Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-12-2024, 05:45 PM
Large Bat

Default Advice for a new duo

I'm new to P99 (and EQ in general). I've got a level 10 enchanter human in Qeynos doing Blackburrow and am going to start a new guy with my brother as an introduction to the game. I'd like to show him as much of it as I can early on.

I'm thinking we're going to play as a Shaman/SK troll duo and do some stuff in the swamps and hopefully some low-level stuff in Upper Guk, but I've never been to any of those places.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for getting a taste of open-world exploring and dungeon crawling for new players? What level would we need to be to at least start the first few rooms of Guk?
Old 01-12-2024, 06:55 PM
Aviak

Make something more fun for exploring. Iskar Sham + nIskar necro could be fun if you don't mind sneaking around.

A druid and enchanter combo would be awesome and my vote.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:20 PM
Large Bat

What about our duo would be less fun for exploring? I haven't gone far so I don't know. I figured we'd be in good shape with the shaman for SoW so we could move quickly. What else should I be looking for?

I saw a lot of enchanter combo recommendations but I want to avoid that class in particular since it's the only one I've already got.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:26 AM
Fire Giant

That is a pretty reasonable plan, yes. Around 8? you should be able to do entrance mobs. Upper guk is a great dungeon.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:38 PM
Large Bat

Okay thanks! We'll give it a shot. I'm trying out the warrens now with my enchanter and that seems interesting, but I don't think we want to do the erudite classes. Human night-blindness might turn him away before he gets started.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

enc + shaman is better than SK + shaman
Old 01-15-2024, 01:35 PM
Aviak

Shaman necro very fun too with regen to compensate the health loss.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjenson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman necro very fun too with regen to compensate the health loss.
even druid / necro is a solid duo...certainly not A-tier but if hes brand new to the game and wants to conveniently see the world and XP in lots of different places it can certainly get the job done

then you guys will always have a druid for a port bot and a CR bot in the necro...just make sure you make 1 account for every char!
Old 01-15-2024, 08:28 PM
Kobold

Druid is the ultimate mobility for ports. I personally preferred Druid/Necro. Druid/Enchanter was also good, but I don't care for the Enchanter class, it annoys me.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Plus you can basically keep the druid / necro / etc in rags and farm to gear the SK at level 1 which would make for a much more enjoyable experience.

They'll have some zone / mechanical knowledge at that point too. SK + Shaman in rags with no game knowledge could prove to be a little tricky.

Even if they don't take the first duo of caster alts too far, having the funds for basic haste / HP gear / weapon and enough leftover plat to pre-purchase canni II would help tremendously.

And they'll have a port bot ready to go.
Last edited by Toxigen; 01-16-2024 at 11:58 AM..