Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to travel for a living and can vouch that with hotel internet I could browse the net and could not figure out why I couldn't access FFXIV servers, a VPN solved the problem. I have no idea why but it fixed my issue. I don't see how a VPN would be against server policy, masking your IP address shouldn't be an issue since they could tell you're boxing(on the same machine at least) by your MAC address.

Would love some GM input on this, idk why this hasn't been clarified by now
The hotel was blocking FFXIV and probably every other major gaming gateway at the firewall due to high bandwidth consumption. Going through a tunnel effectively changes the visibility of your traffic and they would have to use different means to block you. I don't think that's common practice of the larger chains any longer, but as I understood it they would block gaming servers from the "kids" to allow the adults better bandwidth. Aka, better pron streams...
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't listen to this 99.9% sure these friends of his were boxing. Also "my girlfriend is logging on" is very truthfull statement.
Wow still sour about the Flawless Victory days Ivah? get over it that was 3 years ago buddy. At least my guild leader didn't get banned for mass RMT which is far worse than boxing XD.

VPN's can be considered a 3rd party program and you can be banned for it, my friend who doesn't box just had his character suspended for 30 days because of using a VPN.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
VPN's can be considered a 3rd party program and you can be banned for it, my friend who doesn't box just had his character suspended for 30 days because of using a VPN.
cool my friend's dog's mom's owner's cousin's senator said that he got banned for eating a donut.

What was your friends name?

the donut was named jim.

On topic: They implemented a system that tries to detect VPNs and refuse connection to deter boxing.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 AM
Server GM

Using a VPN is fine, just don't box. I've never suspended someone for simply using a VPN. When we suspend a player for boxing we are always 100% sure by either testing or logs.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Planar Protector

If they've got their 'A game' on they're going to catch you boxing with a VPN, I really wouldn't recommend testing it out.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He has some sort of program for VPN's have had friends get suspended just for using it because it can look like you are boxing. since a VPN is a third party program that changes your IP address. Upon logging in it says no 3rd party programs are allowed while playing p99, Just warning you.
Nope.VPN
Closed Thread