Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Default a skulking brute: should Con Scowling but not Attack/Assist

The Summary:
  1. a skulking brute should behave exactly like caimans (con scowling, but not attack or assist)
  2. There should only be 5 static spawn points in the cave near Crypt of Dalnir (no wanderers should be present)
There are lots of other mentions on loot table if you want to audit it (I did not do this myself on P99, just a single pass through). But should be dropping 2pp at the top end of the money scale, gems like topaz and pearls, research components, and Brute hides (including HQ). Also mentions a specific 15min spawn, not sure what we have.

I didn't realize until making this post, but apparently there is another area near the LoIO zone line in this zone with 2 different rooms of 3 brutes each. I didn't see that mentioned at all earlier in comments, didn't check it out on P99. But if it's here (and wasn't some out of era add in cave / zone line) and contains these same creatures, I would assume they should be identical.

The Evidence:
Plenty of info on the con message, apparently these guys changed out of era (mid-2002) and for whatever reason changed to be aggressive / social. I am pretty sure that the wanderers in the cave did not exist pre-agro change patch (perhaps it was a reward, increase number of spawns but make them aggressive?). I did not see mention of them prior to patch, and one specific mention that they weren't in there.

Aggro Mentions:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=1#comments
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=2#comments
Quote:
Jul 31 2000
They are blue to me and ready to attack and never have. I think dubious or indiffernt is more likely... a bad con.
Quote:
Jul 09 2001
I agree wholeheartedly. These guys all con "ready to attack" but NEVER do. I walked right up to one and took a screenshot. Then again, the sabertooths in LOIO are always "ready" but they as well never do. Hmmmm. Why give a mob that type of con when it's completely off the mark?
Quote:
Mar 16 2001
The good news is that sulking brutes NEVER help each other. You can
pull singles without worrying about their friends joining in.
Quote:
Jan 06 2002
These brutes are very good exp all the way to Level 35. I started hunting them when I learned about them and the best thing is that they do not aggro nor assist each other. I
Quote:
May 25 2002
there is enough room in the chambers in the tunnel to dalnir to kite these as a druid, just run laps around the oval shaped room that they spawn in and nuke at each end. excellent exp off of these until about 30 after that id go hunt elsewhere....maybe golras

update: since these were made to aggro im fairly certain that method this will no longer work.
Quote:
Jul 18 2002
ALSO, they have changed in a recent patch, they WILL aggro you now, doesn't seem to happen very often, you have to get really close for it to happen but did happen two or three times in the past couple days.
Total number of spawn point evidence:
Here they specifically mention no wanderers and confirming non-agro. Note that above alla comments didn't mention wanderers pre-agro patch:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030402...s=3&start=1750

Quote:
The caves in Warsliks Wood leading to Dalnirs crypt is home to 5 hulking brute spawns. They are always nonaggro and the caves are clean of wandering monsters. Combined with a packful of bandages and Instill Doubt this is xp heaven for me. Loot is "ok" at around 2pp with a gem/rune/word thrown in occasionally.
Basically, there should be 2 static spawns in the cave closest to Dalnir zone line, and the side cave should have 3 static spawns. I believe P99 currently has 8 (and I did verify they are all aggressive). Mentions here (comments from above alla comments on skulking brute page):
Quote:
Oct 02 2000
There are 5 spawns near the entrance to Dalnir,
Quote:
Mar 16 2001
Sulking brutes spawn in two rooms in the tunnels to Dalnir in Warsilisk Woods
The first spawn point is at the room to the Dalnir entrance. 2 brutes spawn here. The second spawn point is in the furthest south room in the tunnels where 3 brutes spawn.
Quote:
Jan 06 2002
In the tunnels Leading to the Crypt of Dalnir there are 2 locations. One tunnel with three and one with two.
Note that next comment is after the agro patch, but still no roamer mention.
Quote:
Jul 16 2002
There are TWO rooms of Brutes, I usually only camp the 2 spawn, tried the 3 spawn a couple times
Here is first mention below of roamers, indicates that there was a fix to the agro radius of them, so perhaps this is when they did get added in.
Quote:
Jan 06 2004
Ok so these guys do Aggro now if you get VERY close to them and they do not add in unless you practically run them over. I did this place with a lv 20 Beastlord and a 14 cleric and we had no problem. Pull to the far side of the room and clear the wanderers first and you should have no worries. They do run at 20% so once you learn the path they flee on then you are golden. Should anything go wrong Dalnir's is a hop skip away. Two rooms with 3 in one and 2 in the other and 2 wanderers. Good Hunting
Sorry for all the in depth after era stuff, figured maybe TakP or something may browse here for bug reports, so maybe it is of interest to them.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Just posting additional source, early 2002, confirming timer and number of spawns and agro behavior:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...bf1d60874573ac
Quote:
In the NW corner of WW, there is the entrance to Dalnir. When you head down the hallway you come to a fork. To the left, dead end, ignore, move on. Straight, you also come to a dead end, but there are a few brutes waiting for you (3 to be exact). Each brute should be easily solo'able for you. They will not attack unless attacked and do not aggro their neighbors, even when running. Get a timer out. Kill one every 3 minutes (inclusive of fighting time) then leave the room the way you came. When back at the fork, turn left (which would have been to the right if coming in) and you are now at a room with 2 brutes (and a fake pool that is the entrance to Dalnir). Same thing here, kill em both, 3 minutes apart. The timing gives you enough time to heal up between fights but also staggers the spawn out so you can do this continuously. I found that the brutes were almost never camped and gave me real good exp through 31 and into 32 (you could probably stay here to 33, but it would slow down some).
Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Developer

I changed them to be non-aggressive. I improved their loot and removed the wanderers.

I also made sure that all levels of brutes had the same chance to spawn in all those locations.

I did not change the respawn rates yet until I get a better idea of what the entire zone should be.

Fixed, pending update.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 PM
Planar Protector

Some mentions of spawn timers in warsliks woods:
6 mins @ bandit camp
NOTE: mentions Iksar Bandit Lord can spawn in all 3 places at the ruins, I believe P99 is only in one position? could be wrong, plenty of comments on the page.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...7&p=3#comments
Quote:
Aug 18 2000
He spawns in some ruins at a T in the paths at approx 0, 2500. There are three place holders that can spawn him in that ruin. Pariahs and Exiles also spawn there and the spawn rate is about 6 min.
15 mins @ Grachnist Goblin camp (all goblins):
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=6#comments
Quote:
Dec 06 2000
there are about 40 goblins in the camp in WW, so about 2 spawn per clearing on about a 15 minute spawn
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=5#comments
Quote:
Nov 10 2001
The respawn here is 15 minutes, which makes this camp atleast entertaining, ripping the faces off low lvl goblins is MY idea of fun. Plus you get sweet sweet FV faction.
Quote:
Sep 09 2001
Leaving the DOB room alone I could do a circuit of the camp in around 12 mins which is about bang on the repop timer,
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=4#comments
Quote:
Oct 01 2001
Spawn time seems to be about 10 or 15 minutes. Seems like by the time I finish clearing the fort, it's spawning again.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=3#comments
Quote:
Jun 14 2002
Killed him about 15 times last night. Very random in the fort. No more then 15 minutes between spawns but a few times I had 2 up at once.
I've had bad luck researching the forest giant camp timer, but my gut would tell me same as the goblin camp. Will need to look deeper into that later.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Planar Protector

Forest giants = 15 min spawns
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...2&p=2#comments
Quote:
Sep 03 2001
If you have never been inside the giant fort then be very wary of soloing the sapling below level 25, since I had been there before with my mage and knew where the sapling spawned I was able to work my way into the fort without aggroing any of the red giants and found myself a nice spot next to the sapling's hut to pull to. The two major problems were staying away from the fairly close wanderers and keeping the sapling under darkness so he wouldn't flee towards his tougher friends. He was a 15 minute spawn and I killed him 4 times and the drops were misscribed gate, random wizard rune, misscribed gate again and then misscribed lifetap.
Anything else you need Mr. Telin? I would assume all 'lowbie' mobs are on 6 min timers (such as bandits and cab yard trash), and everything else 15 mins.