Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Fire Giant

I have not been very active recently but my main is a 60 druid, and I think the money has dropped off from what it was in the past. I noticed that once I hit 60 people gave me noticeably less money and stiffed me regularly, when I was lower level that rarely happened. I also noticed a dropoff in porting profits about 8m-1 year after velious dropped, which I assume was related to many old rich players retiring.

The best way to make money porting that I found was to avoid any areas with low level players. Let dap handle that business, the independent porter should be bound in KC, OT ramp/hammer hill, ToV, or possibly the EC tunnel. Succoring through SG is also good money but collect up front, people love to stiff on that route and there is a small but real chance you can die on every trip.

Sow is very little mana, I cast it on people who havent even asked for it, its got huge utility and should be cast for free. POTG however is a *huge* waste of time to cast on people unless they pay you significantly. POTG should be a much larger tip than a port; it costs 1200 mana and far fewer people can cast it.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:14 AM
Fire Giant

My druid is one of my least geared char - never spent a DKP on him, don't go out of my way to funnel plat towards his gear but he has gotten some scraps of gear and finished the druid epic. He has earned the most plat for me out of all my chars.

It's all what you have fun doing - I could earn plat on my better geared chars but druid isn't too gear dependent and is a good solo class. Can do random shit like port, PL people, charm kill in some scenarios, can track shit so good for finding shit, questing and getting around to check for certain mobs and are money makers too. A porting class is easier to use for your needs/farming because you don't have to take extra time to get anywhere and then it lets me leave my other characters parked out for raid targets or grouping/XP spots/whatever.

Porting itself is good plat and sort of mindless but I never really did it for plat, just would do it if someone happened to need and I was available. Eventually you'll get to a tier of gear where your upgrades are pretty expensive and you don't want to farm 1k an hour to build up for that 100k item. At least that's my opinion I'd rather work towards upgrades through raiding, or taking shots at rare/more valuable loot.

That being said I'm not super rich and only have some decent plat b/c I've been on the server for so long. There's plenty of other classes that are way richer than I am. Shaman, Enchanters, Necro are huge solo money makers - monks, clerics, warriors, rogues, all can make great money grouping. Any class has options for plat farming, there's a million ways to earn money - do what you like.
Last edited by mefdinkins; 04-14-2018 at 01:17 AM..
Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
honestly dap sounds like it's bad for your soul

wishing you well
I guess it just comes down to preference? I'd rather make money helping people get where they need to go and occasionally making friends along the way than staring at the same "cash camp" for 8 hours.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivera [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DAP leadership is toxic

and porting around people all day for minimal plat gains is definitely very unhealthy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haters still hatin. How long you been holding that grudge bro.

DaP is stronger than ever as of last week were 1612 and growing more each day since. As any member of DaP will attest we are more healthy than we have ever been.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Don't port for plat.

Just go solo some camps. This will make you a better druid as well by learning the limits of your class.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Ported up about 100k during the early days of Dial a Port.

After all that time porting with my Dial a Port tag up I can say that you're better off /anon at SF ramp if you want more plat. Dunno how it is now a days but back then people would hardly make the effort to come to a druid ring and expect you to go to remote places like Lake of Ill omen for 15pp.

Many times people would ask you to come to KC for a port/EJ and as you were about to make it there they would send you a tell saying 'nm got another port'. Fucking rage inducing. I learned very quickly to never respond to a blank "hello" as those were always the fuck you ports.

At the end of the day the plat isn't super crazy. You'll have your lucky days of generous tippers, but those days are evened out with the slow days. It's a reliable income, people will always need ports. Obviously get a movie/podcast/something to watch while porting.

A few helpful things I've learned over that time of porting is this.

If you're wanting a port
  • Send 1 tell with all the info that is short and easy to read, example /tell Treeitek "WC -> DL (amount of plat)?" (We are sometimes flooded with tells)
  • Make an effort to be at the druid/wizard rings or close by.
  • Most of us port for plat, that doesn't mean shower us with plat, but don't expect us to make a trip to you if it's not worth it. I could run 3 zones over for a low payout or I can sit at SF Ramp and make much more.
  • If you ask someone for a port stick with that porter. Don't send multiple tells to everyone on the /who list. It's fucking annoying.

For DaP
  • During my brief time back this year, I noticed that some of you do not SoW unless asked. SoW should always come with a port. I can't believe I had to ask, specially after giving 50pp.
  • Be smart, if you're porting someone to DL also give them a levitate. Keep a good stock of bat wings with you.
  • Also be mindful of KoS people when porting to NK/WC/ect... Invis them.
  • If you need to med up go /anon. Don't let tells back up and have people wait forever as you get your mana back. It makes DaP look bad and you'll end up getting less tells in the long run as people will notice you as a slow porter. During my time back I had this happen to me multiple times, sometimes waiting 15min+. At the very least let them know you're LoM and it will take a while, or that you wont mind if they ask someone else.
  • Port assholes to Toxx

I also never kept track of how much plat I made an hour as it always varied. It's dumb to advertise porting as plat per hour.
Last edited by Bboboo; 04-14-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Port assholes to Toxx
That's kind of genius. I want to start doing then, and then /tell DAP members that the guy doesn't tip.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxplay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My druid is in DaP, although I rarely if ever port just to make plat. When I do it's usually only for a short time, maybe make a quick few hundred plat and then check on other things I can do

That being said druid is the ultimate errand boy to have. (I mean this in a good way). They travel fast, are good soloing *nowhere near enc shm or necro* but still very good, have good enough tracking to find annoying mobs, can power noobies 1 - 15 with just buffs. And if you have the will to get 60 ppl always want PotG, I've had ppl pay me 100+ plat just to cast it on them when I was just standing in the tunnel not even advertising before.

Are they the best at making plat? No... ec fatcat is the best class for that.... Actually playing the game I'd say enc and shm. But porting is lazy mode plat
I thought the druid was your girlfriend's character? So you were in fact boxing in WL? tsk tsk.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't port for plat.

Just go solo some camps. This will make you a better druid as well by learning the limits of your class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Banned

Take screenshots of everyone who stiffs you, or is a dick. Be really vindictive about it. Compile evidence of people slighting you and then post massive RNF threads targeting p99 somebodys.

I will personally donate to this cause
Closed Thread