Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Orc

Default Should I re-roll my warrior?

Hi all,

I'm currently a 40 Ogre warrior. I had originally chosen ogre due to them being the "min/max" race. I am, however, having second thoughts and am really disliking the appearance and size of them as well as being a run of the mill race/class combo.

I was thinking of re-rolling a Rallos Zek Halfling w/ all DEX at character creation. I think that they look cooler in addition to the other convenience features they have. Also, as Rallos, I think I'm able to get into some "evil" areas without becoming KOS to the friendlies. Most of the deficits, such as the lower stats and bash, should eventually be corrected with velious gear and level 55 stunning kick.

My primary concern is the loss of frontal stun immunity. Ultimately, I want to be an end game primary raid tank and am worried that losing this racial will screw me over. I understand that it's personal preference, but am trying to get other opinions (preferably from end game non-ogre warriors). Do you think that it's worth me re-rolling and losing this feature to pick a race that I enjoy more? My current gear/magelo is below using Halfling as a template.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Hadur

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Frontal Stun Immunity is not required to be a main tank.

Ogres do have the best stats. The size can be overcome with a Cobalt Bracer (shrink click) indoors and Ant Potions (20pp per charge shrink potions) outdoors. Also an AoN (skeleton illusion) fixes the looks issue if you intend to be a really high end tank with a lot of coin.

The top geared main tank in Rampage and Forsaken, the two most hardcore of guilds, are Dwarf/Half Elf I'm fairly sure - (Correct me if I'm wrong, Rampage may have geared out someone else that I'm not aware of.)

Warrior race really doesn't matter at the high end. Frontal stun immunity is a joke of an ability for a warrior, your aggro is just fine when eating 2-3second bash stuns. In fact the more you're stunned the less you can get yourself riposted on. Something more useful would be Iksar AC or Half Elf Charisma (Divine Intervention triggers). Troll regen has a slight benefit but not much at high end tanking. Everyone else's racial is rather useless. Warriors really shouldn't need to hide or sneak, you've got other classes more suited for those things or Invis clickies at the high end.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

In my opinion, there are only two warrior racials worth having for endgame raiding: stun immunity and the Iksar AC bonus. Stun immunity increases your threat by 6% or so vs raid targets, which is actually rather useful in Velious where fights last more than 20 seconds. Even in Kunark it can be useful. I remember 'tanking' Xygoz on Sakuragi; immediately after the first mallet charge he bashed me for two seconds. It also helps you position the mob a bit more easily.

TLDR: It's useful but hardly required. You have to decide whether you'd rather have a good looking toon or one 5% better. Personally I loathe the ogre model which is why I went Iksar.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frontal stun immunity is a joke of an ability for a warrior, your aggro is just fine when eating 2-3second bash stuns. In fact the more you're stunned the less you can get yourself riposted on.
What kind of statement is that? Looking for the silver lining?

I didn't know you were an expert on warriors, what level is yours?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Banned

I have been a main raid tank of BDA for over a year.halflings are great. The winner of kunark botb was a hfl war named Eabon and he was a main tank for TMO. The thing keeping you from being number one main tank wi be competing with all the other, more tenured warriors who have raided in their guild for years. Just dedicate your life to p99 and you will achieve what you desire. Good luck padawan
Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Play what brings you joy. I get my rocks off RPing a halfling badass and executing a clutch sneak tag once in a blue moon. Some ppl love iksars. This is a game for your personal kicks. Not your investment portfolio
Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Planar Protector

There is no doubt that ogres are the best

There is no doubt that really it is a game and as has been noted, many of primary raiding tanks are not ogres.

Personally I'd say stick with ogre and enjoy the evil zones in the game that you maybe didn't get to experience on live when you were dumb and were a woodelf rallos zek warrior with maximum wisdom like I was.

Mainly though, 1-40 is a lot of time / played just to throw away. If you re-roll do an enchy or something different.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Sarnak

Go Gnome.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly, if you don't like the way your Ogre looks, then yeah. I'd definitely reroll.

I wouldn't want to be sinking even more time into playing a character that I don't even think looks good.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Not enough value given to sneak in this thread. Halflings are indeed the master warrior race because of sneak. Only draw back is the permanently encumbered status.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Closed Thread