Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

I'm a STR guy personally.
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 04-09-2021, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Everyone's goal and playstyle is different but here is my condensed background and opinion:

I made a High Elf paladin and put all my points into stam and have never regretted it. I leveled him to 60 during kunark. I played pretty hardcore for a while during the first year of Velious and got to about 6400 hpts 1600+AC fully raid buffed before probably any other Paladin would have broken the 6K hpt mark. As a melee you want to be able to do some damage but as a Paladin that isn't your main focus. There's also a lot of strength gear later on. My Paladin is almost strength capped unbuffed and his base strength is 65. At lower lvls a small amount of strength probably won't help you out as much as those extra hpts.

I tanked almost everything for it's entirety or a significant time in the raid scene besides AoW, Tunare, Vulak, and Vyemm (though I tanked him for like 30-40 seconds but don't really count it because I was the last tank standing and he happened to die before I did... there's probably a similar Vulak incident but this is getting too in the weeds.) I tanked KT, Dain, Zlandi, Yeli, the other NToV dragons, etc... this was all doable at one point or another because pulls used to come in faster and we may not have had warriors, or they died, or later on we had just killed things a bunch and were having fun.

I don't play much these days but I spend time soloing some of the easier camps in seb, chardok, and trying a out a couple of different things. To make a long story not as short as it should have been. I've played my Paly a lot. You are totally fine with stam and I probably would have recommended you put points in it. Getting some gear and really understanding the class to utilize it's utility is way more important than those starting stats.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm kind of sleep deprived so this has been less coherent than it could have been.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

The real answer is CHA and nothing else comes close.

Its the only one with a noticeable effect. Lull-breaking camps will always be more mana efficient than trying to root multiple mobs.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real answer is CHA and nothing else comes close.

Its the only one with a noticeable effect. Lull-breaking camps will always be more mana efficient than trying to root multiple mobs.
CHA is definitely useful for that currently (though I hope to see Lull eventually nerfed back to classic effectiveness). But it's important to note you're not necessarily a puller as a Pally, but you are necessarily a tank and STA is non-trivial to cap, esp. on a weak race.

Don't 4D chess yourself, go STA.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

Str is good at low level, sta is good at high levels. Sta won't kick in until maybe 30 and even then its not much until higher level, unless you have a full suit of crustacean.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:23 PM
Fire Giant

If you want to go full solo hack and slash, dwarf is much better. Even dwarf is a bit weak on str but its still the only strong good race, minus Barb.

I don't know anything about solo with cha or wis. (Using lull etc.) I would like to find that out myself one day.

As dwarf, I still would probably go mostly sta though. I wouldn't be afraid to put points into str because I'd rather simply level my character.

Edit: Oh yea don't forget to get your agi to 75 if you're dwarf.
Last edited by A Knight; 04-10-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Old 04-11-2021, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

If you are self-funded as well as solo (i.e. not twinked, playing from scratch) str is the way to go (unless dwarf). Armor is heavy, weapons are heavy, loot is heavy, and an overweight solo paladin is begging for death.

If you're twinked go whichever way the wind blows that day.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CHA is definitely useful for that currently (though I hope to see Lull eventually nerfed back to classic effectiveness). But it's important to note you're not necessarily a puller as a Pally, but you are necessarily a tank and STA is non-trivial to cap, esp. on a weak race.

Don't 4D chess yourself, go STA.
Let's not get this account of yours also banned with your more of your classic fairy tales, azxten.

I'd be curious to know how you managed to read from stat allocation all the way to paladin yet somehow missed the most important word: solo.

Anyways, the interesting thing about charisma in EQ is that it's better and better to higher it is in a relative sense.

For instance, going increasing your cha from 150 to 200 might decrease critical lulls chance from 10% down to 5%. While that's only a "5%" benefit for that 50 charisma, relatively speaking without that extra 50 cha you are twice as likely to get q a cirtical lull. and these numbers im using are probably not too far off from actual in game ones.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd be curious to know how you managed to read from stat allocation all the way to paladin yet somehow missed the most important word: solo.
I've soloed 6 melee to 46+ (most to 50+) mostly untwinked, and STA is my recommendation. Hit points are very important when soloing. In a few instances, I've put some starting points into STR to help with encumbrance issues and it was OK. Now that those chars are higher level, I do wish it was STA, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't useful at the time. So if you're literally going to be a HIE wearing banded and saving up for HP rings, STR could be a good choice.

If you're debating between CHA and STA, I don't think it's close. CHA gear is cheap and easy to swap to if you want to lull to break a camp and is otherwise useless. I'd suggest picking up some of the pieces other posts have suggested.

Just my 2cp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's not get this account of yours also banned with your more of your classic fairy tales, azxten.
Basically every thread you've ever posted in is filled with people vehemently disagreeing with you. Not sure why you decided this time, there could only be one person behind the accounts, but I'm into it. Keep up the paranoia, chief.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:09 AM
Fire Giant

High wisdom class + stat points for paladin (same for sk but int) because your spells are the only thing between you and becoming a second rate warrior