Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-10-2022, 12:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Knights do plenty of tanking in raiding though. Warriors tank TOV dragons / vindi and whatnot but basically everything else is tanked by knights. Depending on the content your guild is doing, you're more likely to tank more things as a knight unless your guild is at the absolute tip top of content. And if your guild is there, or a zerg guild, you probably won't be tanking much either way.
Yea for sure. The OP just mentioned not being up for raiding. I’ve tanked a lot of content whether initially intended or not. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

I love the warrior class. It’s definitely dynamic and a workhorse. Knights are just unflappable. A few aggro and utility spells and you can do great things, especially with the lvl 60 disc.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Knights do plenty of tanking in raiding though. Warriors tank TOV dragons / vindi and whatnot but basically everything else is tanked by knights. Depending on the content your guild is doing, you're more likely to tank more things as a knight unless your guild is at the absolute tip top of content. And if your guild is there, or a zerg guild, you probably won't be tanking much either way.
Yea for sure; that is a good call-out besides a select few mobs knights tank a lot of raid targets. The OP just mentioned not being up for raiding. I’ve tanked a lot of content whether initially intended or not. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

I love the warrior class. It’s definitely dynamic and a workhorse. Knights are just unflappable. A few aggro and utility spells and you can do great things, especially with the lvl 60 disc.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

Thanks everyone. This has all been useful.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:30 AM
Kobold

if u have to ask, start a rogue cuz ur ultra maga! https://youtu.be/WeZKzRiU-LE
Old 11-13-2022, 12:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But, still dwarf strength will help especially with Reaver and critical / crippling. And dwarf stamina much better, too.
30 strength isn't going to be a noticeable damage boost except maybe at high levels, and by then you have options (like huge shaman buffs) to get near the strength cap anyway.

Don't think anyone has parsed the value of strength, but it's not really significant until higher levels.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:17 PM
Fire Giant

Very late to the party here but I feel like a pally would be more fun to level. More CC, lull, heals would be great, and good agro if you group.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:41 PM
Sarnak

Gnome armor gives +30 dex and +30 str that stacks with nearly everything, the haste is amazing. You get to the point you can do non-standard groups like pet groups and other fun options.

Paladins are also a bunch of fun for reasons already covered.
Last edited by Damarous; 11-13-2022 at 11:57 PM..
Old 11-14-2022, 07:19 AM
Planar Protector

Something no one ever mentions is warriors get an innate magic resistance boost, which scales with level.

They are very effective at shrugging off curses such as slows compared to the other tanks.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

I made a twink gnome warrior and it was a lot of fun to level. You have most all of the important twink gear already acquired it looks like. Gnome cultural armor is awesome. While the 30 strength buff may not be massive, its cheap and worth something. What actually is more important is the 40% clicky haste and 30 dexterity buff once you are in your 50s so you can improve your proc rate (truncheon of doom + 2 blood points while evasive is rolling is amazing, for example).

Paladins do have better snap agro, they can pacify, invis, add in some heals, root, can smoke undead, etc. However, if you get a few more twink items to expand the warriors toolbox like an infestation, silken whip of ensnaring, journeyman walking stick, truncheon of doom, and bloodpoints x2, I think the gnome warrior will be more fun. The Reaver will carry you for a while, but the true fun in a warrior is all the clickies and weapon swaps for procs.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

This game is a balance of mathematical superiority vs flexibility. The pure classes are always “better” where as the less focused ones typically have extra tools in their utility belts.

The biggest struggle a warrior will face is how to tackle multiple problems at once. Tanking one thing is easy, you have to trust people to do their jobs (healing, cc etc). The biggest struggle a paladin (or sk) will face is knowing they aren’t the “best” at taking hits or returning them. It’s not a real issue for most of content but is a slice of humble pie.

I equate it to a necro vs mage in a group situation. Mages get a lot of hate but if grinding blues in a group they are just better unless the necro is charming. Higher dps pets, higher burst spells, a DS that adds consistent damage, coth for ease of replacing team members who leave, etc. When crap goes sideways the necro is what you really want; their kit is MASSIVE. Like a paladin they can even rez in a pinch. You can’t always find a cleric and that shouldn’t have to stop an adventure in its tracks. In fact the paladin HoT and necro HoT stack. I trioed Uulump with ease adding in the 57 Druid.

Note: the Mage/Necro thing is just a metaphor and not intending to sidetrack the thread. While I do like the mage class I’m not that delusional to need convincing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . Also I still think the warrior class is extremely fun to play. Just a matter of preference, maybe one of each even!
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-14-2022 at 11:55 AM..