Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Gear advice/What to upgrade next

Hey guys -

So I started on the server about a week ago and having a blast. Currently a level 15 paladin named Kildoren. I've read some pretty negative things about people's feelings towards grouping with under geared melee and paladins in general, so hopefully that's not the case, but we'll see. I'm having too much fun to reroll.

Went the completely fresh tank route, so it's been a challenge. I was always pretty good at playing the EC tunnel game so I've spent pretty much 100% of my time in EC leveling and trying to flip gear to make some plat. Once I sold enough enough HQ bear skins and various LQ/MQ skins I started taking inventory on the various deepwater/jaundiced bone/cobalt/etc gear on the vendors in EC and Freeport that sold the gear for around 350pp each and auctioned all of them at 400-500pp. When I'd get a buyer I'd just go to that vendor and purchase the gear for an easy profit.

I remember a fair amount about the game and the wiki definitely helps, but there is so much volume of gear selling in the 50pp-150pp range, I'm not sure what direction to go in. Below is my gear listing so I'm just hoping for some advice on where to go next. After buying the Orc Fang Earring I'm stone cold broke and since I've out leveled EC it's time to move on to other zones. Just want to have some kind of plan moving forward.

(Note my first priority is a 2nd ac/hp ring. Pretty unsure after that if I should just save for haste or not worry about haste as a tank right away. etc etc. )

Ears: Orc fang earring/Diamondine Earring
Face: Turquoise Eyepatch
Neck: Orc Fang Necklace
Helm: Kylong War Helm
Back: Cloak of Leaves
Belt: Silvery Girdle
Shoulders: Sebilite Scale Mantle
Arms: Barbed Armplates
Chest: Sarnak Emblazoned Tabard
Wrist: Tar goo strands
Legs: Black Ice Leggings
Hands: Iksar Scaled Gauntlets
Feet: Worked Dragonhorn Boots
Fingers: Plat Fire Wedding Ring/Jagged Band
Weapon: Nathsar Greatsword (briefly had Baton of Faith, but couldn't deal with having a pally use a 2h staff. My gear looks hideous enough but this was too much)

Thoughts about cheap upgrades? Certainly face/back/arms probably are a priority after the 2nd ac/hp ring. I also really want Sword of the Morning/Shield but just not sure I should go in that direction until I fix my armor. Also the DW paladin look has always been one of my favorite looks in the game and the main reason I rolled paladin. Should I be going after the DW gear for the raw AC or are various other stats better? When I buy gear I try to focus on hp atm if funds allow but not sure if that's correct either.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

So quick update on how the evening went. Had a great time with a group in Crushbone from 15-16 camping the wall and pulling slavers as well as some of the throne room. Had a level 55 mage stick with us for a bit keeping a damage shield up and pulling for us. I was probably too high for the area, but was honestly having too much fun to leave. Xp slowed down so we decided to make the trek to Kaladim and turn in belts/pads then head to unrest. At this point the group is 16 paladin (me), 15 wizard, 14 rogue, 14 cleric, 15 druid.

Along the way half the group got lost. I made it to Kaladim, did my turn ins, found the bank, and headed out when the cleric goes "sorry guys, still lost in Gfay." No big deal, he finds his way to Unrest about the same time we all do, so time to get to killing, right?So now the druid is having lag issues, dc's and never makes it back. The rogue eats a death in the Cauldron. But we journey on and have basically the whole yard in Unrest to ourselves.

Eventually our rogue makes it there and we recruit a bard and shadowknight. XP is flowing, great times are had by all. Somewhere along the way we go deep on a conversation about AI and the singularity. You know, normal group chat. I end up almost 2 yellow in to 17 and we all decide it's late as hell and time to log.

For nearly 4 hours I grouped with people I didn't know, had great conversations and continued on the journey to 60. Fuck I love Everquest.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Seems like you're doing pretty good for yourself so far man. I think you have the right idea in going for another HP ring next. After that, I would personally go straight for the Sword of Morning. Weapons at lower levels especially are by far the biggest bang for your buck, even as a Paladin. You may not be a dps class but you still have to swing a weapon to kill stuff. Clay Guardian Shield would be a really nice shield that's relatively inexpensive and can carry you all the way to a Sarnak Battleshield or something in the future. After that I would consider a pair of Crystal Chitin Gauntlets as your next armor upgrade. They are ridiculously good for the price (600p~)

Could make an argument that your hand slot would be best used for the 22% haste gauntlets though. Silver Chitin Handwraps are very common and cheap
Old 08-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Sarnak

weapon and haste will pretty much always be your best bang for your buck early on. However, dont over think it, just have fun playing. Good people will always welcome you, no mater what your gear.

Also, another option would be to camp at Skyfire (though a bit dangerous) and try to grab a:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Halcyon_Broadsword

Don't know if people do gwurms very often these days, but if so, those usually rot. Using that with a shield is pretty nice.

Also you can pick up one of these pretty cheap:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Arbitor%...ine_Greatsword
Old 08-08-2018, 02:32 AM
Planar Protector

Under-geared is relative. You're already well-equipped compared to a lot of teen-level folks, especially in previous expansions where someone that level might be running around in Banded or maybe Bronze if he was lucky.

Nathsar Greatsword serves perfectly well for a fair time Even without haste it will take you into the 30's without issue, and beyond if necessary. Sword of the Morning would allow the use of a shield, but it isn't a damage upgrade otherwise, and the special effect won't work until level 50. If plat's burning a hole in your pocket a HP/AC ring is a good use for it since you'll use those items for a long time. Otherwise start saving towards haste and/or higher-AC armor. Past level 45 you'll want a couple pieces of the Deepwater set (helm and bracer at least), so it doesn't hurt to start planning now.

Danth
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 AM
Fire Giant

That is odd to go through so much effort to TunnelQuest before actually playing the game.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is odd to go through so much effort to TunnelQuest before actually playing the game.
The guy clearly stated he hunted in EC while looking for profitable trades.

Kinda smart for someone starting fresh w/o any outside help imo.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Sarnak

I love that people come flame people about "actually playing the game" as if that has a single defined meaning that only they can adjudicate.

I'm glad the OP is having such a blast on P99, whatever form that enjoyment takes! Welcome!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Hey OP. I was the Druid that disconnected. Thanks for leading me through BB. I always get lost there.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

Not flaming ya pal, I just thought it was an odd way to begin! Whatever works for ya though.
Closed Thread