606

... but not in every incarnation; there's a "newer version" of it on live with a leather fashion:

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=54772

I've fixed it, but now I have to revise my earlier "99.9%" number. There probably aren't a ton, but there must be a decent number of similar items where A) SOE made a new item with the exact same name, B) the new item had a different fashion category, C) my script took the wrong one.

So now I'd guess only 98ish% accurate? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Well, whatever, I kinda like the wrists to mismatch a bit to make the arms/weapons stand out a bit more. Sentry Bracers seem to have a nice cobalt-blue tint to them, they should go well with Velious Plate on a Wood Elf.

Unless I decide to go for Silver Chitin Wristbands at some point. Looks like they have a golden tint to them, which would still look nice:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

I know many will disagree with me, but I really think that Barbarians should have been a potential race for Rangers. It fits them perfectly. Higher on the Wisdom than the Int, good Str/Sta, two armor sizes, Slam for spell interrupting, and Barbarians tend to have a deep affinity with nature as part of their lore (ala Shaman and Beastlord), so IMO they should have been a potential race for Rangers and possibly even Druids too.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know many will disagree with me, but I really think that Barbarians should have been a potential race for Rangers. It fits them perfectly. Higher on the Wisdom than the Int, good Str/Sta, two armor sizes, Slam for spell interrupting, and Barbarians tend to have a deep affinity with nature as part of their lore (ala Shaman and Beastlord), so IMO they should have been a potential race for Rangers and possibly even Druids too.
IDK: Barbarians are like vikings ... they might be good at dealing with nature (eg. murdering a polar bear), but they're not defenders of nature.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IDK: Barbarians are like vikings ... they might be good at dealing with nature (eg. murdering a polar bear), but they're not defenders of nature.
You can always make an exception based on religion. I can see the odd Barbarian being a worshipper of Tunare.

Nobody will stand by the argument that an Ogre would make a good Int caster, but prior to being cursed after their siege on the Plane of Earth, they were probably the most intelligent (and ruthlessly warmongering) race in the known realms. The potential is there.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
:shrug: Half Elfs should be able to be SKs, shit stats, shit attitude from NPCs, perfect fit. Instead they get Druid & Paladin with gimped wis? Suspect an RP half elf paladin with a severe case of broomstick up the ass on some MUD touched Brad in a nono place.