Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks for all races
There was an early guide, I think it might have even been in the original launch prima guide (I have that useless paperweight in a box somewhere), that talked about the sleeper benefits of uncommon race/class combos- the example given was how even though ogres usually don’t make good rogues, their super high STR gives incredible backstab damage.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea! No need for new continents when we have great spots for new zones: ORC HIGHWAY the very treacherous path that kills many mortal men, but is the fastest rout to the karanas....
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am taken with this concept. I envision a box canyon that begins at the northeast corner of South Karana so that the river can flow into it. As you swim into the canyon, the river quickly tapers and a sandy beach lines alternating sides. Encampments of Dervishes block your progress, forcing you to choose between the crocodiles in the now-shallow river or clearing the camps to proceed. Eventually you reach the head of the canyon, where the river, now reduced to a stream, flows into a shallow cavern that it has worn under a capstone--the very same stone you see as the wadi of Orc Highway. To the side, a narrow path has been worn into the stone to allow access to the Oasis, which is fed by the underground river. Spelunkers beware! The cavern is a dungeon housing a sept of Dervishes, led by a desert madman . . .

I see this canyon as an alternate progression route from the orcs and caimans of the Oasis to the aviaks and centaurs of South Karana. I would therefore spawn the Dervish camps as 18-20 and the crocodiles as perhaps 22, to encourage a slower clearing progression through the canyon. High levels may of course Levitate down the river to keep from training any intrepid adventuring parties. At least one of each Dervish camp should be a rooting Wizard, who account for the desert madmen of the wastes to the east.

I agree with Gatmanno that the classic feel must be kept, so I would reuse textures wherever possible. The Ros and Oasis wall textures should suit the walls of the box canyon well enough. I chose Dervishes for the same reason. The dungeon I haven't fleshed out as well yet. I enjoy Maraudon and Wailing Caverns quite a lot so I would probably aim for Guk's seeping wall textures with moss although I'm not sure how I would make the walls imitate smoothed waterbores rather than Guk's crude shafts. I could see the main stream body wending through and under the dungeon's overlap of tunnels bored by high water, where the Dervishes and their blue-eyed master lurk.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Fire Giant

I love your river-cavern system connecting Karanas with Orc Highway idea. Sounds great! But I think engineering that with only existing zone files and geometry would make it near-impossible. I guess the short answer is we know little about the mechanisms and abilities the devs might (not) be able to use to make this stuff.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am taken with this concept. I envision a box canyon that begins at the northeast corner of South Karana so that the river can flow into it. As you swim into the canyon, the river quickly tapers and a sandy beach lines alternating sides. Encampments of Dervishes block your progress, forcing you to choose between the crocodiles in the now-shallow river or clearing the camps to proceed. Eventually you reach the head of the canyon, where the river, now reduced to a stream, flows into a shallow cavern that it has worn under a capstone--the very same stone you see as the wadi of Orc Highway. To the side, a narrow path has been worn into the stone to allow access to the Oasis, which is fed by the underground river. Spelunkers beware! The cavern is a dungeon housing a sept of Dervishes, led by a desert madman . . .

I see this canyon as an alternate progression route from the orcs and caimans of the Oasis to the aviaks and centaurs of South Karana. I would therefore spawn the Dervish camps as 18-20 and the crocodiles as perhaps 22, to encourage a slower clearing progression through the canyon. High levels may of course Levitate down the river to keep from training any intrepid adventuring parties. At least one of each Dervish camp should be a rooting Wizard, who account for the desert madmen of the wastes to the east.

I agree with Gatmanno that the classic feel must be kept, so I would reuse textures wherever possible. The Ros and Oasis wall textures should suit the walls of the box canyon well enough. I chose Dervishes for the same reason. The dungeon I haven't fleshed out as well yet. I enjoy Maraudon and Wailing Caverns quite a lot so I would probably aim for Guk's seeping wall textures with moss although I'm not sure how I would make the walls imitate smoothed waterbores rather than Guk's crude shafts. I could see the main stream body wending through and under the dungeon's overlap of tunnels bored by high water, where the Dervishes and their blue-eyed master lurk.
DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?

Old 10-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you have the causality backwards though. people aren't rejecting post-Velious because "classicness" is an intrinsic good. there's no cult at work. people are rejecting post-Velious because it's a worse game with worse graphics,
It is both objectively harder to play and be good at current EverQuest compared to anything on p99, Blue or Green, and the graphics are also objectively better.

It's when people like you say things like this, that it undermines all the things you like to think are true about this game you really like.

Not liking what came after is fine, but don't put your opinion as fact.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But I think engineering that with only existing zone files and geometry would make it near-impossible. I guess the short answer is we know little about the mechanisms and abilities the devs might (not) be able to use to make this stuff.
Thank you. I poked around this afternoon to see how EQEmu does it and did some scouting around SK and the Ro deserts; the zone itself seems feasible but I wouldn't know how zone interconnects work. Graphically, the existing zones wouldn't need modification other than zone lines. In any event, I imagine the agreement with Daybreak Games is the controlling authority on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?
http://i.imgur.com/r8XNZ.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58HHHWjkjY

Came across this mockup of early Splitpaw, in case you haven't seen it. In Part 2, Zixx strolls down and wipes him, which is getting off lightly for anyone who thinks boxing is interesting.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In any event, I imagine the agreement with Daybreak Games is the controlling authority on the subject.
While no one (except R&N and Daybreak) knows the details of that agreement, the staff has talked about custom content on Blue both before and after said agreement.

That at least strongly implies that it won't in any way interfere.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That at least strongly implies that it won't in any way interfere.
True! However that may come with caveats, such as the custom content cannot use original art (textures) or models, which would render this particular idea moot.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
True! However that may come with caveats, such as the custom content cannot use original art (textures) or models, which would render this particular idea moot.
Good point ... but again, the kind of custom content discussed in the past definitely included re-using stuff from other expansions. I actually was confused by this, because one of the devs said something about how they didn't want to recreate existing zones ... but they meant re-creating them the way they were on live.

Later on another dev clarified that making entirely new textures and such was way beyond what anyone here wanted to do. So while I'm not sure any of those conversations happened after the Daybreak agreement (in fact, IIRC they all happened before) ... the staff has never said anything to give even the slightest indication that custom content (using existing files) was impacted after the agreement.

Ultimately we just have to wait and see, and since the focus is on Green right now we'll likely be waiting awhile.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:31 AM
Large Bat

Revamp and add style to the visuals of many of the classes. For example, every shaman race gets a unique bear form. However, all races of necromancer get the same boring lich forms.

Perhaps keep the lower level lich forms of a skeletal variety - but there are so many size and race accurate skeleton models already in the game that could be more accurately applied here:
Gnome (small) skeleton for gnome necromancers.
Male and female specific iksar skeleton models for iksar necromancers.
Human & Erudites have your standard sized skeleton lich form.
Dark Elf would have a slightly smaller skeleton form.

As a necromancer levels up and unlocks higher level lich spells, the visuals could evolve:
Male erudite: http://wiki.project1999.com/A_fading_erudite_apparition
Female erudite: http://wiki.project1999.com/A_spirit_of_the_old_city
Dark Elf Male: https://wiki.project1999.com/An_enraged_vampire (or spirit type similar to erudite)
Dark Elf Female: https://wiki.project1999.com/A_soul_temptress (or spirit type similar to erudite)
Iksar Male: https://wiki.project1999.com/Lord_Rak%60Ashiir
Iksar Female: I'm sure there is a female version somewhere in the game.
Gnome Male: https://wiki.project1999.com/CWG_Model_XC
Gnome Female: https://wiki.project1999.com/CWG_Model_XB
Human male / female: a spirit form similar to that of the erudites.

Also, there are SO many badass undead NPCs in the game that it makes no sense for necromancers to not acquire different pet types as they level up:
festering hag, mummy, zombie, ghoul, jack o lantern, iksar skeletons, undead frogloks, sarnak skeletons, etc...

All have such unique animations, sound effects, and best of all are already in the game (classic).
Closed Thread