Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Olympia, WA

To ensure every child 'wins', Washington athletic association removes ball from soccer

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/966237763659/

Quote:
In Olympia, Washington, they're playing a new kind of youth soccer. To address the negative effects of competition, soccer is now being played without a ball. They're calling it 'ball-less soccer.' (An idea that was first launched in Ontario.)

"Here in Olympia we've been looking at how competition impacts youth and it's usually kind of negative, especially if you're on the losing team," said Helen Coyle, head of the Olympia Youth Sports League.

"So last year," she said, "we took away the notion of scoring, which meant there were no winners and there were no losers. But in many ways we felt that it just didn't go far enough. So we've actually taken away the ball."

Keith Shultz is a ball-less soccer coach. It is his job to keep track of where the imaginary ball is.

"Coaching ball-less soccer is very difficult from my perspective because I have to do a lot of imagining," he said.

"Any coach can coach a kid on soccer skills and having fun out there but the real challenge of my job as a coach in ball-less soccer is trying to keep track of where the ball is and coach the kids on how do you keep track of the ball and where is the ball."

If this program is successful, Olympia is considering removing the ball from some basketball leagues as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

Time to remove dragons from EverQuest IMO
Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Kobold

Wait. This isn't real. Is it?

I'm a giant liberal shitflake, but this is just too far. Tell me this is a joke and I'm just really bad at understanding facetiousness.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ket [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm a giant liberal shitflake, but this is just too far. Tell me this is a joke and I'm just really bad at understanding facetiousness.
ur fault unless u voted trump
Old 01-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ket [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

no, it's real. I've a niece who plays soccer and had a match down there couple weeks ago. i don't watch sports and only went one other match, it was still super confused. apparently its not ubiquitous, some places participate and some don't. apparently all on the south end though because my sister hadn't seen a match yet liek if and went off on the ref about how retarded it was. my niece's coach was dumbfounded along with most of her team. the opposing team was having a great time though. apparently it's what they do. Only half of them had complete uniforms too lol. i guess their roster includes a lot more than those who were there. its liek a "show if you wanna have fun!" system. no try-outs, can even get added part way into the season if you wanna play.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Does not surprise me, the level of retardation is extremely high on the west coast of WA.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Kobold

Came to Portland thinking I'd find a beacon of progressiveness. Ain't true. I imagine a bunch of bearded lumbersexuals in a circle with their damn typewriters trying to decide how to implement social equality, realizing the logistics make it impossible. Then some jackass that smells like patchouli is like, "let's just build a shitload of unnecessary crosswalks, let homeless people sleep everywhere legally, and make soccer ball-less, then we can talk about how progressive we are."

No, I didn't vote for Trump, but sometimes my liberal friends piss me off. This is a good example.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I didn't vote for Trump,
cant believe ppl still think this is an acceptable thing to admit in polite company.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Kobold

I won't vote for anyone that can't wear a goddamn tie properly.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does not surprise me, the level of retardation is extremely high on the west coast of WA.
The video is clearly satire/comedy and not serious... If you don't see that I would consider the possibility you might be contributing to retardation levels in your area.
Closed Thread