Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the current Scout setup?
Keep it as-is, because a random amongst 40 people in perpetuity is fun. 166 77.93%
This compromise sounds like an acceptable melding of opinions. 13 6.10%
The current setup sucks, but I want something different outlined below. 34 15.96%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

100 players made an enforced rule happen for 2k+ players wrap your head around that one
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Anyone who doesn't like scout roll doesn't like good things. Scout and Ring 8 are some of the only decent things about this server. Player agreements are much better than dick waving clickfests. Work together you numpties.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Sarnak

I'm trolling, the roll off is fine. You should be able to sell the disk or loot it on whatever alt you want, or give it to a friend though

Autofire era was dumb, a very few people would usually win and half the Captains would rot
Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry pal, this doesn't sound very reasonable. There are just a lot of people rolling because the items are good and the barrier to entry is low. Short of mechanics changes, a roll is the least bad option. Click fests are worse.
As someone who lost the ring 8 roll 61 times total (which is a much higher Barrier to entry) before finally getting it on a quake, I feel like a roll is the most fair way to do it and agree with gat. As soon as you let buyers loot the piece you will have people literally show up every day lotto style for their chance at an easy 20-30k

Fun side note: One time me and a guildie actually tied for the winning roll and rather than a re roll we dueled for it in front of the crowd which was a fun experience (even though I was brutally slain lol)
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jensen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the thing, there is no barrier to entry right now. Faction? pfft. You show up, you get free loot - you don't even need friends for it. Personally, I'm a fan of not letting simple chance dictating whether you accomplish something or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jensen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a fan of not letting simple chance dictating whether you accomplish something or not
What do you think a click fest is?!? Unless you use autofire, it's simple chance dictating whether you accomplish something or not.

Clickfest and /random are both random rolls: the only difference is one is fair to everyone, and one allows cheaters to potentially use banned (but hard to detect) programs.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Kobold

DKP Scout roll. Maintained by OP. 1 DKP per Scout roll attended.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you think a click fest is?!? Unless you use autofire, it's simple chance dictating whether you accomplish something or not.

Clickfest and /random are both random rolls: the only difference is one is fair to everyone, and one allows cheaters to potentially use banned (but hard to detect) programs.
A clickfest isn't chance based. Specifically, it overwhelmingly goes to low ping player(s).

That's why back in clickwar days, the "FTE" would invariably be won by a few players like Taborlin, who used a combination of low pings and prepositioned trade windows to consistently win the turnin, then either sell the MQ or let the mobs depop if they couldn't. That's before you even get into autofire or client alteration speculation; this was all potentially legitimate under clickwar rules.

Gatmanno only got his Talisman because Taborlin took pity on me one day and let me bring an Awakened force for a turnin he couldn't kill anyway. My odds of winning were extremely low, simply because of my ping being >100ms. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by zodium; 09-08-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A clickfest isn't chance based. Specifically, it overwhelmingly goes to low ping player(s).

That's why back in clickwar days, the "FTE" would invariably be won by a few players like Taborlin, who used a combination of low pings and prepositioned trade windows to consistently win the turnin, then either sell the MQ or let the mobs depop if they couldn't. That's before you even get into autofire or client alteration speculation; this was all potentially legitimate under clickwar rules.

Gatmanno only got his Talisman because Taborlin took pity on me one day and let me bring an Awakened force for a turnin he couldn't kill anyway. My odds of winning were extremely low, simply because of my ping being >100ms. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm skeptical that Autofire was never a factor, but that's a really excellent point. So to revise what I said, both are random, but rolls are random in a way that's fair to everyone, whereas clickfests are random but (heavily?) biased towards people with low ping connections (and/or a willingness to cheat).

The point remains that if OP claims to be against random rolls, then they should be against click fests, because click fests are still random rolls (or worse) unless the OP happens to have an exceptionally good connection and/or plans to cheat.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-08-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Sarnak

50k from winning a scout roll sure would have been nice when I was levelling as a cleric. I would have passed up Talisman to buy my epic and been very happy with that
Old 09-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Kobold

Clickfests ain't random... and they require more effort on a person's part than simply showing up. And, by that token, they weed out half the people who don't have the initiative to put forth that effort, automatically assume the world is out to get them, and give up in dejection.

Whereas, with /random, anyone and their inbred cousin shows up for free loot. Nothing personal against Kentucky.
Closed Thread